San Diego Research

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I'm working on the sequel to The Sad Girl, and need a little more information about San Diego. My original SD contact is unavailable at the moment, so I'm here to see what y'all can do for me.

Danny has a store near the 6000-6500 block of Federal Blvd. It's an online auction house similar to PropertyRoom.com, where he sells recovered property. Business is growing, his old lease is coming up, and he needs more room to store the stuff he's selling. He's got some walk-in traffic now and wants to be able to grow that, so it can't be just a warehouse. There's some scenes that take place while he's looking at one of the places, so I need to nail a location fairly closely. I don't need an exact address, but I need a couple of street names.

I'm picturing something in an area that might have food carts/trucks nearby, but not necessarily on a main drag, maybe a block or so off. Danny lives in Chula Vista now, but I'm not sure that affects much of anything. I feel like the place would be south of I-8, but that's not set in stone either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: This is in mid-to-late 2011, for what that matters.

Last edited:

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
What kind of neighborhood? Established, up-and-coming, yuppie, urban? If he is in Chula Vista now, would he want to stay that far south or does he mind commuting? Does he want to stay in a majority-Hispanic neighborhood?

My first inclination is to say somewhere off El Cajon Blvd, but San Diego is a big place. :)

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I'm picturing an older neighborhood, mostly older retail or light industrial, that's starting to rebuild/transition into retail and multi-family stuff. Not necessarily knocking down all the old buildings, but repurposing them, even with heavy renovation.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
My wife is from El Cajon, and I spent 8 years on active duty in San Diego, so I've got some familiarity with the area.

Moving up from Federal Ave. I'd start looking into Lemon Grove (off of Lemon Grove Ave and Broadway -- look about three blocks around the intersection) or up into La Mesa on University Ave. South of El Cajon Blvd.