Cracked.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springs

Registered
Reaction score
So, I've decided to pitch a few articles to Cracked.com. It seems like fun, it'll definitely give me a chance to try something different from my usual writing, and I'll hopefully make a little bit of money off of it. However, I have to decide whether or not to use my real name when I finally get an article published. I'd really like to see my actual name on the articles, but I was wondering whether it would be a help or a hindrance to my fiction writing once I get to the point where I'm trying to publish. My current WIP is a YA contemporary/magical realism-type book, so not comedy but nothing too serious, either. I know John Dies At The End was written by someone from Cracked using the same pen name and has achieved some success, but I wasn't sure if it would be different for someone writing a book that isn't an outright comedy. Any opinions?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is a decent clip so I don't see it making you look bad in any way. But I personally put some freelance work under a different name if I think it is too far from my main fiction brand.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I actually wouldn't call Cracked a straight comedy website, at least not in the same sense as say, The Onion, where every word is pure silliness. In recent years, Cracked has addressed a lot of serious topics (albeit liberally seasoned with humor).

Therefore, as a regular Cracked reader, I would personally be very open to reading a serious work by someone whose articles I'd enjoyed. There is one caveat. I'd want fair warning that the work wasn't comedy, not because it would change my level of interest, but because it would change my expectations.

Have you ever taken a swing of orange juice when you forgot you had juice and therefore expected the taste of milk? The juice could be delicious, but for one stomach-churning moment your brain screams, "This is the most disgusting milk I've ever tasted!"

To avoid that scenario, I'd put a disclaimer on any links from the article to the book that basically said, "Hey, FYI...this is juice." (Or translated into non-crazy: "Believe it or not, Springs writes serious stuff too! Check out...blah, blah, plug for book.")

That's my vote. Others might feel differently.

Last edited:

Springs

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Unless someone posts something really negative between now and whenever the planets decide to align, I'll use my own name

Status
Not open for further replies.