'Historic' Iran nuclear deal reached

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it worth pointing out that this particular style of bombast and dismissiveness wins those on the left no points at all with anyone who doesn't already agree with them. Indeed, it turns off a vast number of moderates, independents, and the uninformed who might otherwise be convinced.

But feel free to do it anyway.

Thanks. Big ups for allowing it. :Thumbs:

"Bombast and dismissiveness" from the Left is well and truly justified when those on the Right are yet again pounding their little tin drums to drag the nation off to another war.

I'm not running for anything, not trying to accumulate "points" and have zero-minus-zero interest in turning on or off moderates, independents and uninformed. Don't know what gets them hot and care less. I only present my opinion and facts to support it. What other grown-ups do or don't do it with it is entirely up to them.

If they're stupid enough to let a nobody like Tom Cotton lead them down the primrose path to war, I'm smart enough to get out of their way.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. Some men don't want to watch the world burn. Cotton is squarely in the former category and I'm in the latter. If I'm all alone there, that's okay too.

That should fill all daily nutritional needs of the Vitamins (B)ombast and (D)ismissiveness.
:sarcasm

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I thought it worth pointing out that this particular style of bombast and dismissiveness wins those on the left no points at all with anyone who doesn't already agree with them. Indeed, it turns off a vast number of moderates, independents, and the uninformed who might otherwise be convinced.
True, but that's not the point. For some, it's more important to vent one's rage and spleen then it is to convince others of the justness of a cause or the injustice of a situation.

In fact, secure in their own righteousness and rectitude, those who indulge in over-the-top bombast have no interest in convincing others. Nor can there be any shades of gray on any issue.

Those who disagree in any fashion on matter, no matter how minor, are seen as the enemy, devoid of any redeeming qualities and beneath contempt. They are stupid and uninformed at best.

Rush Limbaugh is the poster child for this sort of rhetoric on the right. Unfortunately, the left is not always immune to similar types of expression. It's sad because not only does it harden the positions of those on the right, it ends up making some of those on the left just not give a damn anymore.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
True, but that's not the point. For some, it's more important to vent one's rage and spleen then it is to convince others of the justness of a cause or the injustice of a situation.

In fact, secure in their own righteousness and rectitude, those who indulge in over-the-top bombast have no interest in convincing others. Nor can there be any shades of gray on any issue.

Those who disagree in any fashion on matter, no matter how minor, are seen as the enemy, devoid of any redeeming qualities and beneath contempt. They are stupid and uninformed at best.

Rush Limbaugh is the poster child for this sort of rhetoric on the right. Unfortunately, the left is not always immune to similar types of expression. It's sad because not only does it harden the positions of those on the right, it ends up making some of those on the left just not give a damn anymore.

Yes. It is a vicious and destructive cycle, and I believe it has contributed heavily to both political polarization and political apathy in the U.S.

By the way, I do not suggest for a minute that the right doesn't engage in a buttload of posturing and idiocy. And I would not vote for Tom Cotton, for the record. But it's not because he's intellectually inferior.

All I am suggesting is that the left would gain more with Average Joe, come election time, if they cut down on the sneering at their opponents' intellectual prowess. And they'd be less likely to underestimate their opposition.

I think we'd all gain if everyone cut down on the bombast and engaged in actual substantive discussion, but that might be too much to hope for.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those who casually dismiss the legitimacy of arguments they lack the facts to counter offer little to nothing of substance. They are like firecrackers: loud at the moment they go off but with no lasting effect.

They lack the courage of their convictions to engage and confront directly in debate the individual whose contrary opinion offends them so. They twist themselves into pretzels trying very hard to ignore the offender while expending a great deal of effort seeking out those offending views.

There are others debaters whom are both comfortable with the solid ground their perspective rests upon and remain flexible to hearing the other side of the argument, but only when presented with evidence of something more substantial to support the opposing stance than "so-and-so is a big shot so you should pay attention to what they say."

The American people are not afraid to fight a war, but they should never be coerced into one because a few bought-and-paid for politicians and their billionaire backers agitate for it.

