• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Help with proper structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. Could you please help me figure out how to structure these sentences? It looks wrong! Thanks.

"Pray to me," he said, pointing down. "Just the captain," he added, for the soldiers were also sinking to their knees.

Is it fine like that, or should the second dialogue string start a new line:

"Pray to me," he said, pointing down.
"Just the captain," he added, for the soldiers were also sinking to their knees.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
The first looks better to me, since it's the same person speaking both times. Maybe try,

"Pray to me," he said, pointing down. He added, "Just the captain," for the soldiers were also sinking to their knees.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
For clarity, keep characters to their own paragraphs. Like this.
He pointed down. "Pray to me."

The soldiers sank to their knees as well.

"No, not you guys, just the captain."

Notice how this reduces or eliminates the need for dialogue tags.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Excessive dialogue tags are another type of bug I'm constantly having to squash!

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
I'm not sure if it's an "official" rule, but I've always kept one person's dialogue within the same paragraph for clarity's sake. So I would go with the former. And BMustang's example works even better for clarity!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with Brutal Mustang's suggestion. It eliminates an unnecessary dialogue tag and gets the actions in the proper order.

Personally, I don't like cluttering up dialogue with too much narration. A little bit helps set the scene, but when one paragraph has five different sections of dialogue with actions between them, it drives me insane.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
"Pray to me," he said, pointing down, then added, "Just the captain," for the soldiers were also sinking to their knees.

or

"Pray to me," he said, pointing down. When the common soldiers sank to their knees, he added, "Just the captain."

But I like Brutal Mustang's approach too. There are multiple ways to handle it, but generally you wouldn't change paragraphs if it were still the same speaker, unless it represented a major change of direction/subject.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. Could you please help me figure out how to structure these sentences? It looks wrong! Thanks.

"Pray to me," he said, pointing down. "Just the captain," he added, for the soldiers were also sinking to their knees.

Is it fine like that

Yes. No need to make it two sentences.

ETA: Personally, I prefer the above construction rather than adding extra lines of dialogue. Yours is quicker and more concise.

Last edited:

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Yes, first one looks better. No need to start from a new line.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Or you could try this (if you really want to keep the dialogue together):

"Pray to me," he said, pointing down, and the soldiers all sank to their knees. "No. Just the captain."

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with the ones saying keep it like your first example. I just don't see the need to break that up into two or three different paragraphs.

I like how rwm said it, that way you can take out, he added. Since you already said, he said.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
You could even eliminate the tags altogether if you feel like it.

"Pray to me." He pointed down, and the soldiers all sank to their knees. "No. Just the captain."

Status
Not open for further replies.