• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Booktour.tips

SpotlessMind

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about booktour.tips? I'm wary because they seem to have ties with Orangeberry.

NotAWriter

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Finally found this thread. I am wary also. I think the people at Orangeberry have opened up under a new name. I found this
https://twitter.com/BookTourTips

sorry if this is to large admin/mods. Newbie here trying to see if any one else had questions about this fake company.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, much too large. I've replaced it with a link to the page until such time as you can resize it.

NotAWriter

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry CaoPaux I have made it smaller.

wAdSIgzs.png

Or view at this link - http://imgur.com/wAdSIgz

So does anyone know anything about this company? It seems very shady marketing practices when a company needs to send out unrequested marketing emails.

SpotlessMind

Registered
Reaction score
I had a tour with Orangeberry that, along with being just a bunch of fabricated spammy websites, also promised a couple dozen reviews, only a couple of which materialized. I contacted them several times, asking for my reviews. Sometime after Orangeberry closed (supposedly due to illness) I came in contact with "Kate O'Connell." She said that she was helping Orangeberry owner Pandora fulfill promised services. I was instantly suspicious, mostly because pretty much every aspect of Orangeberry I have seen has not been truthful, but I asked her when I could expect my (very, very late) reviews. She said I should get them by June. It is July. And no one is at all surprised that I have gotten a single additional review, nowhere near what I am owed.

With what I've seen posted here, I am even more convinced that this new book tour group is just Orangeberry slapped with a coat of paint and a new name.

SpotlessMind

Registered
Reaction score
I took another look at one of the images above of the Twitter account. Interestingly, she apparently had a group for the Quality UK Reads, the (by all appearances fake) group that supposedly did the blogs and reviews for Orangeberry.

Last edited:

SpotlessMind

Registered
Reaction score
I recently came across this interview with the owner of Booktour.Tips: http://www.authorceo.com/2015/03/vetting-vendors-blog-tour-tips-with-kate-annamal-oconnell/

The thing I find most interesting is this passage:

"I have nothing against writing forums that help authors develop better writing skills, but I see so many authors use writing forums as a platform for, “but this happened to me” and “that happened to me.” Book marketing does not work like that. While you have some common ground, books are like individuals. Each one is different. Blog Tour Type 1 from Company A worked for you. It might not for anyone else."

I find it interesting that she is actively discouraging authors from comparing notes about what has worked and what hasn't worked. While she's right that all books are different, when authors do not get together and compare notes, they are easy prey for scammers like Orangeberry. And possibly Booktour.Tips. (And, in my experience and many of the people I've talked to, book blog tours in general.)

SpotlessMind

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the site has vanished I wonder if/when/where they'll pop up again?

SpotlessMind

Registered
Reaction score
AND they're back. Pity. They don't seemed to have updated their book of the day since February, though, and the @booktourtips twitter account is full of spam.