Islamic Statebuilding

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
The idea of a caliphate is attracting a lot of folks who don't even go for the apocalyptic ideas tied to it. They see it as another reign of united Muslim-Arab power internationally, and they like the idea that it takes over where corrupt and cruel dictators rule, in some cases in places where there is no Sharia law for government. Some do feel like Sharia as a way to govern is the right thing to try.

Of course, they don't believe the reports of the atrocities, and their idea of Sharia is much different than Daesh's idea of it!

But note the pan-Arabism (Muslim Arabism, to be sure) of the idea of one great state. I do think that part is as key as the religious side of all this for the folks hearing about this 'great' land. What will happen after they've all moved there and lived under it will be quite different than something like the Ottoman Empire, but apparently that's not the feeling among the masses right now :(

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
In the West, ISIS’ propaganda seems focused on war and intimidation. Their primary messages are simply videos of brutality: firing squads, beheadings, even the burning alive of a captured Jordanian pilot. But a Vocativ analysis of the group’s online propaganda overall shows that, in the areas it already controls or is fighting to take over, almost half of what it broadcasts has a positive theme to it. Come to the Islamic State, is the message. There is fun here, and food, and services.

don't forget nutella and cuddly kittens.

This could help explain why they seem to be gaining power so quickly, and meeting with less resistance than perhaps one might think. Sure, if you think you and your family are going to be beheaded, you're going to fight. But if you think you're going to get a fun amusement park, nutella, and a better life than you had...

It makes me think of the Nazi propaganda posters depicting "ideal Aryan" family life. (Oh, yes, I did Godwin the thread in the third post. I have no problems comparing ISIS with Nazis.)

Last edited: