Sci-Fi/Fantasy author seeking agent, anxious as hell

CM Weller

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I mostly write SciFi, but I'm not entirely adverse to the spot of fantasy now and then. I have attempted self-publication through Smashwords (check out my stuff) and am beginning to suspect that the indie route may not be for me.

I want to get out there.

I'm currently on a sabbatical from writing for health reasons (I did a number on my wrists) but I did do a daily flash fiction on my blog, using prompts from my readers.

Before the sabbatical, I was working on an Urban Fantasy entitled Kung Fu Zombies, which I was planning on promoting for agents/publishers. If anything of mine was going to take off, that title would.

Am I untouchable now?

Would an agent want me?

What about the self-published stuff with no representation but my own?

Should I just hide until I'm able to write again?

Kronisk

Banned
Reaction score
Sydney. Please do not call me Australian. My disli
CM Weller,

I am in a semi-similar position to you. I spend the days seriously contemplating self-immolation as protest or similar. I have also attempted self-publication and whilst I am still open to it, I think the indie route might not be for me either.

I also want to get out there. I want to have a certain message heard.

I am not very good at critically reading, but I can offer to look at your manuscript and give my opinion as to whether it might be worth promoting or doing further work on.

As to your specific questions, I am only new here and I am sure longer-time players can offer better answers. But with regard to publishing, I get the feeling there are only a few mistakes that cannot be recovered from. You have not mentioned making any of them.

Zombie_Rose

Procrastinating Forever
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! I don't know very much about self publishing, as I plan to try the traditional route myself, but in my opinion, I'd say try to submit to publishers big or small first. If after a while you think it's not going anywhere, then do self publishing, but that's just my feelings on it. :) Someone else here will probably have something more useful to say. I hope you enjoy it here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
All right! Good to see another SFF wordsmith around here, looking forward to seeing your stuff on the forums! (Also, from what I've read, you're not untouchable. The MS may be, as has been said, so maybe consider putting something new out there.)

CM Weller

Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP has not been seen by anyone yet, and I'm still writing it. Or I was until the wrists happened.

I really need an agent. I couldn't find any procedure in the noob guide for asking anyone. Do I post it like a personal? "SFF author seeks Queensland Lit Agent, free samples of writing available at " And either way, where do I leave it?

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi CM, it's Claire here, you posted on vision writers and I directed you to Absolute Write - I hope it pays off ;-) This is a very informative forum.

Try and complete your book. Probably the two Australian agents that will take what you write are Alex Adsett and Book Haven agency. But only with a FINISHED book. Also head to Query Letter Hell and check out querying an agent for representation.

In relation to trying for an agent *without* a completed book to sell....

Try this: http://queryshark.blogspot.com.au/2009/09/134.html

Google "How to write an agent query letter" and visit querytracker.com. Lots of good info.

Since you're already in QLD, I reccommend you get to this year's Genrecon. A lot of lit agents are aquired through networking rather than direct querying. They'll all be there. www.genrecon.com.au/

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what you've already been told: the book you have already self-published is probably done, but the next book you write won't be affected at all.

To find an agent: first, finish the book, then revise it as effectively as you can. Then write a query for it, find a list of appropriate agents, and send the query off in batches of five or ten. You don't have to query only agents in Australia (I think that's where you are): you can query US agents instead, and that could be a wise decision if you think your main market will be the US, as you pay a smaller commission to your agent on home sales.

You can post your query in our Share Your Work room, but you'll need fifty or more posts before you can do that.

Since you're already in QLD, I reccommend you get to this year's Genrecon. A lot of lit agents are aquired through networking rather than direct querying. They'll all be there. www.genrecon.com.au/

Most agents are found by querying, not by networking. Attending conventions is good, but it is not going to get you an agent. All it will do is get you an invitation to query--and you don't need an invitation, so it doesn't put you ahead of the game at all.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Most agents are found by querying, not by networking. Attending conventions is good, but it is not going to get you an agent. All it will do is get you an invitation to query--and you don't need an invitation, so it doesn't put you ahead of the game at all.

Whoops, better clarify, CM wanted to first look at getting an agent from Queensland, Australia where she lives, and Alex - who is actively acquiring SF/F for her QLD-based agency - will most probably be there. She only takes queries through pitches and recommendations, and may be the rare example of "talking to her and holding a place for future query".

Genrecon isn't really a convention, it's more of a pro-writer symposium with added extras.

The Aussie genre publishing scene is very tiny, so these things are more likely, I guess. (Can I say I've noticed a bit of a cultural difference too? I don't know, it's one of those oddly indescribable qualities of Australian fiction that doesn't translate to OS sales.)

Apart from that the genre-agent scene is very thin on the ground here. Personally I'd say to go overseas to look for rep, but that's up to a writer I suppose :-/

Last edited:

TheEchelon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the community CM Weller!

I am still learning the ropes of the indie route and whether or not to pursue legitimate queries with agencies. I have a website ready to launch but I don't know how I want to present me work. Just give it free and see what people think and then go from there? I don't know yet.

You have certainly come to one of the greatest resources on the web for publishing, critiquing, opinions, ideas, etc. There's a lot of help and knowledge in this community and I am positive you will find the help you need.