Hakuri Murakami novels not on shelves in bookstores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
This question is my father's. He has done some Googling to no avail and wants an answer to this mystery. And he asked me since I am supposedly the expert on publishing in our family. I'm not sure where to post this, so I've put it in the Roundtable.

My father bought 1Q84, I believe, after seeing it on a display table at Chapter/Indigo, the big bookstore chain around here (Toronto). Later, he went to another Indigo, and in fiction under "M" there was a note saying something to the effect of: "For Hakuri Murakami books, please ask an employee." At yet a third Indigo, there were no Hakuri Murakami books on the shelves either, and no note. But when my father asked, an employee went to the back and got him the book he wanted. When he asked why the books weren't on the shelves, she gave some strange answer about it being easier to keep track of stock this way, or something like that. (?)

Hakuri Murakami is a fairly popular author. Why wouldn't his books be on the shelves, though they are sometimes on the display tables? My dad wonders if they were being stolen or vandalized for some reason. Apparently 1Q84 does make fun of a religious sect which seems to be a thinly-disguised Jehovah's Witnesses. But that it is his only idea, and he thinks it's unlikely.

So...anyone know why this might be?

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly someone else has insight here; I googled and found nothing to indicate any reason for this. If I were in your shoes I'd call the bookstore directly. Asking a floor worker might not get you far, but phone calls can yield all kinds of information if you're persistent.

Hugh

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why Hakuri's novels would not be on store bookshelves - but my local indie bookstore does not put Henry Bukowski novels on the shelf because they were a high theft item.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Possibly someone else has insight here; I googled and found nothing to indicate any reason for this. If I were in your shoes I'd call the bookstore directly. Asking a floor worker might not get you far, but phone calls can yield all kinds of information if you're persistent.

I don't think it matters enough to us to be persistent :) More of a curiosity than anything else. The books can still be bought.

I don't know why Hakuri's novels would not be on store bookshelves - but my local indie bookstore does not put Henry Bukowski novels on the shelf because they were a high theft item.

huh. That's interesting. I wonder why they would be a high theft item?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Only guessing - they may have had some issue with local JWs and thus the local stores found it easier to just pull the books to the back for a bit than deal with whatever (be it vandalism, confrontations with staff, whatever).

It may be on a school reading list. If, say, a large 100-level class at U of T has it on the syllabus, or a big h.s., might actually be easier to have put a certain number in the back and keep track in a central location than keep putting three or whatever out and having people ask if there are any and having employees checking computers for stock. Shopping at various chains has convinced me that the computers don't update that well, heh. I dunno?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Shopping at various chains has convinced me that the computers don't update that well, heh. I dunno?

Where I work, it usually takes the computer system 24 hours to update stock. That results in a lot of instances when it says we have an item even though we've already sold it.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I never have trouble finding them on the shelves at the B&N down here. Just in passing, really. My trouble is finding either Book 1 or Book 2 in an ongoing series in literally any genre. Murakami though is usually easy to find. I live in Southeastern US, if that makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.