Tom Cotton is merely one out of 100 United States Senators. That makes him a member of a special club, but don't confuse that with meaning he's special. He doesn't walk on water, he can't look in the future and he puts his pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us.

Maybe the say-so of a 38-year-old freshman from Arkansas is good enough for some to go to war with Iran, but it's not good enough for me. If pointing that out is "righteousness" it beats the hell out of getting into a bloody conflict for the wrong bullshit reasons.

I question the intellectual capabilities of anyone who would casually kill thousands to please a narrow and selfish constituency. In fact, I question whether someone who would casually kill thousands is a sentient human being at all or an incredible simulation of one.

Sadly, some are far more interested in "scoring points" than presenting a coherent, cogent argument.

Let them do as they please.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/09/iran-president/25504319/
"Tehran will not sign a final nuclear deal unless world powers simultaneously lift economic sanctions imposed on Iran, the nation's president said Thursday.

The United States, United Kingdom, France, Russia, China and Germany — the so-called P5 +1 group — reached an understanding with Iran last week on limits to its nuclear program in return for lifting crippling economic sanctions.

The U.S. has previously said the sanctions would be lifted in phases, but the details have not yet been negotiated."

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I think we'd all gain if everyone cut down on the bombast and engaged in actual substantive discussion, but that might be too much to hope for.
It's not the bombast and ranting that I mind. I actually find it entertaining at times.

It's the snide contempt expressed and the vilification of those whose opinions differ that turns a discussion into a toxic stew. Not something I wish to engage with anymore.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Tom Cotton did NOT say we should go to war. He is saying we should be tougher in our negotiations with the largest terrorist sponsoring state who chants "Death to America" and who is making a fraction of the concessions we are in this deal. This framework is dangerous, riddled with holes and unrealistic expectations of honesty and transparency from a country who is not trustworthy. And obviously, Iran's understanding of this framework is much different than President Obama's.

And regarding Haskins' latest post - this sanctions stuff is very concerning. It's the only damn thing that will keep Iran from cheating, as we learned with Saddam, and if these are lifted, Iran is going to ramp up whatever the hell they want to ramp up. And good luck to the good ol' USA trying to reimpose anything in the time we would need to (before Iran has nuclear capabilities). And good luck getting all of the countries which are working together now to come back and stand by us.

Maybe this is all rhetoric for Iran to hear while these negotiations are continuing, because Cotton is concerned that no American in the actual negotiations is being tough enough. (like I believe the letter was) And for that, I salute him.

Last edited:

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Cotton attempts to downplay what war would involve and overplays what we could actually get in return. He's full of hot air, amongst other things.

The main problem with Iran isn't when and whether they obtain a nuclear weapon. At some point they will, whether it's 2 yrs down the road or 10, so both the deal and opposition to it are something of a red herring. The real problem with Iran is something nobody, not Democrats and certainly not Republicans has a way to stop, and that's their sponsorship of terrorism. And the problem there is that Russia and China both realize it's an excellent way to keep us occupied, so they have no interest in helping. Which is why no matter what, if we tried to push for a 'tougher' deal (whatever that means) those sanctions are going to collapse.

There is no good solution here. And that sucks, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Tom Cotton did NOT say we should go to war. He is saying we should be tougher in our negotiations with the largest terrorist sponsoring state who chants "Death to America" and who is making a fraction of the concessions we are in this deal. This framework is dangerous, riddled with holes and unrealistic expectations of honesty and transparency from a country who is not trustworthy. And obviously, Iran's understanding of this framework is much different than President Obama's.
But what he did say is that if tougher sanctions do not have the desired effect, we then need to employ military force. And as all military experts have pointed out, it is not possible destroy Iran's nuclear capabilities simply by bombing raids. So what exactly is meant then by military options if not an actual war?

And although no one can say with certainty what to perceptions would do. But you should keep in mind that many astute individuals who have studied the middle east for years, including some military men Who are far from Liberal, believe that increasing sanctions will do nothing more than increase Iran's determination to develop a bomb and I'm sure they will pour all of their energies into that objective.

