OceanMadness is New In Town

OceanMadness

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I am OceanMadness and super excited to be here!

(''Ocean madness is no excuse for ocean rudeness!'')

I have been a writer all of my life, though I took nearly a decade hiatus from writing fiction while I was a student. Having fiction back in my life has been a sort of reawakening for me - it's both old hat and brand new. Certainly this is the first time in my life I have ever actively shared my work or written seriously for publication. It is really strange and wonderful to be able to talk to other writers about the process, and to share what I'm doing. That is something I've never done before. I have a minor panic attack every time I share something, but I am getting used to it.

I've been working on a novel for the last year, voraciously (several hours a day) since September 2014. It's long, complex, and definitely the most challenging thing I have ever written. I often feel like what I'm doing is impossible. There have been times I've wanted to throw my laptop out the window. But I keep going anyway because writing is my life, and there is nothing I love more than writing fiction. Me, Scrivener, and a cardboard box to live in - this is all I require for life satisfaction.

The book is a romance, it's fantasy (the first fantasy anything I've ever written) but my style tends more toward realism, with a heavy emphasis on dialog and character development. This isn't a world with magic, just a world where I can play around with the politics and culture at will, so I get to write about poverty, racism, genocide, civil war etc. without boxing myself into reality. I have written 27 Chapters and supposedly have 6 chapters left to write before I finish the first draft, so naturally I am going back to compulsively rewrite everything rather than just finish the damned thing.

Anyhow, I could probably write a novel about writing my novel, so I'll shut up now and let someone else have the floor. Thanks for popping in!

Christy

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

cynreeda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegoblinkingdom.wordpress.com
Hi! I'm new here too.

Your novel sounds interesting. Fantasy is actually a very freeing genre, but it's also very difficult to write. I find myself spending hours and creative juices just in world building. There's so much to consider to help make your world seem real.

It must feel nice to be back. I actually took a few year hiatus myself. I got scared of trying to write a novel again, but I'm finally over it and writing again. It feels great!

annapalooza

Learning about time management
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! I've been writing for some time too, but only just recently sharing and it's a whole new exciting element to the process! Along with the fact that it's a super crucial and immensely helpful element! Good luck with the rest of your novel!