Daylight Savings switches this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't see anything on this, so here it is.

Most of us in the US lose an hour of sleep this weekend.

I hate it. I wish they would set one and leave it alone.

Opinions anyone?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I like daylight savings time. My state didn't have it for decades, and it was a complete pain in the rear during winter months. We also lost three billion dollars per year because businesses here opened an hour later than ones in neighboring states.

You get that hour back in the fall, and you'll be able to see better when you get up early in the winter, and you'll have an extra hour of daylight after work in the summer. For me, this is more than worth the one night o flosing sleep.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Old joke:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."[/FONT]

Change the batteries in your smoke and CO detectors, and test them. Even if they're hard-wired into house AC, they have batteries.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][/FONT]

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely ruins my life for about 5 days. Then I get over it.

Did anyone else hear the news blurb that there are increased heart attack risks during this disruption in our sleep cycle?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate it intensely for about a week, then I really like it.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I've never understood the time changes. What idiot decided we should make the already-short winter days an hour shorter and the already-long summer days an hour longer? It's ass-backward.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, just remember, it's Spring Back, Fall Forward.

:D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is from November 2013, so not current to the immediate anguish, but it still has some pithy things to say about the whole setup.

Why we try and "maximize daylight" like we're plants is actually an archaic practice first thought up in the late 1700s and often attributed to Benjamin Franklin. As some elementary school teacher may have explained to you, this was a practice to accommodate agricultural workers and farmers (wrong, and we'll get to this in a minute) or lower the nation's electricity usage.

A lot of that is prime b.s. There is actually no benefit or rhyme or reason we have to endure this weekend's time shift and no reason we should even be playing with the idea of losing and gaining hours. Here's why:

Scribesage

Registered
Reaction score
People are already confused and we haven't lost any sleep yet! My aunt tried to tell me we went forward an hour last weekend and I almost believed her :tongue

I don't think I've heard anyone ever say they like daylight savings time. I'm waiting for the day I meet someone who says they like losing sleep :e2zzz:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just as long as I don't miss my flight tomorrow.

Celimlodyn

Registered
Reaction score
I hate it. If businesses want more light in the evening after work, why don't they change their hours from 8-5 to 7-4? That's what DST does, only it manages to fool everyone into thinking they haven't.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind doing it, but I also think it's stupid to do. The net effect in spring is we get light for longer in the evenings (which I actually love) and it's (again) pitch dark outside when I get up for work on my early days.

So I get something I like -- the semblance of long summer evenings -- and lose something I had been enjoying -- seeing the evidence Spring is arriving by the light outside when I get up.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I don't think I've heard anyone ever say they like daylight savings time. I'm waiting for the day I meet someone who says they like losing sleep :e2zzz:
Actually, I love daylight savings time. I like the extra light at the end of the day when I'm out and about. What I don't like is the switch back to standard time where in the middle of winter, when you need light the most, it's dark at 4:30 PM.

But I would accept either if we would just stop switching. It's kind of interesting though – it's something that everyone agrees is stupid, does no one any good, but there seems to be no way to be able to get legislators to change it. Is there some DST lobby we don't know about that's pouring tons of cash into keeping the status quo?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like Daylight Savings Time.

So you miss an hour of sleep for one night. So what?

Tomorrow is Sunday so I'll sleep late anyway.

I like the sunshine around 5 to 6 pm so I can go take a walk.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not alone in my hatred of Daylight Savings Time. Twice a year I try to convert people to my views, only for them to respond by staring at me blankly. I'm starting to think Daylight Savings Time is one of those things that will always be with us even though it's inefficient and doesn't make any sense, like the Electoral College. Both Daylight Savings Time and the Electoral College were invented by founding fathers and you know what a hard-on this country has for them. I keep wanting to scream, "Yeah, but they also owned slaves so maybe we shouldn't slavishly do everything they did!" Like I've said many times and will probably say many times in the future, the Founding Fathers had some good ideas but they were very much men of their time.

As many sager and wiser would say, "Just because you've always done it, doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never understood the time changes. What idiot decided we should make the already-short winter days an hour shorter and the already-long summer days an hour longer? It's ass-backward.

Part of it is that the idiot wanted to make it safer for school kinds. Without daylight saving time, kids have to go to school when it's still dark, and too many get hit by cars, and have other accidents.

Then, in summer, just about everyone wants as many evening daylight hours as possible.

It really does work out very well for both purposes.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Part of it is that the idiot wanted to make it safer for school kinds. Without daylight saving time, kids have to go to school when it's still dark, and too many get hit by cars, and have other accidents.

In the meantime, I went to high school on a shift system, like many high schoolers in New York City did, so when I got out of school at 4:15 pm as a freshman in the fall and winter, it was dark by the time I got home.

I never really felt weird about the changes until this last one in spring; it really messed me up for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.