Another new one from big sky country!

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Hi from the wide open spaces!
I have juuuuuuust finished the first draft of my first novel.

Phew!

75,420 words (yay!) but...here comes the rewrite and editing!

Good times!

I write fiction mostly.I hadn't planned on writing this one but I found myself thinking about it. So I just decided to write and see how far I got! Mostly I just wrote what I wanted to read. ;)

I'm a horse girl, music fanatic, cat and dog magnet, like hunting, hiking, dancing, terrible at fishing (little patience, make too much noise) and seriously suck at house cleaning. My MC does too!! :)

I got sort of interested in the headaches and the problems of the characters. It can be hard! Who knew?? I wrote myself in to several corners. The ending seemed like a mirage. But truly, there is nothing like finally getting to The End.

So, very interesting community. Really enjoying reading all the different threads!

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, bombergirl69, from a fellow Mountain West gal! Congratulations on your first first draft. That's a big deal. I look forward to seeing you 'round the boards.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Hey snowstorm! Those Wyoming mountains are some of my most favorite places (alaska basin in the tetons, anywhere around dubois). I almost took a job in Sheridan just for the big horns. Gillette? Kaycee? Casper? Not so much (but great places to dance to swinging country bands!) :)

rockondon

Registered
Reaction score
What's 'big sky country?' You got me curious.

I'm from Canada. I guess that's big snow country.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
MT: the only state whose license plate bears the name of a novel, by A.B. Guthrie, came out in 1950 or so. Ten Tough Trips by Bill Bevis is a great tour of the best fiction about the state. Great quote: It's all gone now....Norman Maclean, looking back on the Blackfoot River of the 1920s, says it was paradise then but it's all gone now; Ivan Doig, looking back on the Montana of the thirties and forties, says it was paradise then (innocence at least), but it's all gone now.
It ain't quite. Spent 20+ years in Helena and get back when I can. welcome bombergirl!

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
Welcome to AW! I think you will have an absolute ball here. Congratulations on completing your first draft! Best wishes and see you around!

Oreos

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first draft! I'm pretty interested to learn more about what you have created.

<-- Fellow newb

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Bombergirl.

I grew up in Big Timber, worked all over Montana, and fished, hunted, backpacked, camped, and cross-country skied everywhere under the big sky.

Good luck with your novel and other writing.

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, bombergirl! You seem to have brought all the Westerners out of the woodwork.

My MC is from northern Nevada, although she's moved away so it's seen as nostalgia/flashback. Looking forward to your story!

A. P. Schofield

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!
Congrats on your first draft. I think we can all remember the time we finished ours. Now the exciting part of editing begins, the start of a new road we must all travel down to learn from so we may one day be the next Stephen King or J. K. Rowling.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Montana is fantastic but it's not completely all gone now! Bummer that we finally had to have speed limits. Our state speed limit used to be "reasonable and prudent". But there is still fabulous fishing and hunting to be found (nope, not telling exactly where but there's some mighty great country!!) And yes, if you are even on the plains of eastern MT, you'll see why it's called "big sky"...endless sky and plains.

I'm up outside Glacier park (not plains, big snowy mountains), pretty damn stunning! Pretty close to the Blackfeet rez as well, also gorgeous!

I actually was a Colorado horse girl too - went to CSU for grad school (go Rams!) and had my boys with me. Fabulous horse country down there!!

I'm "revisioning"! I got some great tips on this so am hanging with it. do plenty of writing for work but not fiction (I hope; I'm a psychologist so I HOPE it's not!!) It probably would have been better if i'd actually followed any rules or taken a class or read a book about writing or something. I just wrote the story!

But now?

Ugh.

I am putting quite a dent in my box of graham crackers!

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Count me as one of those strange people who likes Browning :eek: or at least has pleasant memories of it from 40 years ago. (Ah, the museum, the wonderful museum!) Tho I don't much like mountains leering over my shoulder (we have a family cabin just out of Essex) -- it's the plains and high desert for me! Fortunately Montana has something for everyone. :D

The reason we had to ditch that "reasonable and prudent" speed limit was because some idiot decided to sue the state because his notion of R&P didn't match theirs. I forget the details (I vaguely recall the idiot got in a wreck) but the state decided being sued by idiots was not so fun, and legally, if a speed limit exists it can be pointed at as the limit of R&P. However, generally Montana assumes reason and prudence by its citizens, rather than assuming incompetence by its wards. So if you ain't R&P, it's on your head. :D

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! love the tag line, reziac! And Browning..Heartbutte, amazing places for sure. Love Museum of the Plains Indian too! My husband is Blackfeet, and that museum is loaded with his family stuff!

