The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Rogue agents

Gordon Thorburn

Rogue agents

Greetings to all from sunny Devon, UK. Over here we have publishers who draw you in to a self-publishing scam and who steal your idea and run off with it, but we don't (as far as I know) have agents who do such things.

I have just started to look for a US agent and already I have found one who is a front for a self-pub racket (this one is on your Ten Most Unwanted list, which I hadn't seen at the time). Another said she couldn't be interested in me because she was already working on a similar project. Hm, well, possible, but very unlikely.

I've managed reasonably well without a UK agent but I don't think I can do that so far away across the pond. Any ideas for a solid, reliable agent interested in World War II non-fiction?

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Thorburn
    Any ideas for a solid, reliable agent interested in World War II non-fiction?
    May I recommend a way to start researching both agents and publishers interested in such books? Go to Amazon. Search for books on that topic. Note the publishers, and find out who agented the books. (The Index at the top of this forum lists threads that tell you how to do this.) Ask some of the fine people on AW to see which of those books are actually in bookstores, because an Amazon listing doesn't mean much. Research those publishers and agents (again, the Index lists threads on how to do this), and submit to the ones you find most promising, following their guidelines exactly.

The very best of luck to you.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

practical experience, FTW Tilly's Avatar
    Ditto what Aconite said, and when in doubt, contact Writer Beware.

These also might be useful to you:

http://accrispin.blogspot.com/

http://www.sff.net/people/VictoriaSt...entsearch.html

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/

Good luck!

(And where the merry hell did the sun go? It's gone all overcast, that will teach me to go and do some weeding.)
    Last edited by Tilly; 04-06-2006 at 05:47 PM.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    If I recall correctly, John Ware was Stephen Ambrose's agent.