Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
NUh uh -- I got till the 28th before I lose any sleep

:tongue

And the Australians get until 5 April (Easter Sunday) when they will have an extra hour in bed, in the parts of the country which observe Daylight Savings Time.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I have to think that, if aliens were passing by this weekend, they'd see the whole clock change thing, conclude there was no intelligent life on Earth, and move along. That's the biggest benefit of Daylight Saving Time.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't friggin stand it. I'm messed up on sleep for a week afterward. :(

It messes me up for at least 2 weeks - At least now that I'm retired, I don't have to go to work all jacked up any more. :sleepy:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My sleep patterns won't change until Wednesday night/Thursday morning, because I sprung ahead only to fall back with a time zone change today.

It's a lot less confusing than when I visited Central during the time change in November.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I have to think that, if aliens were passing by this weekend, they'd see the whole clock change thing, conclude there was no intelligent life on Earth, and move along. That's the biggest benefit of Daylight Saving Time.

calvin-on-intelligent-life.jpg

Celimlodyn

Registered
Reaction score
Part of it is that the idiot wanted to make it safer for school kinds. Without daylight saving time, kids have to go to school when it's still dark, and too many get hit by cars, and have other accidents.

I've heard this before, but I don't get it. I must be thinking about it wrong or something.
So last week, before DST started, where I live the sun was rising a little after 6 am and setting a little before 6 pm. Kids get on the bus anytime between 7 and 7:30 usually. Tomorrow, when getting on the bus at 7, it will effectively be 6. The sun will barely be up. How is this safer?

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
So it doesn't happen in all of America? How on earth does that work?
I'm so confused.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I clicked on this Saturday night and thought 'What! Why didn't someone warn me I would lose an hour tomorrow!' I then realised you mean the US, the clocks don't go back in the UK until the 29th March.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in the part of Indiana that didn't change (before the legislation was introduced). The annoying thing was Good Morning, America came on when I was used to watching Captain Kangaroo since TV schedules were affected.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
It reminds me of a moment on the Tonight Show years ago when Johnny Carson had a farmer as guest who refused to go on daylight savings time. Johnny asked him how did he get to things on time and the farmer simply replied that he left an hour early. Theaudience laughed hard and cheered.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I like Daylight Savings Time.

So you miss an hour of sleep for one night. So what?

Tomorrow is Sunday so I'll sleep late anyway.

I like the sunshine around 5 to 6 pm so I can go take a walk.

All of this.

I hate mornings. I enjoy sleeping in. I have to get up early for work Monday-Friday, however. It makes no difference to me whether we're on Standard Time or DST because most of the year, it's dark or nearly dark when I leave for work. I'd much rather have the extra sunlight after work. I get off at 330, so it gives me so much time in the summer to enjoy the weather. Plus, I like hot weather.

Do I hate losing an hour? As much as the next person. But I normally sleep in the next day, so who cares? I've never understood those who take an entire week to get used to DST. My husband is the same way, though, whether we're moving the clocks forward or back. It doesn't hurt that he doesn't bother to change the clock in his truck, so he's constantly confusing himself until he gets used to that clock being off an hour.

Old joke:

Exactly what my husband says, only in different words. He's a morning person, so he'd rather it always be lighter in the morning.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
My son had an 8:15am indoor soccer match on Sunday. So, basically 7:15. Which meant getting him up at 6am to feed him in advance. On a Sunday.

I let my wife sleep in and got him ready, drove him there. Then the $&#*ing owner of the facility didn't show up -- he'd forgotten about the time change, and so a dozen boys and their parents were left out in the cold. Literally.

Guess what I think of DST?!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really love springing ahead (I like the extra hour the first Sunday in NaNo, though), but I did find a good thing about it. I travel a lot for work, and I really hate driving in places I don't know after dark. Last night when I left my hotel room for dinner, though, it was still light out.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I've never understood those who take an entire week to get used to DST.

^ LOL - That would be me!!!

I can't explain it, but it takes me at least 2 weeks to adjust to the time switch/change. :Shrug:

For example, I'm so groggy on that first Sunday morning that I'm not worth 2 cents @ Church :flag:- I forgot the words to a couple of songs and tried to play it off...

...And yesterday was "Date Night" for me and Mr. Hunny - We went out for dinner at 5:30 and by 6:00 I was yawning and fighting to stay awake. :D

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
^ LOL - That would be me!!!

I can't explain it, but it takes me at least 2 weeks to adjust to the time switch/change. :Shrug:

For example, I'm so groggy on that first Sunday morning that I'm not worth 2 cents @ Church :flag:- I forgot the words to a couple of songs and tried to play it off...

...And yesterday was "Date Night" for me and Mr. Hunny - We went out for dinner at 5:30 and by 6:00 I was yawning and fighting to stay awake. :D

Haha! That's okay. I still love you. :)

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
We flew from Florida (Eastern Time) to Texas (Central Time) on Saturday, so we gained an hour in flight. Then that night we lost an hour in the time change.

My Office Outlook calendar on my iPhone tells me I have a conference call at 8am tomorrow. But... but... is that 8am Eastern or 8am Central??? Or 7am Central, or...

*sigh* At this point, I really have no idea what time it is.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
In Canada, Saskatchewan doesn't have daylight savings time. So, for half the year, they're on the same time as Manitoba, then for the other half year, they're on the same time as Alberta. I think Saskatchewan's the smarter one there.

I left time zones with daylight savings twelve years ago. I hated it. I'm so glad I no longer have to put up with that nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.