• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lowery Writing Services

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
Jayson Lowery
Lowery Writing Services

It looks like a scam to me, but I can't find anything bad about him, here or P&E or Writers Beware.

Just curious

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
spike, WB doesn't list all their information on their site. You need to e-mail them.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finding a mass media major in Henderson, but no "Lowery Writing Services".

Where did you hear about him? What services does he purport to offer? Why you think he's a scam?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
:e2zipped:

ETA: Aha! Found it on the NEPAT: http://www.lowerywriting.com/

So new, Google hasn't tagged it yet. Why should I avoid thee, let me count the ways....

Last edited:

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
he's hooked up with a PA author to write a screenplay off of her book.

'nuff said.

He's also trawling around trying to scoop up other PA authors. If it all works out to plan, he's gonna be the busiest screenwriter from Sea to shining Sea. But you've got to promise never to disclose the details of the contract he has you sign. I wonder why.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
spike said:
So I'm not having a paranoid delusion?

Does this guy sound like a scammmer?

Or should I ask my doc to up my meds?
I'd say your current dose is just fine. ;) Consider the opening skit. Even without the grammatical errors, it tells us that this guy doesn't have a clue and/or is deliberately targeting PA folks:

LWS said:
Lowery Writing Services is pleased to announce that it now
offers everything an author needs to promote their work. This
package includes:

Short Synopsis (Can be used for back of book or other marketing tools).
A cover blurb is not a synopsis, nor would a synopsis make a good cover blurb. Full stop.

Brochure Detailing the book and includes an Author Biography (great for bookstore pitches or speaking engagements).
Bookstore pitches? Does he mean signings or pitching to bookstores? I think we see where this is going....

Promotional Letter (Perfect for review queries and for getting your book in stores).
It is not the author's job to get reviews or put books in stores. It is not the author's responsibility to get reviews or put books in stores. It is not in the author's purview to get reviews or put books in stores. It is not the author's gig to get reviews or put books in stores. It is not within the author's scope of work to get reviews or put books in stores.

Advertising Copy (You don't have to write about yourself we will do it for you. Newspapers, Magazines, Radio Ads, we can do it all).
Such ads are next to useless and definitely a major expense. And not the author's job.

A complete professional experience where you will work one on one with a writer who wants you to succeed. After all we want your business again and again.
Notice he doesn't say "marketing professional" or some such...honesty, or Freudian slip?

Other options available.
I'll bet.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
spike said:
Jayson Lowery
Lowery Writing Services

It looks like a scam to me, but I can't find anything bad about him, here or P&E or Writers Beware.

Just curious
The problem shouldn't be: "I can't find anything bad about him". It should be: "I can't find anything good about him". The safest bet is to consider all agents and publishers fraudulent until proven legitimate.

But we're a new agency, they'll complain. So what. Even new agencies should have a trackable background in the industry either with an established agency or a reputable publisher. If they don't, then they are either a scam or clueless. Either way they're fraudulent because they're posing as an industry professional which is just not true. It takes more to being an agent than just calling yourself one.

ETA: I didn't read the original post very carefully. He's a "writing service" (whatever that is), not an agent. Still, the same principle applies. If he can't produce credentials, avoid him.

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
He might be a conscious scammer, but I doubt it.

I don't think his intentions matter. I've read the site. No way is that professional-quality copywriting. He could be as sincere as a puppy, but he'd still belong on the "not recommended" list.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Jayson's PA book was released June 2006. Looks like his writing service died soon after.