RIP Leonard Nimoy, 83

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
One of my favorite shows as a child was In Search Of. Nimoy was the narrator. He got me interested in all sorts of things - Bermuda Triangle, witches, Atlantis, Roanoke, etc.

And since I also grew up on Star Trek, this hits hard (my parents had a Star Trek wedding)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have loved him since the first Star Trek series. He was more than Spock, and more than an actor. But his characterization of Spock won my heart and loyalty as a fan. I would have loved to have actually known him and been his friend.

He also wrote poetry and was a photographer and did music and directed. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but he was very versatile and creative.

My world is dimmed by his passing. I'm going to miss knowing he was alive and doing his thing on the same planet I live on even though I didn't have the chance to meet him in person. Whether that makes any sense or not, it is nonetheless true.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I grew up on the original Star Trek. My father only had a few shows that he watched and this was on of them. He called it the Spocky guy. I always loved Star Trek and became a full fledged Trekker in high school.

Leonard Nimoy was just a legend. I heard he'd been hospitalized and just last night I said to my wife that I feared we were going to lose him.

In my mind, he was really the lynch pin of the original cast.

He will be missed.

BeeGem

The one with the gemstone eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I have loved him since the first Star Trek series. He was more than Spock, and more than an actor. But his characterization of Spock won my heart and loyalty as a fan. I would have loved to have actually known him and been his friend.

He also wrote poetry and was a photographer and did music and directed. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but he was very versatile and creative.

My world is dimmed by his passing. I'm going to miss knowing he was alive and doing his thing on the same planet I live on even though I didn't have the chance to meet him in person. Whether that makes any sense or not, it is nonetheless true.

It makes sense to me. Beautifully put.

RIP, Leonard. We miss you already.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The world became a better place because of Star Trek. Spock found most of our human foibles both illogical and yet utterly necessary for the exploration of the unknown. The role wouldn't have worked as well with any other actor. Spock made people, each and every week, question ourselves and our humanity. I will always treasure that need to question what I do to be sure I keep my humanity. :). RIP

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The world has become a little darker and the stars have dimmed. I remember watching him since I was little in: Star Trek, Mission Impossible, In Search Of..., and then the Star Trek movies as a teen and adult. He's always been there. Not any more. It's hitting me harder now than earlier when I first head the sad news. RIP, sir.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
He gave a lot, not just in terms of acting, but of himself, to his community, the acting community, the world of art and literature. In short, he was a mensch. RIP, Mr. Nimoy.

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
RIP.

Next year is supposed to be Star Trek's fiftieth anniversary, I believe. It will be sad for him not to be there.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely on my short list of heroes.
Nemoy.jpg

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
He was definitely more than Spock, but it was Spock who led me to seek Nimoy out. Death is inevitable but my world is definitely dimmer tonight.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of the 50th Anniversary, I very much remember seeing this promo (OMG I'm getting old), and was very excited by the thought of this new show. Even back then at age 9, I thought THIS PROMO beat the pants of "Lost In Space."

Featuring, of course, the "Vulcanian" [sic]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh-8jm1zYhU

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Nimoy's 1968 letter to a mixed-race teen:

In addition to the legions of Star Trek fans who revered him, Spock and, by extension Nimoy, was considered a hero by many people who'd ever felt different.

In 1968, one of those people, a teenaged girl whose mother was black and whose father was white, wrote to Fave magazine asking Spock, who was half-human, half-Vulcan, how he'd handled the rejection of not fitting in. Nimoy was so moved by the letter that he penned a response, which Fave then published the following month. Nimoy's letter is both touching and inspiring.

"It takes a great deal of courage to turn your back on popularity and to go out on your own," Nimoy writes. "Although inside you're not really like members of the pack, it's still frightening to decide to leave them, because as long as you're popular, you have at least someone to hang around with."

Full letter (and the teen's letter to him) at the link.

ETA:

I wonder where this teen is now, and what her reaction was to Nimoy's response.

Last edited:

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
He narrated the preshow of the IMAX theater of the local science museum where I used to spend a lot of time as a kid. It was a mainstay of my childhood.

Rest in peace, Mr. Nimoy, who grew up three blocks from here...