Iran may well have a segment of the population chanting "Death to America" but we have people in power chanting "let's bomb the crap out of those m***********s."

The framework of this agreement includes unprecedented access to all Iranian facilities by inspectors. And let's not forget, this is not simply a deal between the US and Iran. It involves five of our closest European allies, countries closer to and with a lot more to fear from them than we do. They seem to believe that the deal is a step forward and a hopeful sign of progress, not to be thrown away lightly. Are they too all misguided and naïve?

It all may be irrelevant, however. The opposition on the right, led by a new wave of neocons like Tom Cotton, are winning the PR war. They are pushing the views of Benjamin Netanyahu, who sounds eerily like our well beloved Dick Cheney, whose prescient predictions of the war in Iraq proved to be so accurate.

I don't think this deal will ever come to fruition. And I believe that sooner or later, probably sooner, we will be faced with an intransigent, now unshakably hostile Iran on the verge of achieving a nuclear bomb.

At which point we may well go to war with consequences at least as grave as those resulting from our adventure in Iraq.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
rabburrel - I'm going to be more optimistic that there are ways to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear bomb in 2 or 10 years. I don't want to throw in the towel so soon.

rugcat - I've got to run out and get some things done, so I will leave a quote from one of our favorite pundit's ;) recent editorial. It sums up very nicely where my opinions lie on this:

Well, say the administration apologists, what’s your alternative? Do you want war?

It’s Obama’s usual, subtle false-choice maneuver: It’s either appeasement or war.

It’s not. True, there are no good choices, but Obama’s prospective deal is the worst possible. Not only does Iran get a clear path to the bomb but it gets sanctions lifted, all pressure removed and international legitimacy.

There is a third choice. If you are not stopping Iran’s program, don’t give away the store. Keep the pressure, keep the sanctions. Indeed, increase them. After all, previous sanctions brought Iran to its knees and to the negotiating table in the first place. And that was before the collapse of oil prices, which would now vastly magnify the economic effect of heightened sanctions.

Congress is proposing precisely that. Combined with cheap oil, it could so destabilize the Iranian economy as to threaten the clerical regime. That’s the opening. Then offer to renew negotiations for sanctions relief but from a very different starting point — no enrichment. Or, if you like, with a few token centrifuges for face-saving purposes.

And no sunset.

That’s the carrot. As for the stick, make it quietly known that the United States will not stand in the way of any threatened nation that takes things into its own hands. We leave the regional threat to the regional powers, say, Israeli bombers overflying Saudi Arabia.

Consider where we began: six U.N. Security Council resolutions demanding an end to Iranian enrichment. Consider what we are now offering: an interim arrangement ending with a sunset clause that allows the mullahs a robust, industrial-strength, internationally sanctioned nuclear program.

Such a deal makes the Cuba normalization look good and the Ukrainian cease-fires positively brilliant. We are on the cusp of an epic capitulation. History will not be kind.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...86c70e-bde1-11e4-8668-4e7ba8439ca6_story.html

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The option to bomb the beejeezus out of Iran is always on the table and if Obama and Kerry took it off the table I missing hearing them say so. If anyone who cares to show me where they did, feel free to educate me.

This entire notion the president is selling us out to our enemies is spurious and slanderous, but that's where we are today, when a former vice-president can say crap like this and nothing about it is shocking.

“I vacillate between the various theories I’ve heard, but you know, if you had somebody as president who wanted to take America down, who wanted to fundamentally weaken our position in the world and reduce our capacity to influence events, turn our back on our allies and encourage our adversaries, it would look exactly like what Barack Obama’s doing.”

“This is a totally radical regime that is the premiere sponsor of state terrorism in the world, and Obama’s about to give them nuclear weapons. It’s — I can’t think of a more terrible burden to leave the next president than what Obama is creating here.”

