Do your characters have blogs?

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
This is just an idea I got. I'm probably going to self-pub something soon, and since I'm no good at marketing, I'm exploring all the ways I can think of. Thought that traffic to the blog could in the long run generate traffic to the book and vice-versa. Somehow. As I said, I suck at marketing so I'm not yet sure that this makes sense.

Anyway, so my main character's little sister who is not the smartest, not the most eloquent, and not the most discreet, is running a blog to inform the world that he's a caveman, his wife is fat, and also writes/moans about the situation of their ghetto. Basically a discreet infodump/worldbuilding platform.
He responds with scathing sarcasm, correct grammar, and an overal air of superiority.

Do your characters blog?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a few blogs written by fictitious characters like this: one was from a relatively well-known author but I can't remember who, I'm sorry to say. If it does come back to me I'll add a link in.

I don't think it did particularly well partly because it would require a huge amount of time and effort to do it well, and partly because it wasn't that interesting: the book was great, but why would anyone want to read day-to-day stuff from one of the characters?

If you can make it work then more power to you, but I'm wary.

Heroine'sJourney

SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM!
Registered
Reaction score
No, but I have read that lists, blog and diary entries are seen a LOT nowadays in pitched books, and that publishers hate seeing it, as well as song lyrics.

Syrup

Real Life Magical Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen people make Twitter and Tumblr accounts for their characters, but this is most prevalent with comic artists and the like. It tends to fall to the wayside because it's almost always too much effort to maintain.

That being said, I think it could be a cool/fun idea if you want to keep telling your characters' stories. I've toyed with the idea of creating a fictional blog as its own sort of standalone story, but I'm not sure what purpose it would serve unless it got a decent readership.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Its been a few years but I used to do one. It went something like this:

Socrates: I have a chill !!

Charlotte: Totally self imposed. NO sympathy today I need you to work.

Socrates: NO chance go away.

Charlotte: Take a pill and get functioning.

Socrates: How old am I today?

Charlotte: One Hundred and fifty.

Socrates: Oh great you are getting closer to sending me out of my mind again. So not up for that.

Charlotte: Well it is that or being eight and your grandfather trying to execute you.

Socrates: OK, OK, already. I'll be one hundred and fifty.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com