AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: [Contest] Less Than 100 Words

  1. #1
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4

    [Contest] Less Than 100 Words

    Hello

    New writing competition where you need to write a story in less than 100 words! Cash prizes coming in the near future.

    Enter now for free if you are up to the challenge,

    http://Www.lessthan100words.com

  2. #2
    Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In chaos
    Posts
    21,566
    The site is full of punctuation and grammar errors (just look at the domain name), and the rules given don't specify rights or reversion. I'd avoid.

  3. #3
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,519
    What's wrong with the domain name, other than the capital W?

    The website wasn't flawless, but it wasn't riddled with errors.

  4. #4
    Insufferable Know-It-All TuckerMcCallahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    House That Love Built
    Posts
    41

    RUN, RUN AWAY!

    Quote Originally Posted by chompers View Post
    What's wrong with the domain name, other than the capital W?

    The website wasn't flawless, but it wasn't riddled with errors.
    What concerned me most about this "Less Than 100 Words" contest was the fine print... They're actually an offshoot of another site called firstwriter.com and after ten minutes on that site my blood ran cold.

    Any site that wants to bill me to create an account ($4.49), then bill me again to upgrade that account ($39.99), then bill me again to maintain that account($39.99), and then bill me some more if I actually use any of their products or services (no quotes given for editing, formatting or publishing), and oh hey, did I mention they'll bill me a little more if I change my email address and forget to tell them (non-notification fee, $75), and oh wait - they'll bill me more again for disputed payments ($45 fee) or late payments ($15 fee).

    AND NO REFUNDS.

    No thanks on their contest, which if you win gives you a voucher that's worth $15 to use toward a subscription on firstwriter.com.

    Tux, sprinting in the opposite direction

  5. #5
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by TuckerMcCallahan View Post
    What concerned me most about this "Less Than 100 Words" contest was the fine print... They're actually an offshoot of another site called firstwriter.com and after ten minutes on that site my blood ran cold.

    Any site that wants to bill me to create an account ($4.49), then bill me again to upgrade that account ($39.99), then bill me again to maintain that account($39.99), and then bill me some more if I actually use any of their products or services (no quotes given for editing, formatting or publishing), and oh hey, did I mention they'll bill me a little more if I change my email address and forget to tell them (non-notification fee, $75), and oh wait - they'll bill me more again for disputed payments ($45 fee) or late payments ($15 fee).

    AND NO REFUNDS.

    No thanks on their contest, which if you win gives you a voucher that's worth $15 to use toward a subscription on firstwriter.com.

    Tux, sprinting in the opposite direction
    Ah, that is different than saying it was full of grammatical errors, as mentioned above. This is alarming information. Yikes. (I didn't read the fine print, mainly because I had no intention of entering :P )

  6. #6
    I aim to misbehave Myrealana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,260
    Quote Originally Posted by chompers View Post
    What's wrong with the domain name, other than the capital W?
    I think the Old Hack is concerned about "Less than 100" vs. "Fewer than 100."
    -- Myrea
    "When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won. Donít let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

  7. #7
    Now with bonus eyelashes AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cheering you all on!
    Posts
    57,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrealana View Post
    I think the Old Hack is concerned about "Less than 100" vs. "Fewer than 100."
    My guess as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by TuckerMcCallahan View Post
    What concerned me most about this "Less Than 100 Words" contest was the fine print... They're actually an offshoot of another site called firstwriter.com and after ten minutes on that site my blood ran cold.

    Any site that wants to bill me to create an account ($4.49), then bill me again to upgrade that account ($39.99), then bill me again to maintain that account($39.99), and then bill me some more if I actually use any of their products or services (no quotes given for editing, formatting or publishing), and oh hey, did I mention they'll bill me a little more if I change my email address and forget to tell them (non-notification fee, $75), and oh wait - they'll bill me more again for disputed payments ($45 fee) or late payments ($15 fee).

    AND NO REFUNDS.

    No thanks on their contest, which if you win gives you a voucher that's worth $15 to use toward a subscription on firstwriter.com.

    Tux, sprinting in the opposite direction
    Run away, indeed
    Paranormal Bromance and Joy (PB&J) - NaNoWriMo - 40,596 words

    "This isn't Scooby Doo. We're not meddling kids who are going to find clues and solve the mystery."
    "This is Scooby Doo, except the monsters and witches are real, and they have your family! You and Joy are the only ones who can do anything about it."




  8. #8
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    28,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrealana View Post
    I think the Old Hack is concerned about "Less than 100" vs. "Fewer than 100."
    Incorrect use of ellipses, periods considered optional, etc.
    Emily Veinglory

  9. #9
    Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In chaos
    Posts
    21,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrealana View Post
    I think the Old Hack is concerned about "Less than 100" vs. "Fewer than 100."
    I was!

    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Incorrect use of ellipses, periods considered optional, etc.
    I noticed all that too.

    None of these things are good when it's a writing-related site.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Run away, indeed
    Run away FAST. That's my advice.

  10. #10
    Moderator AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    I did not shoot the deputy
    Posts
    40,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    Run away FAST. That's my advice.
    Clearly you have not seen me run. I shall instead lumber away at a pace approaching scuttle. (Scurry is beyond me.)
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

    Brick by Brick, a mťnage ŗ trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

  11. #11
    Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In chaos
    Posts
    21,566
    Maryn, you and I shall lumber away together. It's far more dignified than scurrying.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search