Sent out 15 queries and no read requests, but feeling good

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
The query obviously wasn't ready for the big-time, so I'm glad I didn't blast more agents with it. I think it's helpful to get used to rejection too - it seems to be the way things work in this world.

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
You seem to have the right mindset. Taking rejections can get brutal at times and it's good to know when you need to do more work on your query. I suspect queries are among the most important letters we ever write. A few paragraphs to convince someone that they want to read your story and agent it.

What genre are you working in? Have you checked out any query writing sites?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I agree with the others. Responses can take time. If you specifically targeted the fifteen as the top tier agents for you, I'd start working on your next book and give it 6 months or so before you think about querying again. :)

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
You seem to have the right mindset. Taking rejections can get brutal at times and it's good to know when you need to do more work on your query. I suspect queries are among the most important letters we ever write. A few paragraphs to convince someone that they want to read your story and agent it.

What genre are you working in? Have you checked out any query writing sites?

It's YA Sci-Fi. Yeah I've read queries on queryshark and I had posted it to a couple sci-fi writing sites and /r/writing on reddit

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
How long ago did you send out the queries? Were they all at the same time?

And woohoo! Scifi!

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
haha. Yes, mostly at the same time - Back in January, and I tracked them with either marking an explicit rejection, or keeping track of how long they said they would take to respond

Status
Not open for further replies.