~ Evil Dick Cheney on Hugh Hewitt's radio show
Any hope for substantive discussion is a pipe dream when a waste of skin like Cheney can't stop won't stop at merely disagreeing with the President on policy matters, but is accusing Obama of actively collaborating with Iran to give them the Bomb.

Why would I want to have a discussion with anyone who suggests such a horrible thing? As the Architect of Evil who led George W. Bush and America into the illicit War in Iraq which killed thousands of Americans and Iraqis and destabilized the entire region, if anything I would have to hold back the irresistible urge to spit in Evil Dick's beady eyes. That would make it worth the horrible beatdown his Secret Service detail would inflict.

We are being stampeded into war. Whether its Cotton or Cheney or Fox News cracking the whip doesn't matter. Like cattle, the American people are being led to the slaughter as they allow blind, unreasoning fear to supplant their critical thinking ability.

If this all sounds familiar, it's because as a politician whom I do NOT hold in high regard put it, where there is war, there's also an opportunity for profit.

There's a great YouTube of Dick Cheney in 1995 defending [President] Bush No. 1 [and the decision not to invade Baghdad in the first Gulf War], and he goes on for about five minutes. He's being interviewed, I think, by the American Enterprise Institute, and he says it would be a disaster, it would be vastly expensive, it'd be civil war, we would have no exit strategy. He goes on and on for five minutes. Dick Cheney saying it would be a bad idea. And that's why the first Bush didn't go into Baghdad. Dick Cheney then goes to work for Halliburton. Makes hundreds of millions of dollars, their CEO. Next thing you know, he's back in government and it's a good idea to go into Iraq.

The day after 9/11, [CIA chief] George Tenet is going in the [White] House and [Pentagon adviser] Richard Perle is coming out of the White House. And George Tenet should know more about intelligence than anybody in the world, and the first thing Richard Perle says to him on the way out is, "We've got it, now we can go into Iraq." And George Tenet, who supposedly knows as much intelligence as anybody in the White House says, "Well, don't we need to know that they have some connection to 9/11?" And, he [Perle] says, "It doesn't matter." It became an excuse. 9/11 became an excuse for a war they already wanted in Iraq.

It's Dick Cheney in 1995* being interviewed on why they didn't go into Baghdad the first time under the first [President] George Bush. And his arguments are exactly mirroring my dad's arguments for why we shouldn't have gone in this time. It would be chaos. There'd be a civil war. There'd be no exit strategy. And cost a blue bloody fortune in both lives and treasure. And this is Dick Cheney saying this. But, you know, a couple hundred million dollars later Dick Cheney earns from Halliburton, he comes back into government. Now Halliburton's got a billion-dollar no-bid contract in Iraq. You know, you hate to be so cynical that you think some of these corporations are able to influence policy, but I think sometimes they are. Most of the people on these [congressional] committees have a million dollars in their bank account all from different military-industrial contractors. We don't want our defense to be defined by people who make money off of the weapons.

Senator Rand Paul

One day we're told the unforgiveable lie if we invade Iraq we'll be greeted as liberators. The next we're told the unbelievable lie we can drop bombs on Iran and it'll be a cakewalk.

What lie will they tell us tomorrow and who will believe it?

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
rabburrel - I'm going to be more optimistic that there are ways to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear bomb in 2 or 10 years. I don't want to throw in the towel so soon.

There's nothing wrong with optimism, but at some point, it runs up against reality. I haven't seen anything specific as to how we're supposed to permanently derail Iran's nuclear ambitions. To me, it remains in the realm of wishful thinking.

Definitely one instance where I'd be happy to be wrong.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. It is a vicious and destructive cycle, and I believe it has contributed heavily to both political polarization and political apathy in the U.S.

By the way, I do not suggest for a minute that the right doesn't engage in a buttload of posturing and idiocy. And I would not vote for Tom Cotton, for the record. But it's not because he's intellectually inferior.

All I am suggesting is that the left would gain more with Average Joe, come election time, if they cut down on the sneering at their opponents' intellectual prowess. And they'd be less likely to underestimate their opposition.

