Jeb Bush: "Funny, You Don't Look Hispanic..."

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know Jeb Bush would like to woo Hispanic voters to support him, but this might be taking it too far.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, a likely Republican presidential candidate in 2016, self-identified as Hispanic in a 2009 voter-registration application, The New York Times reports, citing the application it obtained from the Miami-Dade County Elections Department.

A spokeswoman for Bush could not explain the characterization to the newspaper.

Bush, the brother of a former president and the son of another, hails from one of the country's most-prominent political and business families. Indeed, Burke's Peerage, a directory of royalty, lists the Bush family's connections to European royal families.

The Times notes, Bush "speaks fluent Spanish. His wife, Columba Bush, was born in Mexico. For two years in his 20s, he lived in Venezuela, immersing himself in the country's culture." Bush, a former Florida governor, has long advocated appealing to Spanish-speaking voters. Univision, the Spanish-language network, even labeled him a "Hispanic candidate."

It is possible that Bush's self-identification was in error, but, as The Times notes, heritage is serious business in politics. Democrat Elizabeth Warren's claims of Cherokee ancestry during her academic career sparked controversy when she was running for the U.S. Senate in 2012.
No comment from Poppy Bush about Jeb's new ethnic identification, but at least he didn't claim he was Black.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
What is this? Some little box he had to check? That's easy enough to believe it could be a mistake. Especially if whomever was filling out out (It may not have been Jeb himself) had just done one for the wife. That's a long way off to verbally saying it.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
What is this? Some little box he had to check? That's easy enough to believe it could be a mistake. Especially if whomever was filling out out (It may not have been Jeb himself) had just done one for the wife. That's a long way off to verbally saying it.

Would be interesting if someone else filled it out for him.

There's a term for that: voter fraud.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Would be interesting if someone else filled it out for him.

There's a term for that: voter fraud.

You can't have an aid fill out the form for the application?
It's not the actual vote.

Either way, could still be just a filled in the wrong box. How close were the boxes. Just doesn't seem like it was intentional as I don't see what he'd get out of it?

Unless I'm missing something.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score

It could even have been his wife doing it, and having a little lapse in concentration because she's so used to checking off the Hispanic box herself.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score

Either way, could still be just a filled in the wrong box. How close were the boxes. Just doesn't seem like it was intentional as I don't see what he'd get out of it?

I don't know about this particular application, but most of the time the "Are you Hispanic/Latino?" is a separate question from choosing a race like white, black, Asian, etc. because it's not really comparable.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Click the link above. The application requires a signature.
Better send me to jail, too, then. My wife almost always fills out various forms that come in the mail, and all I do is sign them. I generally don't check to see if she's filled out every little detail either, because wife. I know for a fact that's how I got registered to vote after we moved, because I wasn't even going to bother until she handed me the form for a signature. I guess that makes me a bad person, but we all already know I'm unfit to be president.

tl;dr - what Myrealana said. Tiny molehill compared to the mountains of reasons to keep that idiot out of the halls of power.

Last edited:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I know Jeb Bush would like to woo Hispanic voters to support him, but this might be taking it too far.

No comment from Poppy Bush about Jeb's new ethnic identification, but at least he didn't claim he was Black.

Your title is inaccurate in two ways, because not only is Hispanic not a racial definition, but of course, people with racial origins from all sorts of Hispanic countries can have all sorts of coloring/physical characteristics.

Also, this box was checked in 2009, and as far as these news organizations could find, it was only checked once back then (six years ago). So I really wouldn't call it "Jeb's new ethnic identification".

He's still going to appeal to some (maybe a lot of?) Hispanic voters. Maybe that's worrying you?

He called it a mistake on Twitter. I believe him.
https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/585091719550656512

Now let's get back to some real issues, like Hilary's email and the weak/dangerous Iran deal.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

On the copy of Bush's voter registration card the "hispanic"-option is right next to the "white, not hispanic"-option, so it's not hard to believe it was a mistake. (Why do they ask for race anyway? I don't think I've ever been asked for my race when registering to vote.)

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The box-checking doesn't bother me - simple mistake perhaps -

Univision, the Spanish-language network, even labeled him a "Hispanic candidate."

But I'm wondering why Univision would do this ... do they think this is a first step on the road to a truly Hispanic candidate?

(Why do they ask for race anyway? I don't think I've ever been asked for my race when registering to vote.)

And this does bother me. Yes, why ask about race/ethnicity on a voter's registration card?

Last edited:

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
On the copy of Bush's voter registration card the "hispanic"-option is right next to the "white, not hispanic"-option, so it's not hard to believe it was a mistake. (Why do they ask for race anyway? I don't think I've ever been asked for my race when registering to vote.)

Given the location of the box, his explanation of it as a mistake doesn't quite ring true to me, but since I'm not sure what he gains either, who knows. Doing his part to show a negligible uptick in the reported Hispanic enrollment in the Republican party? (Good luck w that)

Beyond that, what Myrealana said.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

You are. It's called voter fraud. You know...that thing Republicans get so hot and bothered about?

Your title is inaccurate in two ways, because not only is Hispanic not a racial definition, but of course, people with racial origins from all sorts of Hispanic countries can have all sorts of coloring/physical characteristics.

There is nothing inaccurate about the title. Jeb Bush checked off Hispanic as his racial identifier and he is not Hispanic. THAT is what is "inaccurate."

c.e.lawson said:
Also, this box was checked in 2009, and as far as these news organizations could find, it was only checked once back then (six years ago). So I really wouldn't call it "Jeb's new ethnic identification".

He's still going to appeal to some (maybe a lot of?) Hispanic voters. Maybe that's worrying you?

Child, please. If he changed his surname to Jeb Gonzalez he'd have a better chance of appealing to Hispanic voters once they get a look at his same old shit policy proposals.

c.e.lawson said:
He called it a mistake on Twitter. I believe him.
https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/585091719550656512

Now let's get back to some real issues, like Hilary's email and the weak/dangerous Iran deal.

Make you a deal, c.e.lawson: You don't tell me what the "real issues" are and I won't try to tell you because to me your real issues are real weak.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

This reminds me of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWRoEpYuHwI
This leads directly into a "what is race?" discussion, but apparently the Florida State Government, as far as voting is concerned, thinks Hispanic is a racial definition.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The entire world knows he's not Hispanic. Therefore he'd gain absolutely nothing by the alleged "fraud." Ergo, I dub it a mistake and a non-issue. Plenty of real issues to focus on, but nothing to see here.

I also yawned when I heard Obama's literary agent mistakenly stated Obama was born in Kenya in a promotional booklet.

Mistakes. They happen.

(As I believe I've mentioned, I've been listed as Hispanic despite checking the "white" box on more than one occasion. As has my 100% Polish mother.)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I thought they were actual Hispanic Republican candidates? Seems that not even Univisión thinks they have a chance.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
My wife often fills out stuff for me too. Especially if she feels it important that someone should be able to read it as I have the handwriting of a old famous TV star. (A horse is a horse, of course, of course)

But based on his tweet, he says he did it and messed up.

So unless someone can point out some real reason why someone would want to intentionally misrepresent that, I just can't get concerned over this. He ain't hiding it. It's just not a big deal.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Far as I'm concerned, it's a *shrug*. It's a small detail. I suspect there will be others.
I recall something about such "small details" - they might not have much if any effect around the start or middle of a campaign, but later, in the last few weeks before an election, they can make a "life or death" difference. One wonders what dirt politicians have on one another, to be released at a very calculated time.

So, yeah, I can just about hear that voice [no, not the hearing video, but today's news story of an imminent announcement (!!!)] yet again:

"What difference, at this point ..."