what music do you...

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
...listen to as you write? do you listen to a specific playlist or do you switch about from song to song depending on the scene you're writing? or do you listen to tv shows or movies while writing?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't always use music to write to, but it's a godsend when I need to muffle other sounds.

I can only use light classical and new age, with a fair amount I buy just for writing. No lyrics. No big dramatic sections. I want background, no more than that.

I don't make any attempt to match the music's mood or feel with what I'm writing. The words alone need to do that, and writing a big scene to invigorating, triumphant music may make me think it's better than it is.

Maryn, knowing we all work differently

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever I'm in the mood for, and pretty much what my typical musical interests are (rock, metal, industrial). Generally, however, I listen to music I know well; if I listen to a new album or artist, I tend to pay more attention to it than my writing.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
It varies from day to day, from piece to piece, and from location to location. (I don't write in the same place every day.)

My music taste is as diverse as my writing genres. I'll cover everything from classical/New Age to Metal. Though I admit it's rare for Rap to make the writing shuffle.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I can't write with music on, especially if it has lyrics in English.

I'm pretty sure the act of comprehending someone else's spoken words uses the same circuits in my brain as figuring out what words I want to write down, because I cannot do both at the same time.

But even instrumental music is a distraction. I prefer silence. White noise would probably be fine.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure the act of comprehending someone else's spoken words uses the same circuits in my brain as figuring out what words I want to write down, because I cannot do both at the same time.

But even instrumental music is a distraction. I prefer silence. White noise would probably be fine.

Believe it or not, I have actually never tried white noise. That might help with some of my recent distractions and frustrations when I sit down to read. Thanks for the tip!

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I get that language thing, too, which is why I hardly ever listen to German music anymore, even when I'm not wiritng. English isn't a problem for me. I understand it almost as well as German, but it seems easier to blend out. Either that, or it isn't about the language at all but about the fact that most German music I like is really text-focussed, whereas most English-speaking music I like is more about the music.
But it's more likely the language.

Any music that doesn't draw too much attention is fine. (Elvis Costello's more recent albums didn't work at all for me, for example, through no fault of their own.) Familiar music is slightly better than new stuff, but I like a lot of new stuff and it becomes familiar quick. No preferences feeding in from what I write - I like the part of my brain that tends to the music to be really independent from the part that thinks about the story, so I'll just let it play along its own lines. It's the whole point of it, after all. To give the part of my brain that wants to play and not concentrate something to play with.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
I don't listen while I actually writing. But I'm a music person and I am constantly listening to music all the time. During my first draft, I do listen to certain music. Not when I'm writing but relaxing, or driving, or messing around the house. And the music matches what I'm writing. Something kind of creepy, psycho, or a supernatural type book, I'll have a playlist of something like, Black Sabbath, Marilyn Manson, old slim shady Eminem. Just to keep me in the mood when I'm away from my writing.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
My current project deals pretty heavily with musical theatre and stuff, so, naturally, I'm listening to quite a bit of that -- especially from the show that my characters are putting on (A Man of No Importance, fwiw).

I've also found myself listening to a lot of stuff that I never thought I'd listen to, because it makes me think of them. Stuff like Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj, just for starters . . . also this girl from the disney channel, Sabrina Carpenter. It just seems to fit my story! It's an interesting adventure.

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score
I usually can't listen to music when I'm writing. Sometimes I listen to film scores, or music in foreign languages, but silence works best for me.

I do enjoy finding songs that suit my story, though, and I listen to them a lot for inspiration or when planning.

LilyJade

Registered
Reaction score
I almost have to have music going in the background when I am writing and it sort of has to fit the mood of the scene. Big battle? Then I have on Halestorm and other hard rock artists for example.

Another go to is my youtube playlist that has a lot of stuff by Lindsey Stirling and Peter Hollens.

Oldborne

Registered
Reaction score
I mostly listen to either cinematic scores, or relaxing instrumental music.

Spotify's Music For Concentration playlist is pretty great!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
When writing, I usually listen to my Doctor Who soundtrack. It's mostly instrumental (and I've listened to the vocal songs in there enough that they don't distract) and the music is often upbeat enough to keep my mind active

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com

Bothers me, too. Only exceptions are a few Arabic songs if they're in the mood of what I'm writing, or really rarely, something I understand.

But in instrumentals, I like having what fits the mood of the story indeed, so I made this playlist for my current WIP:
cx3uu87jgoexuasdx.jpg

biggie321hp

Registered
Reaction score
Epic soundtracks. The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, songs from the MCU, The Elder Scrolls, Spartacus, Two Steps From Hell, M83, Star Wars, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Braveheart, Doctor Who, The Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, Harry Potter, Forrest Gump, etc. Anything beautiful and epic.

m.f.alira

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm it usually depends on the scene, I love listening to sad slow songs when I'm writing a sad scene. I feel the scene runs faster in my head and the words flow quicker.

ExiledStar

Baby penguin of DOOM
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkhajdin.com
I listen to various Youtube videos that I find by searching "study music". Usually it's new-agey stuff combined with soundwaves that are supposed to stimulate your brain. I have to write in a room with a TV always blaring, which drives me nuts unless I wear headphones and listen to something soothing.

SoCo Word Machine

Registered
Reaction score
Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel, Radiohead, Brand New, etc. A lot of it is considered indie rock I guess. Crazy good lyrics and beautiful songwriting.