Microaggressions and What Can Be Done About Them (At Ithaca College)

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
http://reason.com/blog/2015/03/25/anonymous-online-geo-system-to

I realize that simply by saying that you've probably heard of microaggressions, I'm likely committing one.

For the uninitiated, microaggressions are "are statements by a person from a privileged group that belittles or isolates a member of an unprivileged group, as it relates to race, class, gender, sexual orientation, ability and more." The really innovative thing about microaggressions is that they are often meant in a spirit of inclusion by the speaker. For instance, depending on who's speaking and who's listening, complimeting someone on their hair, clothing, or whatever might count as a covert way of putting him in his place. "That's a really fancy jacket" may really be code for WTF are you doing in clothes that are above your station?

But I'll risk microaggressing you to note that the student government at Ithaca College in upstate New York has just passed a mind-blowing bill that will allow students to anonymously report offensive statements such as "Where are you really from?" and "You don't look disabled." The system will include "demographics" about the aggressor and the aggressee and tag location info too, according to one of the sponsors of the bill.

Is this kind of system useful in fighting microaggressions? Would it be better for research purposes? Will it have a "chilling effect on free speech"?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The complaints desk will be the greatest make-work project imagined by mankind.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I will now take Ithaca College off my daughter's prospective college list. :)

I'm a third of the way through the video interview in the article you linked, and it's FASCINATING.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Yeah, this isn't going to be a good thing.

That's a nice coat could never just mean, that's a nice coat.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
And when the ridiculous complaints pile up, will the microaggression police commit the heinous microaggression of choosing which microaggression to investigate and prosecute, thereby belittling, disempowering and disrespecting the victims of the microaggressions they aren't able to investigate, chastise and/or prosecute?

Will there be an internal review department for the antimicroaggression department?

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
And when the ridiculous complaints pile up, will the microaggression police commit the heinous microaggression of choosing which microaggression to investigate and prosecute, thereby belittling, disempowering and disrespecting the victims of the microaggressions they aren't able to investigate, chastise and/or prosecute?

Will there be an internal review department for the antimicroaggression department?

hahahaha, yes to all of the above!

Actually, I think this microaggression policy is a macroaggression against people with foot in mouth disease. But at least it will justify funding for new departments and employees and therefore more hikes in tuition.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
When I went away to college in the early '70s, it was mind-expanding to escape the intolerance and right-thinking of a religious upbringing, where every statement was judged based on its appropriateness within the framework of acceptability as defined by the status quo.

I guess that's the in thing these days, though.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
When I went away to college in the early '70s, it was mind-expanding to escape the intolerance and right-thinking of a religious upbringing, where every statement was judged based on its appropriateness within the framework of acceptability as defined by the status quo.

I guess that's the in thing these days, though.

Don, I think you're being micro-aggressive. I may have to report you.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Yeah, this isn't going to be a good thing.

That's a nice coat could never just mean, that's a nice coat.

In my experience with actual micro-aggressions, there's a great deal more clarity in what is politeness, what ignorance, and what is malicious. The ignorance is usually where the debate is. I agree with the idea that it can be harmful and demonstrate privilege. Whether that should result in punishment, certainly not for a couple offenses. It might be useful for demonstrating a pattern in more serious cases of discrimination.

It's much easier to come up with examples people will accept involving sexism, I think. But they certainly exist for disability or race, or any of the other categories.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
"Microaggressions" is what sane people call "being rude or clueless."

This reporting scheme is just another project to create jobs for the professionally aggrieved class.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
"Microaggressions" is what sane people call "being rude or clueless."

This reporting scheme is just another project to create jobs for the professionally aggrieved class.

No, it's a word created to try to explain how a build-up of small or otherwise ignorable acts of racism or privilege could lead to an environment detrimental to the receiving party.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea, but I think the offenders should be kept anonymous.

Having all of that data and those narratives could be really interesting.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I like the idea, but I think the offenders should be kept anonymous.

Having all of that data and those narratives could be really interesting.

This is basically how I feel. It could be cool as a data collector, or a sort of anonymous venting thing, but I don't think we should be going after the students being reported, at least without a lot of further investigation.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
What do they plan on doing with these reported statements? If someone receive disciplinary action, then they should have a right to face their accusers?

This is the frackin' age of digital information. Create a blog where students can submit their instances of microaggressions then let the rest of the university shame the anonymous assailants reddit style.

(That was tongue-in-cheek, btw)

Though I will say this, being the one to go through the reports might be interesting, especially since I imagine this will be like flashing a giant neon sign that says, "Troll us here."

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What do they plan on doing with these reported statements? If someone receive disciplinary action, then they should have a right to face their accusers?

This is the frackin' age of digital information. Create a blog where students can submit their instances of microaggressions then let the rest of the university shame the anonymous assailants reddit style.

Based on the reactions here and elsewhere, I think it's clear that the victims are far more likely to be shamed than the assailants.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I would be curious of how many "microaggressions" towards a group would be reported by people not of the group that the alleged slight was towards.

I'd think that claims of "mansplaining" would inevitably be made towards male professors with any women in the class, and I'm not entirely sure it would just be trolling.

Also, from the article:

The system would allow individuals reporting microaggressions to remain anonymous. However, junior Kyle James, vice president of communications and co-sponsor of the bill, said those reporting a microaggression would likely have to reveal their identity if they wanted to pursue any legal action.

You'd think that, if "legal action" were to occur, it might be a little above "microaggression"...

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Creating more jobs for the professionally outraged.

But seriously, no big deal. It doesn't sound like anyone will be punished for their statements. They will just track them so they can better understand the scope of the issue.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
No, it's a word created to try to explain how a build-up of small or otherwise ignorable acts of racism or privilege could lead to an environment detrimental to the receiving party.

Well, that's the key word there.

If you want to educate people that asking "Where are you from?" or "You don't sound _____" or "You look really nice today" is, depending on context, rude and offensive, well and good.

But this isn't about that. It's about establishing such comments as grounds for claiming someone is being materially harmed - presumably either to take action against the offenders, or to impose a stricter code of conduct that will prevent such "microaggressions."

Of course unless such a code of conduct imposes consequences, it's meaningless. So, yes, it is about creating jobs and investing power.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Of course unless such a code of conduct imposes consequences, it's meaningless.

I disagree. It creates awareness — tangible awareness, because the data is right there. Maybe some people will realize what they're doing and change their behavior because they now know people are hurt and report such things. Of course, many people won't bother to change without real consequences, but I think some would, and that makes it absolutely not meaningless.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I disagree. It creates awareness — tangible awareness, because the data is right there. Maybe some people will realize what they're doing and change their behavior because they now know people are hurt and report such things. Of course, many people won't bother to change without real consequences, but I think some would, and that makes it absolutely not meaningless.

A system under which people can report statements that hurt and offend them, and which collects data on the offenders, but which has no power to take any action other than say "Please don't do that"?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Information IS power. However, if someone collects that information? That someone (or someone else) IS going to use it. That needs further consideration, imo

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
A system under which people can report statements that hurt and offend them, and which collects data on the offenders, but which has no power to take any action other than say "Please don't do that"?

Not meaningless.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Not meaningless.

I can't see how it wouldn't be unless it does something with those names it collects.

Otherwise, how is it different from any other education and outreach program?