Noisetrade?

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Has anybody used Noisetrade as a way to reach readers? If so, did it work for you? I discovered it for music and found a lot of interesting stuff there.

The way it works (as I understand it) is that folks can download a book/story for free (although they can pay, if they want), in return for providing the author with a valid email. The idea is you get a mailing list of folks to reach for future books.

Thanks for any feedback,

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Anybody Tried Noisetrade?

I asked this question over on the general promo forum, but didn't get any responses. Figured I might try it again here.

Has anybody here used Noisetrade as a way to build a reader base?

The way it works (as I understand it from a music consumer): writer puts up an ebook or audiobook (short story, collection, novel or excerpt - whatever). The download is essentially free - it's "pay what you want" - except that the downloader has to provide a valid email address. The idea being that readers discover a new author and the writer builds a mailing list for reaching readers with new projects in the future.

As I said, I've done this with music, and it's kind of cool to get an email months after I downloaded an album from a group about a new project. I have purchased new stuff from bands I've discovered there.

But I can't really find any discussion online about whether writers are having any success with it. I've got a short story in need of a home that I think might work for this. Anybody have any experience?

Thanks,

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Merging threads.

How many books have you read/paid for through this service? Folks you know? Would you have heard of their book service if you had not been using the music side?

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
I've not heard of Noisetrade (fun name, though), but I've got a couple of friends who give away stories in exchange for email addresses. I don't like "free", as a writer or a reader. My friends and I all use Mailchimp, and my buddies tell me the "open" rate on their mailing list send outs is miserable. Each has a mailing list in the low four digits. My mailing list is in the two digits -- and I did a lousy job, people have to jump through hoops to get on it -- but my open rate is nearly 100%.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love Noisetrade as a consumer; I've never used it as a writer. The music is top notch, but I've found the books to be less than stellar. They tend more toward the religious, inspirational and cute memoirs as well as rather run-the-mill DIY writing guides. They have a fair share of graphic novels, again to the inspirational side. Strangely, some of it is "edgy inspirational," with lots more sex and four letter words than I expected. Therefore, if your book doesn't fit you might not be hitting your target audience.

Sign up for a minth or so and see what they tend to list and if your stuff fits.