Police procedure

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently plotting out a book I actually dreamed of last night (weird) and I need some help on police procedures.
A woman causes the death of her sister in a car accident. My mc was the driver.
In these cases where a death or serious injury occurs, what happens to the people involved? Do they go straight to the hospital and then the survivors go the police for a statement? If so, how soon after the accident?
She does get charged. Where does that happen? Will she have to go to court? I know each country's laws are different, but unfortunately I haven't decided where the book will be located.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not entirely clear who does what in this scenario but in the US, medical treatment takes precedence over the criminal investigation. However, the police can still arrest people at the scene, and they will come to the hospital as well. I've treated plenty of handcuffed patients and people have been arraigned in hospital rooms.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently plotting out a book I actually dreamed of last night (weird) and I need some help on police procedures.
A woman causes the death of her sister in a car accident. Accidentally? Negligently? Recklessly? Intentionally? There's a lot of differences depending upon your answer here. My mc was the driver.
In these cases where a death or serious injury occurs, what happens to the people involved? Injured go to the hospital, uninjured are questioned at the scene. Later supplemental statements might be requested. Do they go straight to the hospital and then the survivors go the police for a statement? Police may question at the hospital or request they go to the police station. If patient admitted to hospital, questioning is done after the doctor clears the patient for questioning. If so, how soon after the accident? As soon as police resources are available and the person is medically cleared for questioning.
She does get charged. Where does that happen? It depends. This would be an arrest warrant. It's possible they'd let her go to the police station to be arrested and bailed, or it might be that they go to her house to arrest her. Will she have to go to court? Probably, but there is a low possibility of avoiding court. I know each country's laws are different, but unfortunately I haven't decided where the book will be located. This is the standard English system of justice, good for England, USA, Australia, New Zealand. Differences exist but not within the broad answers I've given you.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, what do you need to happen? This may help shape what events you need to have happen to lead to your plot goals.

Jeff