AW authors who are writing full-time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to say this is awesome. Ditto triple time to everything you said. If positive affirmations and an "I can do it!" attitude worked, I think we'd have tons of success stories based on that.

Instead we just have tons of people claiming that it works...

I don't write because I "believe in myself," I write because I love it - and I work tirelessly to squeeze some money out of that.

Not knocking the idea of believing in yourself - but it takes a hell of a lot more than that to make it.

Preemptive apologies for long reply...I have Thoughts on this topic.

I work full time as a writer/illustrator, and have for years now. There was a terrifying stretch when I was working as a freelance illustrator and my income was the only one coming in because my husband's company had gone under. It was hand-to-mouth in the worst way and I could work myself into a cold sweat even now, over a decade later, just by thinking how close to the edge I slid.

I did not get there--or where I am now--by positive affirmations, by knowing I had talent or believing in my dream. Actually I spent most of it thinking "I am a godawful talentless hack, so I will make my deadlines with time to spare and be really really pleasant to work with and maybe people will overlook how bad I am." (Turns out that many art directors will take those two over raw talent any day. This is the only career advice I have that is of use to anyone.)

There were a whole lot of grim hours and sweaty-palmed terror of starvation. My dream wasn't to make a living as X, it was to have enough money in the bank that I could go to the grocery store without adding up the totals in my head as I shopped. The main reason I didn't go get a real job was because I was making fractionally more as an illustrator than I would have at data entry.

If I was living the dream, then the dream was actually pretty awful to live through at that point. (It's a lot better now, but a lot of that was dumb luck and I will fight anyone who tells me it was hard work. I was there at the time, and dumb luck was a MASSIVE factor.)

It is great to tell people to believe in themselves. I hope people DO believe in themselves! I hope they believe that they have talent. I hope their path is easier than mine was.

But we're already in a field where people are going to barf their heart on the page and be rejected, criticized, and fail and fail and fail. That's just how writing WORKS. Even if you're wildly successful! And I think that we're being extremely cruel--with the best intentions!--to tell people that they just need to follow their dream and believe in themselves. Because when they fail--and the majority of us will fail--then it's not only "You're not a good writer" it's "You didn't want it enough." We smack 'em coming and going.

It reminds me of all those "Cure horrible diseases through positive thinking!" cures. Then when somebody DOESN'T get cured, not only do they have a horrible disease, they were just such a negative nellie that it's their own fault they didn't cure themselves. And that's a crappy thing to do to anybody.

tl;dr, We do people no favors by telling them that success mostly relies on attitude.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
There's the old "necessary but not sufficient" distinction, right? Peanut butter is necessary for a PB&J, but it's not sufficient.

A positive attitude and hard work is necessary for success as a writer, but it's not all you need.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
There's the old "necessary but not sufficient" distinction, right? Peanut butter is necessary for a PB&J, but it's not sufficient.

A positive attitude and hard work is necessary for success as a writer, but it's not all you need.

100% agree.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Actually I spent most of it thinking "I am a godawful talentless hack, so I will make my deadlines with time to spare and be really really pleasant to work with and maybe people will overlook how bad I am.".

Be easy to work with
Seriously talented
On time

Pick two of those three...

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Also (iirc) you live in an area that is fairly cheap to live in

Nor terribly. The oil industry drives prices up, especially property, but it's still not a patch on London and surrounding areas. But our expenses on our 1 bedroom flat are pretty low, and we live pretty modestly.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Nor terribly. The oil industry drives prices up, especially property,

Ah, had not thought of that! Was thinking of prices north of the border generally. We'd never be able to get a mortgage on a place here, now. A bed sit costs £100k....

ofc this does mean when we execute the Five Year Plan (sell up and move somewhere super cheap) we'll have some cash to play with so swings and roundabouts

Last edited:

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, had not thought of that! Was thinking of prices north of the border generally. We'd never be able to get a mortgage on a place here, now. A bed sit costs £100k....

ofc this does mean when we execute the Five Year Plan (sell up and move somewhere super cheap) we'll have some cash to play with so swings and roundabouts

We're toying with the idea of moving somewhere cheaper, since my job is wherever I have a laptop now. Maybe Glasgow, or live abroad a few years and come back.

I think Chuck Wendig mentioned it as a writer lifehack--try and live somewhere with cheaper living expenses, so the money stretches further. I keep thinking it must be hard for the writers in London, where rent can be £1500 or more per month for a closet-sized apartment.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very good points. This was why my husband and I made a deal that if I could make a part-time income out of writing while we were in Japan, I could continue writing part-time when we came back to the States. I couldn't work over there anyway, so he was going to be supporting me no matter what, but we both agreed I should take advantage of that period with a finite "if it doesn't work by X date, you're going back to a day job" deadline. (This was also serious motivation for me, as my previous day jobs had been miserable, and now there was a ticking clock to either succeed as a writer or go back to working in customer service.)