How about: Cotton is obviously intelligent enough to know better. He went to Harvard law and undergrad. The man clearly knows how to research things and has the intellect to use the info.

That's how I feel about him, but I would have just scoffed at his view because I'm so over people having it, lol. I'm glad you pointed out that the scoffing could sound like folks don't respect his potential.

...And the problem there is that Russia and China both realize it's an excellent way to keep us occupied, so they have no interest in helping. Which is why no matter what, if we tried to push for a 'tougher' deal (whatever that means) those sanctions are going to collapse.

There is no good solution here. And that sucks, but it is what it is.

It's even worse than that. The pipeline deals are at the center of Russia's (and therefore, China's) policies regarding these wars. It's the competing pipeline plan countries that Russia is keeping occupied, in the most horrific way possible!

That's not to say they started it, of course. But if folks wonder why the extreme public backing of the sides Russia chose, with all of the international fallout that entails, then look to energy money and the Russian economy. And look to the Chinese need for energy next.

Frighteningly, parts of Eastern Europe (the new 'usual suspects') and also Greece are looking to be interested in getting on board with the new Russian plan! Not that the original Middle Eastern plan is feasible anymore with the wars there, but damn. Turkey was always going to do its own thing with it's own land, so they are no surprise, at least.

I've got links like crazy if anyone is interested in all the pipeline stuff. Maybe a separate thread would be appropriate, even. Maybe I'll see if I can pull together all the info nicely.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
But what he did say is that if tougher sanctions do not have the desired effect, we then need to employ military force. And as all military experts have pointed out, it is not possible destroy Iran's nuclear capabilities simply by bombing raids. So what exactly is meant then by military options if not an actual war?
--ME. Short of invading Iran and blowing the reactors to kingdom come--which is not going to happen for obvious reasons--the only thing one could do, if push came to shove--would be to bomb the reactor sites and at the very least set the Iranian scientists back a few years. I doubt a similar STUX-like program is going to work again. It might, but I'm sure the Iranians already have safeguards up.

And although no one can say with certainty what to perceptions would do. But you should keep in mind that many astute individuals who have studied the middle east for years, including some military men Who are far from Liberal, believe that increasing sanctions will do nothing more than increase Iran's determination to develop a bomb and I'm sure they will pour all of their energies into that objective.
--ME. Who's to say that isn't what Iran has been doing all along? Regardless of what political bent you have, I doubt that anyone, left or right wing, is willing to take Iran's word that they're just developing nuclear power for energy to power its country. It more than likely is. However, given the volatile nature of the Middle East, given the fact that Iran has continuously made warlike overtures, it's also more than likely they want to amass their own nuclear arms. If anyone believes they want nuclear power ONLY for peaceful purposes, I've got some swampwater in Utah...

Iran may well have a segment of the population chanting "Death to America" but we have people in power chanting "let's bomb the crap out of those m***********s."
--Me. True on this.

The framework of this agreement includes unprecedented access to all Iranian facilities by inspectors. And let's not forget, this is not simply a deal between the US and Iran. It involves five of our closest European allies, countries closer to and with a lot more to fear from them than we do. They seem to believe that the deal is a step forward and a hopeful sign of progress, not to be thrown away lightly. Are they too all misguided and naïve?
--ME. What do you think? In the past, Iran allowed inspectors in, but only on their timetable. They delayed, hid evidence, lied...and even if they allow inspectors in to see the obvious, ask yourself this question: What else might they be hiding?

It all may be irrelevant, however. The opposition on the right, led by a new wave of neocons like Tom Cotton, are winning the PR war. They are pushing the views of Benjamin Netanyahu, who sounds eerily like our well beloved Dick Cheney, whose prescient predictions of the war in Iraq proved to be so accurate.
--ME. You may not like Bibi--well, a lot of people don't--but at the same time, he's right to be concerned. Let's face it, armed Arabic countries who already hate Israel and have repeatedly, hyperbole or not, chanted "Death to Israel" ad infinitum, possessing atomic weapons is a nightmare come true. Or, if you believe in Satan, a devil's wet dream. Take your pick.

I don't think this deal will ever come to fruition. And I believe that sooner or later, probably sooner, we will be faced with an intransigent, now unshakably hostile Iran on the verge of achieving a nuclear bomb.

At which point we may well go to war with consequences at least as grave as those resulting from our adventure in Iraq.
---

See above, please. And I'd have to agree with the last two paragraphs in your post although I'd rather not see it reach that point. While you can call me a neo-con (I've been called far worse, so g'hed) I don't think it's unfair for Bibi to be alarmed. Yes, he's a right-wing hawk. No doubt. But while he plays to the crowd, Iran possessing nuclear weapons is a legit concern to everyone in the region. Not just Israel.

And before anyone says "Israel already has atomic weapons" I'm going to agree. I'm sure they have a shitload of them. But at the same time, they don't go around threatening to atomize other countries and wipe them off the face of the Earth. They don't engage in hyperbole. They're hardly innocent in this. But you don't have to fear a nuclear Israel. You do have to fear a nuclear Iran. JMO...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
---

See above, please. And I'd have to agree with the last two paragraphs in your post although I'd rather not see it reach that point. While you can call me a neo-con (I've been called far worse, so g'hed) I don't think it's unfair for Bibi to be alarmed. Yes, he's a right-wing hawk. No doubt. But while he plays to the crowd, Iran possessing nuclear weapons is a legit concern to everyone in the region. Not just Israel.

And before anyone says "Israel already has atomic weapons" I'm going to agree. I'm sure they have a shitload of them. But at the same time, they don't go around threatening to atomize other countries and wipe them off the face of the Earth. They don't engage in hyperbole. They're hardly innocent in this. But you don't have to fear a nuclear Israel. You do have to fear a nuclear Iran. JMO...

Never heard of the Samson Option?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_Option

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
---

If you haven't figured it out by now, then I'm not going to do your homework for you. I mean, really. Think about destabilization and take it from there.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I believe or trust the Iranians, but, if true, this should add some fuel to the fire:

"President Obama has long known that the real decision maker in Iran is Ayatollah Khamenei, the so-called supreme leader. While other Iranian officials have negotiated with Western powers over the mullahs’ nuclear program, Khamenei’s opinion is the only one that really counts. It is for this reason that Obama began writing directly to Khamenei early in his presidency.
ayatollah_2146641b.jpg

Earlier today, Khamenei broke his silence on the supposed “framework” the Obama administration has been trumpeting as the basis for a nuclear accord. Khamenei’s speech pulled the rug out from underneath the administration.
Khamenei accused the Obama administration of “lying” about the proposed terms, being “deceptive,” and having “devilish” intentions, according to multiple published accounts of his speech, as well as posts on his official Twitter feed."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...ve-and-having-devilish-intentions_914336.html

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
---

If you haven't figured it out by now, then I'm not going to do your homework for you. I mean, really. Think about destabilization and take it from there.

No need for condescension. Destabilization as a likely outcome is something that should be argued for, imo, not just assumed. I'm pretty sympathetic to the Waltzian view, personally, the idea that a nuclear Iran would shift the balance of power in such a way as to make an actual hot war between Iran and other states (like Israel) less likely, rather than more likely.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
No need for condescension. Destabilization as a likely outcome is something that should be argued for, imo, not just assumed. I'm pretty sympathetic to the Waltzian view, personally, the idea that a nuclear Iran would shift the balance of power in such a way as to make an actual hot war between Iran and other states (like Israel) less likely, rather than more likely.

I think the article didn't consider Saudi Arabia enough, though. They really might get the bomb, too, if Iran does, I think. They've certainly said so. Not that that changes much from what the article asserts, except that there would be an arms race in the region, imho.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I think the article didn't consider Saudi Arabia enough, though. They really might get the bomb, too, if Iran does, I think. They've certainly said so. Not that that changes much from what the article asserts, except that there would be an arms race in the region, imho.