Something for everyone indeed. Actually my preference is near Livingston, big wide spaces (not as wide as Clyde Park which might as well be the moon). But a lot of very rich folks think the same, can't blame them, it's pretty country, so unless I hit the lottery, I'll probably stay in the Flathead!

Is your cabin near Izaak Walton Inn? Husband was raised around Essex as dad did a lot of RR stuff.

I liked the 5$ wasting fuel ticket or whatever it was when 55mpg was enforced. :)

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Livingston is too cold for me. Lived around Bozeman/Belgrade for 12 years and that was cold enough. :eek: Really like it out in the Three Forks banana belt, but we couldn't find any property that was both suitable and affordable. :(

The cabin is just south of the highway, at the Essex bridge. My uncle got it back about 1960, when you just about couldn't give away land around there. I think he was working out of Cut Bank at the time, building roads and such.

Didn't they build a new museum facility? The old one was in a historic little cabin... not very big but really well done. You can't go through Browning without stopping at the museum!!

Yeah, trust Montana to put its own spin on D.C.'s attempts to tell us when to sow and when to reap!

And it's an old old BBS tagline... I have it on a button on my SF-convention vest, too. Never stops being funny!

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the museum did burn, and unfortunately a lot of my husband's family's stuff burned with it. But they still have a ton of very interesting things, a very, very well done museum (as opposed to the Smithsonian, but that is another story - among other things my husband was told he was "represented by the Sioux")

I know some people looking to sell a ranch in Three Forks...maybe throw in a few horses too!!! They are very eager to sell! you might get a screaming deal- actually it's in Trident but very close.

Fabulous country (as long as one is fine with Carhart fashion designs; if the feedstore doesn' sell it, we don't need it!)

TomMcClaren

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I think the best idea is to write something you'd read and just see where the chips fall. I just did the same and while editing can bog you down, it's also fun to go back and actually get to read what you wrote. So good luck and if you need any advice or help, let me know! I do love getting messages. :p

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Yes, the museum did burn, and unfortunately a lot of my husband's family's stuff burned with it.

I hadn't heard about that! Now I'm sad. :(

But they still have a ton of very interesting things, a very, very well done museum (as opposed to the Smithsonian, but that is another story - among other things my husband was told he was "represented by the Sioux")

Right, like Montana is represented by Oregon. Hey, they're both on the same side of the country, right?

I know some people looking to sell a ranch in Three Forks...maybe throw in a few horses too!!! They are very eager to sell! you might get a screaming deal- actually it's in Trident but very close.

Not that one at the foot of the hill into Clarkston? (Montana Horses, I think they call it.) I lived up there for a year, in fact about 3 miles north of that place. Mud, mud, and more mud, except when there was dust, dust, and more dust! Can't think of any listed over the hill toward Trident in the past several years, at least not anywhere near our budget. Besides, we already shot our wad -- wound up buying a place just out of Laurel.

Fabulous country (as long as one is fine with Carhart fashion designs; if the feedstore doesn' sell it, we don't need it!)

Ah, I see you shop at Murdoch's! :D

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Tom and thanks! I'm trying to keep the word "fun" in mind! ;)

and yes! Montana Horses has had the ranch up for a while. Fantastic people, probably is muddy/dusty (but...commuting distance to Sacajawea Inn in Three Forks!)

Murdoch's! Yep! We lost our "high end" clothing store, Western Warehouse, so now we have what ever Murdoch's offers AND we can get that new weed whacker twine AND several bags of feed at the same time, so it's all good!

That's where I get traction sand also, for the back of my pickup, which of course I forgot to take out one year. So, as the days wear on , the bags open, and the dirt falls out, and gets rained on, and grass starts to grow, and pretty soon I'm driving around with my own little garden. The Murdoch guys were great! They kept wanting to sell me seeds to see what else I could grow back there...

Chai Tea

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Bomber girl! I'm new here too. Congrats on finishing your first draft.