The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Promotion] Books Butterfly

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb Kinnard View Post
    CTripp, isn't Harlequin still stiffing their authors by sequestering their e-book royalties in a wholly-owned subsidiary corporation? I think the actual royalty figure as received by the author was in the neighborhood of 4%. The authors lost a class-action suit over this, IIRC.
    I think the class action suit was settled in the authors' favour last summer, but might be wrong; and I also think Harlequin stopped doing the thing they were sued for quite a while ago--2011, perhaps. But I've not checked and my memory is fallible, so don't quote me on this.

That doesn't make Book Butterfly's assertions any more or less true. It's common knowledge that in real-money terms, advances for trade published authors are either flat (I saw one author say she was still getting about $2000 US, identical to advances she'd received in the 70s) or dropping. But, of course, trade publishers can always pay seven figure advances to a celebrity.
    I have friends who are regularly getting advances in the tens of thousands, who aren't celebrities or even established authors. So much depends on the book, the genre, and so on that I'm not sure we can determine that advances have not risen with inflation, or that they've dropped.

People want to work with a friendly face that's on their side, not defensive wall-of-text folk that threaten legal action (deserved or not) - all of these reponses are so damaging to your public image.
    Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
    Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
    Website Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BooksButterfly View Post
    Lots of attempts to destroy us over the years. And all for one reason - the dinosaurs are scared to death of indie authors, the mammals
    Quote Originally Posted by BooksButterfly View Post
    the promotion companies and promotion channels are helping you. However, the only real solution is if the bookstores decide to go with the future OR a platform emerges that helps the mammals instead of defending the dinosaurs
    Just thought I'd mention that birds are theropod dinosaurs and there are almost twice as many species of them than there are mammals.

hth
    She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Scribe of the girls in the basement Marissa D's Avatar
    New England but hankering for the old one
    The Harlequin suit was settled out of court for (IIRC around $4 million.)

And yes, what CameronJohnston said.

That door could be a time portal... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    Marissa, do you know whether any of the HQ authors who were stiffed got any of the settlement money?
    WIP: "Seasons of Hope," 1356, Cornwall

Three-part time travel romance. Part One, SEASONS IN THE MIST now available, Desert Breeze
    Part Two, SEASONS OF RECKONING, releasing in April, Desert Breeze

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis

Scribe of the girls in the basement Marissa D's Avatar
    New England but hankering for the old one
    I don't know if they've actually received any cash yet, but one of the authors who brought the suit is a friend--I'll ask next time I see her at a chapter meeting (if I can find a non-awkward way to do so.)

practical experience, FTW Casey Karp's Avatar
    There's an article about the Harlequin lawsuit by Patricia McLinn in the Authors Guild Winter Bulletin which begins "Sitting in front of me is the settlement check I received from a class action lawsuit against Harlequin."

So yes, at least some of the authors have received their money from the settlement.
    The RagTime Traveler: Coming from Poisoned Pen Press, June 2017!

The Stairs, The Guides, and the Bay Area Splat Squad
    : On hiatus (Query thread for minor historical value)
    Lord Peter's Eyes: Querying!
    Mo'less Jones: On hold
    No Title Yet: Writing, writing, writing

Wanna talk tech, SFF, or cats? Drop me a note.

Blogging regularly at Koi Scribblings

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123