Using internet forums for sources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! :)

I posted a question in the section for those seeking interviews and sources - from here in the WC. But I was also wondering if anyone ever goes to an internet forum/community seeking out people who might want to share their experience(s) for a story (i.e., for a magazine - not fiction)?

With moderator approval of course!

I'm a freelance writer, and the last time I did service journalism work, I met people the old-fashioned way - met them in person for interviews, etc.

I think an internet forum based on a particular issue or interest could be a great place to meet people who would like to share and give a quote for a story - but I have no idea of the ethical implications and/or the etiquette for it. I don't mean "expert" opinion - just a "man on the street" POV.

Is that a big no-no?

As an aside, I'm a member of a forum for a chronic illness and I wouldn't mind if someone wanted to discuss it with me for a story - but then again, I'm a writer - so of course I'd be OK with it, lol. :D

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Do you mean general websurfing of sites and forums to gather general ideas, or more in-depth research where you engage with people, via forum or PM or other means?

I'd think the ethical thing to do would be to ask up front, either when you join the forum or before you use anything said (particularly direct quotes) in your work. Be honest about what you're looking for, and how you mean to use information you're gathering. I wouldn't think there'd be a problem, so long as you're honest, though some topics - and people - are by nature more sensitive than others.

Respect your sources.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Brightdreamer, thanks for the advice! :)

I'd like to really engage with people. I'd be very upfront about my intentions and plans. My idea was to first contact a forum moderator to ask permission - let them know that I'm planning to write something about X topic, and would love to get some input from members, etc.

Also I would make it clear that I was pitching an article if it wasn't yet assigned, and would keep them updated - and I would give my real name, contact info, website, etc. for extra measure.

So, now that I'm typing this out, it's really like what I used to do "IRL" - but on the 'net! :)

I really loved interviewing people in person - and I miss it. But that was for a local paper. Now I'd like to get input from people outside my city!

Anyway, thanks so much for replying and giving me your thoughts, I really appreciate it!

Do you mean general websurfing of sites and forums to gather general ideas, or more in-depth research where you engage with people, via forum or PM or other means?

I'd think the ethical thing to do would be to ask up front, either when you join the forum or before you use anything said (particularly direct quotes) in your work. Be honest about what you're looking for, and how you mean to use information you're gathering. I wouldn't think there'd be a problem, so long as you're honest, though some topics - and people - are by nature more sensitive than others.

Respect your sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.