Uncertain on Genre. Help appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCthultist

Kept ya waiting, huh?
Registered
Reaction score
So I have been writing a collection of short stories concerning demons interacting with people, specifically focusing on Faustian-style deals, contracts, and the like set during modern times. Most of these are run in a very business-like fashion and, apart from one set entirely in Hell and one set in Abaddon, there isn't much in the way of fantasy-like settings or anything of that nature. At the same time, none of it is overtly religious either, with themes and tones being taken from Christian, Jewish, and Muslim theology but always in a background setting to the actual drama unfolding around the contracts themselves.

I started writing it specifically because I'd never heard of someone doing an anthology like it before, but at the same time it left me entirely uncertain of what genre it belongs in. A professor I discussed it with once just said to those it under science fiction and not worry about it, but I was hoping for something a little more specific than that... Or is that exactly where this belongs?

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no, no, no, no, no! :Wha: Science fiction is not the genre you're looking for. I'd say Urban Fantasy, since you're dealing with all this stuff like angels and demons and the like. If it were, say, vampires or other creatures like that, I'd call it Paranormal, but since it's demons in everyday world, Urban Fantasy seems more like it.

Science fiction doesn't apply here because, a) there's nothing science-y in your description, and b)well, what "a" just said. :tongue

TheCthultist

Kept ya waiting, huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. Haven't really had much experience with the term but the more I'm looking into Urban Fantasy is exactly what I was thinking of for this as well as a few other stories I was working on. Outside these boards I've never really heard it refered to as that, but yeah, that seems to be spot on! Thanks!
Scifi definitely didn't feel right for it but for the life of me I couldn't figure where it did fit.

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe it happens sometimes :tongue. We all have stories that rebel that way and are hard to pinpoint, so don't worry. ;) Glad I could be of help. :Hug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.