Ground war on the Arabian Peninsula? (Saudi Arabia goes after Houthis in Yemen)

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/27/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-houthis-yemen.html?_r=0

Yemen's been in chaos (okay, worse chaos than usual) since January, when President Rabbu Mansour Hadi was forced to resign. Iranian-backed Houthis chased him and his supports to the port of Aden, and as of yesterday, there's all sorts of stuff going on:

A day after Saudi Arabia and a coalition of nine other states began hammering the Houthis with airstrikes and blockading the Yemeni coast, President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi of Egypt said in a statement that the country’s navy and air force had joined the campaign and that its army was ready to send ground troops “if necessary.”

The Associated Press, citing unnamed military officials, reported that plans for an Egyptian invasion were already underway, and many analysts had already concluded that airstrikes alone had little chance of pushing back the Houthis.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Iran, Saudi Arabia’s regional rival and the Houthis’ main ally, denounced the assault as an American-backed attempt “to foment civil war in Yemen or disintegrate the country.” Houthi-controlled television channels broadcast footage of dead bodies and wounded civilians, blaming “American-backed aggression.”

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this is weird. In the past 4 years I've wondered why the US kept having to pay for the gas on these jaunts. I'm never happy to see war & destruction and it's especially disturbing given the scale of unrest and polarized, entrenched beliefs vs/aligned with rapidly evolving technical assets skillfully utilized here & there so:what's so bad in Yemen that the Saudis felt moved to active involvement when they've (apparently) neglected every other area in the past 4 years?

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
A Shi'a-controlled state will be next to its borders is what seems to be the problem.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
A Shi'a-controlled state will be next to its borders is what seems to be the problem.

I've a concern that there's a "reformation" at hand, and it all seems pointlessly, lethally and ethically absurd.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Iran controls the strings of the recent coup, so it's not even just Shi'a, it's basically Iran on the border.

Given the numbers of folks joining Daesh there, I'm glad there will be a strong Sunni showing that doesn't involve them (or Al Qaeda, who are also big there).

There is a reformation of sorts, imho, but that also has to do with Yemen's earlier decision to not allow radical groups, if that makes sense. Kind of like with the Soviets, I mean, although in Yemen it included a weak government that didn't command the respect of the people. The idea that a strong religious government might work is more appealing in a situation like that.

Then you have the normal sectarian strife that comes with the opposite side winning a coup, so that makes folks more 'religious' too since the cultures split along religious lines.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Russia urges UN to call for a 'humanitarian pause' in Yemen

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ae261f9a3a9b4f08b9e87e7111942421/russia-urges-un-call-humanitarian-pause-yemen

Because Russia is just so big on humanitarian issues around the world?

Or it might be that Russia's draft doesn't include the Houthis taking a pause, just the Saudi/Sunni side.So that's not just public backing for Assad's Shiite regime in Syria, but a very telling announcement of Russia's support for Iran in its proxy wars in other parts of the region. That's pretty damned scary.And the war in Yemen is bloody and horrible already. Folks sometimes make out like Western interventions are so much bloodier and cruel than they would be if the folks who lived there ran them themselves, but that's probably just wishful thinking, imho.

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
Russia did play a large part to stop the blood shed in Ukraine through the Minsk agreement.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Russia did play a large part to stop the blood shed in Ukraine through the Minsk agreement.

They did a whole lot to start the bloodshed in the Ukraine, so the ball was always more in their court there!

Even if you (general you) like Russia, it's disturbing to see a new, hot, Cold War that now involves a Middle East that is far different than it was during the first one. I'm not saying that the West and Russia are the ones implementing the lines in the ME, but the explicit divide in their backing makes the situation much more disturbing (arms, money, etc).

It was disturbing enough seeing the Saudi-Iran situation heat up so much in so many regions.

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
They did a whole lot to start the bloodshed in the Ukraine, so the ball was always more in their court there!
Start? There's always two sides to every story. France and Germany has their side also.

Even if you (general you) like Russia, it's disturbing to see a new, hot, Cold War that now involves a Middle East that is far different than it was during the first one. I'm not saying that the West and Russia are the ones implementing the lines in the ME, but the explicit divide in their backing makes the situation much more disturbing (arms, money, etc).

It was disturbing enough seeing the Saudi-Iran situation heat up so much in so many regions.

Not a matter of who one "likes", I think if we were to follow the money, we would find the bad guy.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Not a matter of who one "likes", I think if we were to follow the money, we would find the bad guy.

There's not 'the bad guy' is my point in saying that about 'liking' Russia (the government, obviously). I'm talking about alliance structures in shifting global power architecture. The rest of what I'd say here is just repeating what I posted earlier.