The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Lowery Writing Services

Lowery Writing Services

Jayson Lowery
    Lowery Writing Services

It looks like a scam to me, but I can't find anything bad about him, here or P&E or Writers Beware.

Just curious
    I should be writing. Now. I mean it.

Progress Report:
    Picture books (4): 52 rejections
    Short Stories/Poetry (7): 41 Rejections

SOLD! 3 poems to Highlights!

Looking for a writing group in eastern Pennsylvania? Click here!

Gone
    spike, WB doesn't list all their information on their site. You need to e-mail them.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

didn't know that.

Thanks

Progress Report:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    I'm finding a mass media major in Henderson, but no "Lowery Writing Services".

Where did you hear about him? What services does he purport to offer? Why you think he's a scam?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    he's hooked up with a PA author to write a screenplay off of her book.

'nuff said.

ETA: Aha! Found it on the NEPAT: http://www.lowerywriting.com/

So new, Google hasn't tagged it yet. Why should I avoid thee, let me count the ways....
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 04-04-2006 at 01:55 AM.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

So I'm not having a paranoid delusion?

Does this guy sound like a scammmer?

Or should I ask my doc to up my meds?

Progress Report:

In the Yellow Woods
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl Nantus
    he's hooked up with a PA author to write a screenplay off of her book.

'nuff said.
    He's also trawling around trying to scoop up other PA authors. If it all works out to plan, he's gonna be the busiest screenwriter from Sea to shining Sea. But you've got to promise never to disclose the details of the contract he has you sign. I wonder why.
    I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top.

Professor of English, Ohio University.

Pedantic Alert: The above is quotation #689 from Michael Moncur's (cynical) Quotations.

Quote Originally Posted by spike
    So I'm not having a paranoid delusion?

Does this guy sound like a scammmer?

Or should I ask my doc to up my meds?
    I'd say your current dose is just fine. Consider the opening skit. Even without the grammatical errors, it tells us that this guy doesn't have a clue and/or is deliberately targeting PA folks:

Quote Originally Posted by LWS
    Lowery Writing Services is pleased to announce that it now
    offers everything an author needs to promote their work. This
    package includes:

Short Synopsis (Can be used for back of book or other marketing tools).
    A cover blurb is not a synopsis, nor would a synopsis make a good cover blurb. Full stop.

Brochure Detailing the book and includes an Author Biography (great for bookstore pitches or speaking engagements).
    Bookstore pitches? Does he mean signings or pitching to bookstores? I think we see where this is going....

Promotional Letter (Perfect for review queries and for getting your book in stores).
    It is not the author's job to get reviews or put books in stores. It is not the author's responsibility to get reviews or put books in stores. It is not in the author's purview to get reviews or put books in stores. It is not the author's gig to get reviews or put books in stores. It is not within the author's scope of work to get reviews or put books in stores.

Advertising Copy (You don't have to write about yourself we will do it for you. Newspapers, Magazines, Radio Ads, we can do it all).
    Such ads are next to useless and definitely a major expense. And not the author's job.

A complete professional experience where you will work one on one with a writer who wants you to succeed. After all we want your business again and again.
    Notice he doesn't say "marketing professional" or some such...honesty, or Freudian slip?

Other options available.
    I'll bet.
    ICAO
    ---------

Moderator In Name Only AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spike
    Jayson Lowery
    Lowery Writing Services

It looks like a scam to me, but I can't find anything bad about him, here or P&E or Writers Beware.

Just curious
    The problem shouldn't be: "I can't find anything bad about him". It should be: "I can't find anything good about him". The safest bet is to consider all agents and publishers fraudulent until proven legitimate.

But we're a new agency, they'll complain. So what. Even new agencies should have a trackable background in the industry either with an established agency or a reputable publisher. If they don't, then they are either a scam or clueless. Either way they're fraudulent because they're posing as an industry professional which is just not true. It takes more to being an agent than just calling yourself one.

ETA: I didn't read the original post very carefully. He's a "writing service" (whatever that is), not an agent. Still, the same principle applies. If he can't produce credentials, avoid him.
    Last edited by Roger J Carlson; 04-04-2006 at 09:30 PM.
    --Roger J. Carlson

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    He might be a conscious scammer, but I doubt it.

I don't think his intentions matter. I've read the site. No way is that professional-quality copywriting. He could be as sincere as a puppy, but he'd still belong on the "not recommended" list.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Well, Jayson's PA book was released June 2006. Looks like his writing service died soon after.
    ICAO
    ---------