Chinese Government Rages: Dalai Lama MUST Reincarnate! We will make it happen!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/w...dalai-lama-spill-into-the-afterlife.html?_r=0

The current Dalai Lama has announced that he might not reincarnate into a new life.

This has infuriated the Communist government of China, which has stated that the Dalai Lama has no say in his reincarnation and that they will make sure he reincarnates regardless.

“Decision-making power over the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, and over the end or survival of this lineage, resides in the central government of China,” said Mr. Zhu, formerly a deputy head of the United Front Department of the Communist Party, which oversees dealings with religious and other nonparty groups. He now leads the ethnic and religious affairs committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, an advisory body that meets at the same time as the Legislature, or National People’s Congress.

Mr. Zhu accused the Dalai Lama of trampling on sacred traditions.

The Communist government of China has manipulated and meddled in the religion of Tibet for decades as part of its justification for seizing the country in 1950.

Controlling the Dalai Lama would give China an appearance of legitimacy, or at least a lever to blackmail ordinary Tibetans with.

In 1995 the Dalai Lama identified a six-year-old child as the latest incarnation of the Panchen Lama, the second-highest-ranking lama in Tibet.

China promptly started a smear campaign against the child.

The Communist Chinese then presented their own candidate for the Panchen Lama, who they trot out on occasion and have made sure to educate in Beijing.

The original child identified as the Panchen Lama by the Dalai Lama has not been seen since, nor has his family, nor have the people the Dalai Lama sent to search for the child.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I don't know how the Dalai Lama feels, but no government jackboot thug is going to force me to reincarnate. When I'm done, I'm done.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Zhu accused the Dalai Lama of trampling on sacred traditions.

Someone pick up his bitten tongue from the floor.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
This is so bizarre. Did the Onion change its name to the New York Times?

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Atheists demanding a Buddhist leader reincarnate and alleging that his statement that he may not constitutes blasphemy?

That's a pretty serious lack of simple fucking insight there.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
“A truly compassionate attitude toward others does not change even if they behave negatively or hurt you.”
― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
In Kung Fu Panda, Master Oogway mentions the (apparently French) proverb about how one often meets one's destiny on the road one takes to avoid it.

These efforts to control the Dalai Lama's reincarnation - a process over which they inherently could have no control, and which is ridiculous in light of the Chinese government's purportedly atheist leanings, as has been mentioned - could very well backfire horribly...

Or am I the only one who thinks we'll have AI war machines coming online round about the time this Dalai Lama shuffles off his mortal coil? "I've done the peace thing long enough - time for a change..." ;)

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a Buddhist, but I admire its structure & tenets a great deal. My personal efforts to peacefully co-exist within the parameters of modern culture are renewed daily as I strive to find meaning in a beautiful, horrible, complex and chaotic universe of vast possibilities and outcomes; a moment of contemplation on a wise, old man's musing seems prudent here, at the coney stand of life where I am seldom brave enough to order one with everything- despite my deepest desires for quantifiable human progress. And so it goes. . . KV

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
These efforts to control the Dalai Lama's reincarnation - a process over which they inherently could have no control, and which is ridiculous in light of the Chinese government's purportedly atheist leanings, as has been mentioned - could very well backfire horribly...

Or am I the only one who thinks we'll have AI war machines coming online round about the time this Dalai Lama shuffles off his mortal coil? "I've done the peace thing long enough - time for a change..." ;)

Now I'm just imagining the Dalai Lama being reincarnated as the artificial intelligence of a massive warmech.

(And there's an idea for a sci-fi story!)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm calling it. Cyberpunk Avatar.

Hmm...

Airbender was the late 1850s.

Korra was the 1920s.

So, the next one would, logically, be a Earth-bender (it goes Fire, Air, Water, Earth) in the 90s.

And since the Earth Kingdom is based off China...

Wow, this really is the plot to the next Avatar series.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hmm...

Airbender was the late 1850s.

Korra was the 1920s.

So, the next one would, logically, be a Earth-bender (it goes Fire, Air, Water, Earth) in the 90s.

And since the Earth Kingdom is based off China...

Wow, this really is the plot to the next Avatar series.

If the original had elements of Steampunk the LoK had Dieselpunk, how shall we name the 90's version of this? Beeperpunk?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since Avatar's tech-level is at least a few decades ahead of ours in some areas, I see no reason why it WOULDN'T be cyberpunk.

EDIT: And this derail is a little silly...just as silly as the Chinese government's announcement!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I just . . . I can't . . . I . . .

Just when I begin to think I've seen the silliest statements possible for a human being to utter, I . . . . . .

I . . . just . . . . . . . .

caw

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm just imagining the Dalai Lama being reincarnated as the artificial intelligence of a massive warmech.

(And there's an idea for a sci-fi story!)
---

Sounds like Landru meets the Borg.

"You shall be...absorbed.

Or I may just decide to obliterate you."

:D

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would be happy if Terry Pratchett reincarnated. As Terry Pratchett.