A tree with lights in the snow at night

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: White Police Officer Charged With Murder Of Black Man

Keep Calm & Love a Black Woman nighttimer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nighttimer View Post
    If Officer Slager is charged, he won't be indicted. If indicted he won't be put on trial. If put on trial, he won't be convicted. If convicted, he won't be imprisoned and he will NEVER be sentenced to death.

Officer Slager walks. Any takers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marian Perera View Post
    You forgot the part where someone starts a fundraiser for him.
    Oh, I didn't forget. I just want to, but as sure as God made little green apples there will be a fundraiser set up for Slager.

Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    The really disturbing question is, How much of this stuff took place on a routine basis, hidden from public view, before video cameras became ubiquitous?
    You're so young and innocent. Don't ever change, blacbird.

There have always been cops who shoot and kill unarmed suspects, plant weapons on them and walk away from it and that is what would have happened had not someone filmed it.

Yet time and again, though the camera never lies, it doesn't always lead to the truth and I have no faith it will in this case.
    It is a dangerous time to be a black woman in America. Its a time when we are not safe in the streets or at home or at school or at work and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it. Nobody. Not us. Not our mamas. Not the police. Not the people we elected to look out for our interests. Nobody. Were just out here.
    Pearl Cleage

Watch This Space

Quote Originally Posted by Vince524 View Post
    Could be. After the cop shoots him, he walks back to where they stood before and picks something up. I guessing the tazer, but I can't be sure. Then he walks over and drops something near the body, again I assume the tazer.

But a tazer isn't a gun, it's basically a dart gun. I could be wrong, but don't tazer's only hold 1 shot? If the cop fired the tazer at the victim, unless he missed, wouldn't the autopsy show it? And wouldn't that in and of itself disprove the entire story?
    You don't need an autopsy to see if someone was shot by a taser. The darts are barbed and tend to stay lodged in the skin, and they often leave burn marks. The cop did shoot the taser, you can see the wires in the video. But apparently it didn't incapacitate the victim, which is not that uncommon.

Perpetually confused LittlePinto's Avatar
    I just want to, but as sure as God made little green apples there will be a fundraiser set up for Slager.
    Well, Fundraiser Version 1.0 didn't last long.

So, how long before cameras on phones are banned?

For the sake of your country, I hope Slager gets convicted. It will tear itself apart if he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    what's more, for fucks sake---run after the guy.

my 70yr old father could have overtaken that guy in about 3 seconds.
    Why bother? Slager had eight little friends that could all run faster than Scott.

While it's contrary to my naturally optimistic disposition to play the part of the contrarian, for all those whom are certain Officer Slager will be prosecuted for killing Walter Scott, I have four words for you:

Don't believe the hype.

Police in South Carolina have fired their weapons at 209 suspects in the past five years, and a handful of officers have been accused of pulling the trigger illegally – but none has being convicted, according to an analysis by The State newspaper.

In South Carolina, it remains exceedingly rare for an officer to be found at fault criminally for shooting at someone.

In an unusual turnaround, prosecutors late last year filed a spate of charges for use of excessive force against three white officers in the shootings of black drivers. Only one went to trial but resulted in a hung jury.

There are many reasons why prosecutions and convictions of officers are unusual.

First of all, the public – including juries – puts trust in police and expects that officers’ training teaches them how to use force properly.

Second, when the suspect is armed, it’s difficult to say a shooting wasn’t justified. The officer is defending himself or others from someone who wants to get away at all costs or, in rare cases, hurt an officer intentionally.
    The good faith many Americans place in our justice system is devout and guileless. unfortunately, the hard truth is their faith is all too frequently false and unfounded.

Maybe things will be different this time, huh?
    Last edited by nighttimer; 04-08-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    It is a dangerous time to be a black woman in America. Its a time when we are not safe in the streets or at home or at school or at work and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it. Nobody. Not us. Not our mamas. Not the police. Not the people we elected to look out for our interests. Nobody. Were just out here.
    Pearl Cleage

Watch This Space

practical experience, FTW Maze Runner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teinz View Post

For the sake of your country, I hope Slager gets convicted. It will tear itself apart if he doesn't.
    You know, I almost wish this were true, or at least enough so that there is significant change, but most likely it will fade quickly into history. Maybe because of the size of the country, or the rapid speed in which egregious incidents are hurled into our consciousness; or it could be due the youth of a country that has little interest in looking backward, but it is remarkable how quickly events like this become yesterday's news and therefore irrelevant.

The good faith many Americans place in our justice system is devout and guileless. unfortunately, the hard truth is their faith is all too frequently false and unfounded.

Maybe things will be different this time, huh?
    Or as is the case in Edmonton demonstrated, somebody doing something that is implicitly condoned or encouraged will get away with it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/ci...peal-1.3016603

In the case of the Bradley Barton, he had sex with a native prostitute (her name was Cindy Gladue.) In doing so he killed her. It's all right.

There is an appeal to be heard. But we'll see.

Don't see any way? That's a joke right?

I'll make a friendly wager. I got $20 on this cop not being found guilty of murder.

