• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] 18thWall Productions

Marise

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone have any experience with, or knowledge of, 18th Wall Productions? They have an open call for an anthology that sounds interesting to me, but they seem to be a very small publisher. I can't find much info about them outside their own website. So I thought I'd check here and see if anyone knows anything.

Thanks.

Marise

Registered
Reaction score
I think I heard about them through a list of open submission calls somewhere. I have never bought anything from them.

aleighrose, are you looking at their Amazon ranking, or is there some other way to look at sales number that I am not aware of?

Thanks

KAMielke

I'm clever, really.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also like to know if anyone's had any business with them. I found their call for submissions for a dragon-themed anthology on Duotrope, wrote a story to submit by the end of the month, and now I'm just doing extra research before committing.

PossForEffect

Registered
Reaction score
I have a story I'd like to share about these folks.

In November 2020, I was accepted for an anthology based on a crossover between the Cthulhu Mythos and Arthurian Legend called Shadows Over Avalon. I got the contract for it in June 2021, signed it, with the expected release date of Halloween 2021.

Halloween 2021 came and went, with no release, and few updates. In my time with this publisher, there were periods where they would send out emails assuring us that publication was imminent, and then go radio silent for up to four months. It got to the point where several people in my life just assumed that the anthology in question had been cancelled. Eventually, volume 1 came out in September 2022, Volume 2 in December.

I don't hold it against them; from what I understand, this is a very small publisher and at the time, they were going through a whole mess of life-altering events, between the COVID pandemic and the printer they were using for the physical editions screwing them over in some way, forcing them to switch printers at the 11th hour. But I still found my experience with them frustrating for a few reasons.

1) Emails from them kept getting lost on their way from their accounts to mine. I don't know how or what happened.
2) They asked us interview questions for publication and then proceeded to just... not publish them for whatever reason.
3) There was a clause on the contracts that said that if the stories went unpublished after eighteen months for whatever reason, the rights reverted back to the author. Assuming everyone received and signed their contracts around the same time I did, by the time Volume 2 released, there were less than two weeks left to meet that deadline.

Also: they pay based on a percentage of net profits, and only if those profits reach a certain threshold. As of writing, I've gotten $5.26 from my 5000-some word short story.

Last edited:

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked Volume 2 up on their site and it says "curated by". It is only on Amazon that it names two other authors. 1 review on only Amazon is pretty abysmal, and (I apologize if you had anything to do with it) that cover would send me running for the hills.

I'm sorry that you experienced that, but thank you for sharing!

PossForEffect

Registered
Reaction score
Bit of an update to this: as of writing, the publisher has missed two payment windows for the anthology I was printed in. Per the contract I received, we were meant to be paid on a percentage of net profits on January 1st, April 1st, July 1st, and October 1st, assuming that the sales were above a certain amount. The last time I got paid for this was on July 1st, 2023, so I'm presuming that the anthology at this point is completely out of print. Given the fact that their Twitter last updated back in March 2023 and their website shows much of the same, I think that this publisher might be defunct.

Bright side, as of writing, the rights for this story reverted back to me, so I can find a new home for it that's hopefully run a bit more professionally.