choosing what to workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
You know it needs work. You feel stuck about how to improve it. You're in school to learn to write, and you think you're in a good group. So, yeah--workshop it.

I think this is a great approach. I remember putting up my two best stories right off the bat during the MFA, and getting solid responses. I was terrified to submit something less than perfect (and seeing as we had to submit every other week, most people didn't have an arsenal of 7-8 completely finished and perfect pieces). That meant you wrote them and revised in the time you had. One of my professors said "the rawer the better sometimes. You have to learn how to let others in the door . . ."

I kept that with me. I've gathered some great writing pals over the years who aren't afraid to share less-than-stellar work because they've reached a point where they are struggling. And they tell themselves, "It's okay to struggle right now, you have help."

And through those experiences, many writers I know have learned HOW to help themselves, HOW to let others see their less imperfect work. It's also about trust.

I wouldn't have done it in undergrad, no, because I was still a bit guarded, but my writing group (professional writers who have all been published--a few who are nationally acclaimed) has seen some pretty rough writing. They know not to make bullshit nitpick remarks about grammar or syntax issues that they know I'll get during a more intensive revision. They know how to see what a thing is trying to be and help me make it better.

I will reiterate that putting up good work isn't a bad thing. It's nice to know when you're close. Sometimes, you give people a manuscript that only needs some fine-tuning. Minimal revision. Other times, you pour it out from your gut, warts and all, and see what happens.

Anyway, again, good luck! It takes a lot of awareness to know when you're putting up good material only and why. I think it shows growth in admitting those things and wondering if there's a new way to try.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.