His support absolutely played a crucial role in me being able to become a full-time writer. We had actually agreed when we got married that if we ever had the means, I could take 6-12 months off and give it a shot (again with the understanding that if it didn't work out....day job). When he got the orders to Japan, he looked at me and said, "Well, you wanted a year to write. Now you get three."

It took just under a year to start making money (and holy Ned was that a year of tight purse strings!). Two to pull in a part-time income. Three to make a full-time income (which meant I didn't have to get another job when we came back to the States :hooray:), which doubled in year four and again in year five.

None of that would have happened without circumstances that required me to quit my job, a spouse who was willing and able to support me, and a firm deadline to make it happen.

(And you'd better believe I spoil that man rotten now...)

Yep, ITA it's all about consent, freely given.

Last edited:

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
I'm late on replying to this, but: AWESOME POST.

Loved it.

Preemptive apologies for long reply...I have Thoughts on this topic.

I work full time as a writer/illustrator, and have for years now. There was a terrifying stretch when I was working as a freelance illustrator and my income was the only one coming in because my husband's company had gone under. It was hand-to-mouth in the worst way and I could work myself into a cold sweat even now, over a decade later, just by thinking how close to the edge I slid.

I did not get there--or where I am now--by positive affirmations, by knowing I had talent or believing in my dream. Actually I spent most of it thinking "I am a godawful talentless hack, so I will make my deadlines with time to spare and be really really pleasant to work with and maybe people will overlook how bad I am." (Turns out that many art directors will take those two over raw talent any day. This is the only career advice I have that is of use to anyone.)

There were a whole lot of grim hours and sweaty-palmed terror of starvation. My dream wasn't to make a living as X, it was to have enough money in the bank that I could go to the grocery store without adding up the totals in my head as I shopped. The main reason I didn't go get a real job was because I was making fractionally more as an illustrator than I would have at data entry.

If I was living the dream, then the dream was actually pretty awful to live through at that point. (It's a lot better now, but a lot of that was dumb luck and I will fight anyone who tells me it was hard work. I was there at the time, and dumb luck was a MASSIVE factor.)

It is great to tell people to believe in themselves. I hope people DO believe in themselves! I hope they believe that they have talent. I hope their path is easier than mine was.

But we're already in a field where people are going to barf their heart on the page and be rejected, criticized, and fail and fail and fail. That's just how writing WORKS. Even if you're wildly successful! And I think that we're being extremely cruel--with the best intentions!--to tell people that they just need to follow their dream and believe in themselves. Because when they fail--and the majority of us will fail--then it's not only "You're not a good writer" it's "You didn't want it enough." We smack 'em coming and going.

It reminds me of all those "Cure horrible diseases through positive thinking!" cures. Then when somebody DOESN'T get cured, not only do they have a horrible disease, they were just such a negative nellie that it's their own fault they didn't cure themselves. And that's a crappy thing to do to anybody.

tl;dr, We do people no favors by telling them that success mostly relies on attitude.

Reaction score
Also wanted to add: at least in the romance ebook market, it's not unusual at all for authors to be extremely prolific. It's not necessarily *mandatory* in order to make a good living in this genre or format, but the majority of authors I personally know who are making 6 figures (or high 5 figures) are very prolific.

Romance ebook market is undoubtedly the #1 market for self-publishers right now.

Prolific readers who are early adopters of digital. Low ebook prices. 70% royalties means many full time writers.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Romance ebook market is undoubtedly the #1 market for self-publishers right now.

Prolific readers who are early adopters of digital. Low ebook prices. 70% royalties means many full time writers.

Absolutely. And not just self-publishers, either -- I've been doing this since 2008, making a full-time income since 2011, but didn't self-publish anything until the end of 2013. My backlist now is about 25% self-published (the majority of that being re-releases of books that I've pulled back from other publishers), with the rest mostly split between Samhain and Riptide Publishing.

Booklover199

Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing full-time for 3 months now. I feel like before I could always just take a break and work at something else to seek more inspiration, but now it's like writing and that's it. It's a little more daunting, but I get a lot more writing done.

Reaction score
That would have totes been a zinger if it had been aimed closer to my point.

maybe your point isn't funny? and it is in bad taste?

I bet romance runs second to the 'how to make a fortune from self-publishing' market.

Let's play along for a minute, can you give a link to such a book that promise the reader "how to make a fortune from self-publishing"?

if such a book exist, it would be similar to a book title "how you can make millions from the stock market"

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
maybe your point isn't funny? and it is in bad taste?
Maybe you should just let it go when the comment was made a month and a half ago?

ETA: Which is to say, I don't see the point of trying to argue with someone when you only show up here once every few months.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Closing thread. Thanks for your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.