If Officer Slager is charged, he won't be indicted. If indicted he won't be put on trial. If put on trial, he won't be convicted. If convicted, he won't be imprisoned and he will NEVER be sentenced to death.

i'll take it.

Thorn Forest: A Gift for AW

My poems on Twitter. Please proceed in an orderly fashion.

Juries have been bad about convicting, but it's still a big improvement to see the legal system seriously pursuing charges on more cases. Cops knowing that their departments and prosecuting attorneys have their backs no matter what is the green light to do this, imho. The first step to fix that really is to have the law treat it appropriately.

I don't trust juries on it, though. It only takes one to side with the cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Teinz View Post

Bans on cellphone cameras for the country? I appreciate the concern over the injustices, but that's not going to happen (I hope that's obvious).

One of the reasons these situations have been so divisive is because people have much different experiences with cops here. It's hard for them to believe the other side, imho. I'd really think in this case it's crystal clear, but then you factor the pure racists into it and nothing matters. There aren't enough of them to tear the country apart, but there may be enough to keep juries deadlocked

I think I wish these cases could just go in front of judges, not juries. ??? What do you do about a pernicious percentage of the population being lost causes? Maybe just a better and different voire dire process. If this one doesn't convict, I'll be convinced we need something serious like that changed within the legal system.
    It's Woman, by Kraft. All your favourite classic flavours like virgin, whore, damsel, black widow and now all-new feminazi! Extra spicy!
    --
    BunnyMaz

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
    -- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
    Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
    And he raved of saving me

Please donate or volunteer: http://www.karmakrew.org/Home_Page.html

Quote Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
    i'll take it.
    I never doubted you would...
    Pearl Cleage

Watch This Space

Oh, and btw, why did we only hear this man's rap sheet until yesterday? Why did we hear the cop's resume yet not even know that this man was also a vet of the same service?

The media has a lot to do with the subtle but important perceptions emphasized in stories like this early on. See also Martese Johnson (who just got stitches, thank God): http://abcnews.go.com/US/uva-student...ry?id=29927704

People don't like to have to change their minds. The early reporting is kind of crucial.
    It's Woman, by Kraft. All your favourite classic flavours like virgin, whore, damsel, black widow and now all-new feminazi! Extra spicy!
    --
    BunnyMaz

-- Celia Cyanide

Quote Originally Posted by backslashbaby View Post
    Oh, and btw, why did we only hear this man's rap sheet until yesterday? Why did we hear the cop's resume yet not even know that this man was also a vet of the same service?
    Because he was a criminal suspect from the beginning (but of course is now a victim) insofar as he apparently got pulled over, then fled on foot. No one seems to be questioning that. Plus, there was an outstanding warrant on him.

I don't find this shocking or outrageous, at all.

Still doesn't justify or mitigate Slager's actions in the least.
    I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death. --Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by CassandraW
    You're a smug, sneering, ranting asshole, and yet even when I despise your position, I like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by swachski
    You're a gentleman and a scholar...
    Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
    Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
    Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

I, Westworld: player pianos and the human condition

Quote Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
    Because he was a criminal suspect from the beginning (but of course is now a victim) insofar as he apparently got pulled over, then fled on foot. No one seems to be questioning that. Plus, there was an outstanding warrant on him.

I don't find this shocking or outrageous, at all.

Still doesn't justify or mitigate Slager's actions in the least.
    But maybe when someone is killed by police, reporters should get some background on them just for a complete story. There's no reason why who they were isn't relevant to a story on their death.

Then the perception problem would also be worked out in case the real story is something like this.
    --
    BunnyMaz

-- Celia Cyanide

Are you gonna finish that bacon? Vince524's Avatar

I'll make a friendly wager. I got $20 on this cop not being found guilty of murder.

Quote Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
    i'll take it.
    I never doubted you would...
    Just for those of us following along, who wins if Slager is convicted, but doesn't get the death penalty?

But maybe when someone is killed by police, reporters should get some background on them just for a complete story. There's no reason why who they were isn't relevant to a story on their death.

Then the perception problem would also be worked out in case the real story is something like this.
    Usually, reporters do dig up anything in the public record on the cop. If it shows the person has a habit of pulling their gun, or many complaints filed even if they were found unfounded, (The equivalent in many cases as a not guilty verdict, meaning not enough evidence.)

Both Scott and Slager's past histories will be examined and in fairness, if Slager has been involved in any other officer-related shootings or any complaints of police brutality (there was one in 2013), it would be slipshod reporting not to mention it.

Scott's prior criminal record will doubtlessly be examined as a reason for why he attempted to escape Slager despite being stopped for something as minor as a broken brake light.

Quote Originally Posted by backslashbaby
    People don't like to have to change their minds. The early reporting is kind of crucial.
    Yes it is, but far, FAR too often in the media the emphasis is put on getting it first instead of getting it right.
    Last edited by nighttimer; 04-08-2015 at 11:41 PM.
    Pearl Cleage

Watch This Space

Usually, reporters do dig up anything in the public record on the cop. If it shows the person has a habit of pulling their gun, or many complaints filed even if they were found unfounded, (The equivalent in many cases as a not guilty verdict, meaning not enough evidence.)
    The Post and Courier not only reviewed Slager's record on the police force but they also filed a FOIA to get his Coast Guard records. Apparently there was nothing in the CG file of interest and there were only two complaints on his police record. One of those was for "unnecessary use of force;" however, he was exonerated. (Here's the link. I've posted it before.)

Also, the original attorney as quoted in that article dropped Slager as a client.

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePinto View Post
    Also, the original attorney as quoted in that article dropped Slager as a client.
    Attorneys don't drop their clients because they believe they are guilty. Or because it's going to be a tough case.

But if a client flat out lies to his attorney about the specifics of a case, that's a different thing and can cause an attorney to withdraw when the lies are discovered.
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

practical experience, FTW
    He's now been fired. This incident is shaping up as a good deal more cut-and-dried than the debacle in Ferguson, Missouri.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Just for those of us following along, who wins if Slager is convicted, but doesn't get the death penalty?
    me.

Thorn Forest: A Gift for AW

My poems on Twitter. Please proceed in an orderly fashion.

Techno-Cathar Perfect Diana Hignutt's Avatar
    Slager?
    Read my New Science Fiction Novel, A Dancer in the Infinite as a Serial (updated at least twice weekly) on My blog:
    The Many Worlds of Diana Hignutt

Buy Moonsword on Amazon Kindle for only $.99 through October 25, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    Attorneys don't drop their clients because they believe they are guilty. Or because it's going to be a tough case.

But if a client flat out lies to his attorney about the specifics of a case, that's a different thing and can cause an attorney to withdraw when the lies are discovered.
    Yup. That seems to be what the article is inferring. Talk about an attorney's worst nightmare.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    An attorney is virtually obligated to jettison a client under such circumstances.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Officer Slager walks.
    I have to agree with this. Rodney King was cut and dried and ON video tape. The officers walked. Michael Brown was how many feet away from Wilson when Wilson shot? No charges. The death of Eric Garner was taped. No charges. The shooting of the child in Cleveland, Tamir Rice, was caught on tape. No charges.

All of these were disgusting. But nothing happened to the officers.

In SC alone, there have been more than 200 shootings by cops in the last five years and nothing happened. None of the cops were even charged until late last summer.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...shootings.html

Someone else compiled all the shootings in March 2015 in the US and compared that to England. There were 111 shootings in March. In England there have been 69 shootings since 1900. That is in more than 100 years.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04...k-infographic/

Unless we want more cold blooded killings by cops (and the planting of guns on dead men by police has been conventional wisdom since the 1970's), the police MUST be held accountable.

And I think there are more shootings, not just that it's being taped. The training of the cops has changed since 9/11. They are being trained to treat civilians as the enemy. Like with an occupying army, only the safety of the officers count. That is the way they behave.

Unless things change, the cops will devolve into armed thugs with shields.
    Last edited by onuilmar; 04-09-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
    Slager?
    I don't know if being convicted of murder should be called a win. Especially for those on this board who are opposed to capital punishment. Personally, I'm not in cases where there's no doubt so I'm okay with it here.

Quote Originally Posted by onuilmar View Post
    I have to agree with this. Rodney King was cut and dried and ON video tape. The officers walked. Michael Brown was how many feet away from Wilson when Wilson shot? No charges. The death of Eric Garner was taped. No charges. The shooting of the child in Cleveland, Tamir Rice, was caught on tape. No charges.

All of these were disgusting. But nothing happened to the officers.

In SC alone, there have been more than 200 shootings by cops in the last five years and nothing happened. None of the cops were even charged until late last summer.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...shootings.html

Someone else compiled all the shootings in March 2015 in the US and compared that to England. There were 111 shootings in March. In England there have been 69 shootings since 1900. That is in more than 100 years.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04...k-infographic/

Unless we want more cold blooded killings by cops (and the planting of guns on dead men by police has been conventional wisdom since the 1970's), the police MUST be held accountable.

And I think there are more shootings, not just that it's being taped. The training of the cops has changed since 9/11. They are being trained to treat civilians as the enemy. Like with an occupying army, only the safety of the officers count. That is the way they behave.

Unless things change, the cops will devolve into armed thugs with shields.
    Each incident still has to be judged on it's own merits and facts. We can't start convicting cops based on the idea that all cops are guilty until proven innocent.

Wilson wasn't indicted because the evidence was in his favor. That's by both the Grand Jury and the federal report. People disagree and I don't want to go through that whole argument again, but there wasn't evidence enough to bring him to trial. Brown may have been several feet away, but the evidence showed he was coming towards Wilson, not running away.

King was another story. But the tape showed more than what the news showed and the state botched that case by charging them incorrectly. 2 of them were then indicted and convicted on federal charges.

In terms of Garner, I'm at a loss there since I don't know what the GJ heard, although I suspect that they may have believed that the choke hold may not have caused his death as much as the fact that he was left down and not given medical treatment ASAP. Which means they may have brought the wrong cop before the GJ, but I could be wrong about that.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast