Indiana, the new lone state.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or the part where he fed the 5000 with pizza, rather than fish and bread.
It was actually 5,000 single-serve calzones, with anchovies, hold the sauce, hold the cheese.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to locate the Bible verse where Jesus says, "If they don't follow the rules, don't feed them/clothe them/visit them/do unto them as you would have them do unto you." I'm sure I just missed it in my first 247 read-throughs.

I know you are being facetious, but I think this is a great point. Do any of these religions actually have a rule against serving gay people? Unless they do, it's just an excuse to descriminate.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
It's actually the opposite. Matthew 5:41 "If anyone forces you to walk with them one mile, walk with them two". There was a Roman law at the time that said anyone could be forced to drop what they were doing and carry a Roman soldier's belongings up to a mile. Jesus's response was a Christian, so forced, should carry the belongings for two miles.

I like this post on the subject

Selah March

Registered
Reaction score
I know you are being facetious, but I think this is a great point. Do any of these religions actually have a rule against serving gay people? Unless they do, it's just an excuse to descriminate.

I can't speak to other religions, but Christ mentions homosexuality exactly 0 times. He speaks against divorce 3 or 4 times, though, so I'm left wondering if all these good Christian florists and bakers who refuse to serve homosexuals are also refusing service to folks who are remarrying after divorce. If not, Christ has a number of things to say about hypocrites--none of them flattering.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score

I've always wondered this.

If the Christians refuse to serve GLBT folks because it's against their religion, do they also refuse to serve those who steal, curse their parents, their neighbor who's having an affair, lie, ...

I've never heard of any business turning away those who have violated the Ten Commandments.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how real it was, but there was a picture on Facebook of a sign that read, basically, "If this wedding cake is for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc., wedding, we don't want your business."

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking because there were no identifying marks. It was just a picture of a sign printed out from Word and taped to a glass door with no visible business name.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak to other religions, but Christ mentions homosexuality exactly 0 times.
It's my understanding the bible doesn't mention homosexuality (as in same-sex attraction) anywhere. The admonishments in the Old Testament/Leviticus have only to do with actions.

People often confuse what people do with what people are, and this seems especially true with sexuality. A common bias (perhaps less now, but certainly decades ago) is that if you "lie down" with the opposite sex thousands of times but with the same sex only once, you're seen as homosexual.
He speaks against divorce 3 or 4 times, though, so I'm left wondering if all these good Christian florists and bakers who refuse to serve homosexuals are also refusing service to folks who are remarrying after divorce. If not, Christ has a number of things to say about hypocrites--none of them flattering.
Well, most modern Christians haven't been reminded throughout their lives how sinful divorce is (well, maybe some Catholics), nor how objectionable it is (if not actually sinful as well) to associate with divorced people. There's surely lots of things we would be surprised to learn were considered sinful just a few generations ago.

It clearly has a lot more to do with modern sermons and what parts of the Bible modern preachers emphasize than a fully encompassing list of things the Bible dictates.

There was a serious religious argument about what the Wright Brothers were doing:
Critics warned the Wrights’ that “if God wanted man to fly he would have given them wings.”
http://wrightstories.com/articles/famous-aviators/
The quote was apparently a common argument against developing and building airplanes at the time. The actual source (both biblical and the original person who made the claim) appears to have been lost to obscurity, but it's clear that at the time people believed it as much as they believed any Bible verse. It had the "ring of truth" at the time, just as it being sinful to service gay weddings currently has the "ring of truth" to modern Christians.

Last edited:

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
It's actually the opposite. Matthew 5:41 "If anyone forces you to walk with them one mile, walk with them two". There was a Roman law at the time that said anyone could be forced to drop what they were doing and carry a Roman soldier's belongings up to a mile. Jesus's response was a Christian, so forced, should carry the belongings for two miles.

Excellent point. Those of us who call ourselves Christian, and I count myself one, too often forget the seemingly simple, straight-forward, sometimes difficult, things this man Jesus said we ought to do. He didn't say we had to enjoy or like or find personally compatible all these things.
The post you referenced is also excellent.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Excellent point. Those of us who call ourselves Christian, and I count myself one, too often forget the seemingly simple, straight-forward, sometimes difficult, things this man Jesus said we ought to do. He didn't say we had to enjoy or like or find personally compatible all these things.
The post you referenced is also excellent.
It was excellent.

Last edited: