Oatmeal (Happy St. Patrick's Day)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
So, I am breakfasting on a bowl of proper, slow-cooked pinhead oats (made with salt, as is the only civilized way to make oats), unsweetened with cream and it is amaaaaaaazing.

Any other oatmealophiles aboard?

nonplayingcharacter

Registered
Reaction score
Can you say more about using salt? When is the salt incorporated?

This is how I make oatmeal currently:

-Melt butter in saucepan.
-Add oats.
-Stir oats and butter over heat until oats have taken on some decent color.
-Add water.
-Boil and reduce until oats are suitable softness. (Add water if necessary.)

I'd love to alter my method to be more civilized.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I have a recipe from an old "Sesame Street" cookbook that involves turning cold oatmeal into patties, covering them in breadcrumbs and frying them in butter. :D

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Can you say more about using salt? When is the salt incorporated?

This is how I make oatmeal currently:

-Melt butter in saucepan.
-Add oats.
-Stir oats and butter over heat until oats have taken on some decent color.
-Add water.
-Boil and reduce until oats are suitable softness. (Add water if necessary.)

I'd love to alter my method to be more civilized.

Ooh, sounds like you're making oat risotto. Sounds great!

To be honest, my "civilized" crack was based on oatmeal being served without salt in restaurants and hotels for the last couple of decades, some misguided collision of the association of salt with ill health and the assumption that people do not eat oatmeal for pleasure, I guess.

If I were making a risotto-style oatmeal I would add salt with the liquid, the same as I would if making a rice risotto.

But if you like it that way I will not argue, and indeed will apologize for associating saltlessness with barbarity.

nonplayingcharacter

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, sounds like you're making oat risotto. Sounds great!

To be honest, my "civilized" crack was based on oatmeal being served without salt in restaurants and hotels for the last couple of decades, some misguided collision of the association of salt with ill health and the assumption that people do not eat oatmeal for pleasure, I guess.

If I were making a risotto-style oatmeal I would add salt with the liquid, the same as I would if making a rice risotto.

But if you like it that way I will not argue, and indeed will apologize for associating saltlessness with barbarity.

Not at all. It's just that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and I do love oatmeal. So, a new approach is interesting to me.

Yes, my current method is kind of risotto like. Makes me wonder if it would be any good using duck stock instead of water. An experiment for another day.

At any rate, I think I'll pick up some bacon and maple syrup at the store today and have some oatmeal in my own New-World fashion. At least it's not instant.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
So, I am breakfasting on a bowl of proper, slow-cooked pinhead oats (made with salt, as is the only civilized way to make oats), unsweetened with cream and it is amaaaaaaazing.

Any other oatmealophiles aboard?
*raises paw*

Steel cut oats are my addiction. No milk or cream for me, but salt, pepper and butter. On occasion, when I'm feeling rebellious, I'll add in a handful of raisins and top it with pure maple syrup.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I love oatmeal, with tons of butter and salt. No sweetness!

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I grew up in the West Country in the UK, and used to use full cream, sugar, and a pinch of mace. Being somewhat more concerned about my health, I've replaced the cream with half milk-half water. Still use mace and sugar, though.

Hubby swears by oatmeal soaked overnight in the fridge with plain yogurt, a dash of milk, and frozen raspberries (which defrost overnight).

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I grew up in the West Country in the UK, and used to use full cream, sugar, and a pinch of mace. Being somewhat more concerned about my health, I've replaced the cream with half milk-half water. Still use mace and sugar, though.

Hubby swears by oatmeal soaked overnight in the fridge with plain yogurt, a dash of milk, and frozen raspberries (which defrost overnight).

I've periodically done the overnight oats method (and sometimes the "pack it in the morning ready by lunchtime method), with oats and yogurt and milk, plus mixins. It's super tasty, and with infinite variety.