Well, certainly the Saudis don't have the ability right now to develop their own weapons, but they may have a nuclear sharing agreement with Pakistan that would allow them to get weapons anyway. It's unclear, I think, whether that's really the case though.

But the Saudi angle is probably overhyped, imo. It's hard to argue that the "real" problem with a nuclear Iran is the Saudis, because Saudi Arabia is much less of a threat to western interests than Iran is. So if Waltz is correct that a nuclear Iran is probably not as big of a problem as some seem to think it is, then a nuclear Saudi Arabia should, logically, be even less of a problem.

That said, the Saudi side of things is somewhat complicated, I have to admit. I don't think they have any physical reason to fear a nuclear Iran, because Iran has pretty much no reason to go to war with them. When they make claims about what they plan to do in response to a nuclear Iran, I see it as them using leverage to try to keep sanctions in place. They are concerned about Iran's increasing influence in the region (Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq, for example). So the sanctions are great from a Saudi perspective because they act as a check on Iranian influence. I suspect that's what's driving the Saudi criticism of the nuclear deal, and the threats from the Saudis of going nuclear themselves are probably an extension of that. In other words, it's part of a strategy to do whatever they can do to sink a deal that hurts their interests.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
---

By asking "Why?" in your prior post, you knew damn well what the answer would be. And there was no condescension intended. My answer was what it was.

As for the Waltzian view, while you may be sympathetic toward it, I wonder how sympathetic a nuclear-armed Iran would be. Not to mention the Saudis and other Arab countries becoming even leerier of a hostile regime holding a WMD (sorry, had to say it) and having an itchy trigger finger.

I might point out that Israel, despite more than having (probably) a number of nuclear weapons, has never threatened any other country with the prospect of using them. They've simply said "We might have them" and left other countries to worry about whether they're telling the truth or not. While that ain't exactly honest (obviously) it's a whole lot better than a regime like Iran's threatening to extend its hold over the Middle East.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I think I now have a crush on J.S.F. for his last few posts here. :kiss:

I agree with everything he said.

As far as what Michael said about
I don't think they have any physical reason to fear a nuclear Iran, because Iran has pretty much no reason to go to war with them.

Things have been tense between those two countries for years, for multiple reasons including sectarian, and it's really heating up right now in Yemen.

I thought the following piece explained things in simple enough terms for my brain to digest. :)

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...ia-iran-great-game-ye-201492984846324440.html

Reminiscent of the "Great Game" played out in Afghanistan between Great Britain and Russia more than a hundred years ago, Saudi Arabia and Iran are engaged in their own decades-long strategic rivalry for power and influence in the Middle East, stretching from the Mediterranean Sea to the Gulf and Arabian Sea. It is built mostly along sectarian and ideological lines - Saudi Arabia as the leader of the Sunni Muslim world, and Iran as the leader of the Shia Muslim world.

While recent high-level discussions between the Saudi and Iranian foreign ministers would suggest a possible thawing in their cold relations, the fact of the matter is, too much bad blood exists between them for any meaningful, long-term rapprochement, at least in the near-term. The more likely state of affairs is that they are simply reassessing their strategies, taking into account all the events in the region, and preparing their next moves on the Middle East chessboard.

In playing their Great Game, Saudi Arabia and Iran have engaged in a series of proxy wars to undermine each other, some hot and some cold, throughout the Middle East. In Lebanon, it's the Iran-backed Hezbollah. In Syria, it's the longtime Iran-backed Assad regime. In Iraq, it's an Iran-backed Shia government which was, prior to the US invasion in 2003, solidly in the Sunni camp.

In Bahrain and the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, Iran works behind the scenes to undermine those governments through the Shia communities, a threat Saudi Arabia takes so seriously that they sent military forces into Bahrain in 2011 to help quell the Shia uprising there. And then there is Yemen. While it is debatable as to how involved they were in supporting the Houthi uprising, the sudden turn of events on the ground there does play favourably into Iran’s hand.

So, various "proxy wars" for years. Tensions increasing. Region destabilizing. I don't think anyone can safely say this can't escalate.