The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Justice Literary / Justice PR

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar

Justice Literary / Justice PR

http://justiceliterary.com/

The miracle of Twitter. Just saw a #tenqueries blurb retweeted from an author I follow. Found the website. No sales. A bio that ends mid-sentence.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

practical experience, FTW Casey Karp's Avatar
    Thanks for starting the thread.

I was similarly taken aback by the website with its weird appearing/disappearing blurb about getting to know "us", the truncated bio, and the apparent use of the first person plural for a single-agent group.

The large number of requests in #tenqueries is worrisome, too. I rarely see more than one request in twenty or thirty queries there, and Alicia is requesting three or four in every batch. Sign of a newbie trying to build a stable quickly?

And some of the individual tweets are disturbing, too. A request because the plot has been in the news lately? Is it still going to be in the news by the time she pitches it to editors, let alone by the time it sees print?

My semi-educated opinion is to wait and see. Let someone else take the risk of signing with Ms. Justice.
    The RagTime Traveler: Coming from Poisoned Pen Press, June 2017!

The Stairs, The Guides, and the Bay Area Splat Squad
    : On hiatus (Query thread for minor historical value)
    Lord Peter's Eyes: Querying!
    Mo'less Jones: On hold
    No Title Yet: Writing, writing, writing

Wanna talk tech, SFF, or cats? Drop me a note.

Blogging regularly at Koi Scribblings

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin madjack's Avatar
    I also see red flags all over her website. I wish I was brave enough to ask her what her credentials for being an agent are.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Per her LinkedIn profile, her previous experience consists of being a book blogger and a wedding/event planner. She's also co-owner of a PR/blog tour company, which is at least a potential conflict of interest, especially given this from the Justice Literary website:
    With the Justice label we also provide our PR and Marketing department, which offers a range of support in all areas of marketing and public relations, including areas of social media marketing all the way up to print marketing.
    Back in the late 1990's and early 2000's, manuscript display sites were major trolling grounds for amateur and questionable agents. Now the same thing seems to be happening with Twitter.

- Victoria

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    It's happening on Twitter daily and it's very alarming. #mswl is the big one. #pitmad #pitmadness - people need to do their homework.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

I blogged about it a few months ago: Twitter is an unfiltered conduit, so of course the less-than-stellar agencies and publishers gravitate toward it.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

Coming back from #Pitmad, I had one of my tweets favourited by Justice Literary and tried googling around (couldn't find much), checked their website (very little info), and checked the BR&BC sub forum and thankfully found this. Looks like it might be one I'll be passing on.. Thanks AW.
    A New Breed is Awakening~

Hybrids - Round 2 Revisions; after three brave beta-readers, our young heroine must battle the red-pocked manuscript and re-write a new beginning

This will all make sense tomorrow
    I wrote a tweet imploring #pitmad folk to follow instructions and do their research before subbing. The tweet got retweeted by Justice Lit. I clicked out of curiousity, clicked out again just as quickly. Not much to see at all.

And if that website sentence posted by Victoria is an example of sentence structure for press releases etc...ugh.
    Timeless Wicked Romance
    ---
    Web: www.nicola-davidson.com
    FB: Nicola Davidson - Author
    Twitter: @NicolaMDavidson
    Newsletter sign up: http://goo.gl/forms/mR2JZ5ySfR
    ---
    Regency Tudor Contemporary
    To Love a Hellion
    out now
    His Forbidden Lady
    out now
    Ladies First
    out now
    Rakes and Rogues box set
    (21 June 2016)
    One Forbidden Knight
    out now
    Once Upon a Promise
    (11 July 2016)

practical experience, FTW kelliewallace's Avatar
    She followed me on LinkedIn. I asked her if she's accepting submissions. She was, so I submitted. Got a rejection a few weeks later.
    http://kelliewallacebooks.com
    When our Worlds Collide - Limitless Publishing 2017

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    The PR/blog tour outfit Victoria mentions above, Jitterbug PR, is now Justice PR: http://justiceprforauthors.com/

There's also FB mention of a publishing service coming in '16.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I'm toasty and I know it. lucky toaster's Avatar
    Any more news on these guys? I submitted to them before I saw this, and they requested my full manuscript.
    Last edited by lucky toaster; 09-25-2015 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Something went technically wrong...
    New YA SciFi: 17,811 words

Completed YA SciFi novel: 84,500 words

Currently querying

Congrats on the full, lucky toaster!
    My YA debut BURRO HILLS is coming from Diversion Books in 2018!

YA LGBT Contemporary/Thriller - On submission
    YA Contemporary Mystery/Horror - Writing, 42k+
    Short Fiction Online: Rabbit Suit

Website
    + Twitter

Lucky Toaster, I gotta ask, what drew you to them? Enough to submit a query?

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

She's not listed on querytracker, which claims it screens agents before listing them there. I don't know how rigorous they are, as I've run across some on their site I'm leery of subbing too (ones who don't seem to rep anyone trade published or who don't have any sales in my genre). But if they haven't put her agency up, that might very well mean something. The lack of any experience in the publishing industry makes her a non starter for me, even if she repped my genre.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

I'm toasty and I know it. lucky toaster's Avatar
    Filigree, I had compiled a list of agents who were open to YA science fiction with disabled characters via ManuscriptWishlist.com and they were on it. Not many are willing to try--not as many as there should be, in my opinion--but anyway, I put it all down in an excel spreadsheet. Then I accidentally subbed to a few I didn't mean to (not yet) under the fog of too much cold medicine. Only when she asked for a full did I take a closer look and realize I'd made a booboo. I haven't given her my full though.
    New YA SciFi: 17,811 words

Completed YA SciFi novel: 84,500 words

Currently querying

Good luck on your submissions! And remember, just because an agent doesn't specifically say they want your kind of book doesn't mean they don't want it. Let us know when it's accepted.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Agent site gone; no sign publishing venture launched; PR services now at: http://justicepr.co/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: