Oregon Governor Resigns

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
There's apparently been a ruckus over in Oregon for a while about Gov. John Kitzhabe, his fiance, and her company's dealings with the state, so he's stepping down.

Secretary of State Kate Brown is next in line according to Oregon's rules of succession.

She is openly bisexual, and will be the first such governor in US history.

http://mashable.com/2015/02/13/kate-brown-bisexual-governor/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link

Brown, who married her husband Dan in 2007 and has two stepchildren, wrote an essay about her bisexuality for Out and Elected in the USA, a collection documenting "pioneering" LGBT office holders in the years 1974-2004. It remains online here.

"In the discussions of LGBT issues, the 'B' has a tendency to be overlooked," writes Towelroad's Christian Walters of bisexuality's visibility problem on Friday. "Kate Brown [...] stands to give the bisexual community a major bump in visibility."

Thought this was pretty cool. Looking forward to the day when things like this aren't news any longer.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, she joins Kathleen Wynne of Ontario. Welcome to the club. The paint is still drying. :)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, she be taking that position by deault then. ;-P

Well, yeah. But if McCain had won with Palin, then died, then Palin would be the first female President. I wouldn't quibble over her starting off as the vice president.

...I'd...have other things to be concerned about, I think.

Way to go, Governor Brown! Hopefully she'll be as awesome as California's Brown!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Aside from the succession issue, which I knew nothing about, it's just one more disheartening example of how too many people in positions of political authority abuse that authority for personal gain. The recent list is long:

Kwame Kilpatrick (mayor of Detroit)
William Jefferson (congressman from New Orleans, Louisiana)
Duke Cunningham (congressman from southern California)
what's his name, I forget (governor of Virginia)
Edwin (Fast Eddie) Edwards (governor of Louisiana)
About a dozen governors of Illinois, from both major parties

. . . many many others, and many in positions of less public scrutiny.

What I doubt I'll ever be able to understand is whether these people sought such official power because they'd be able to use it to feather their own nests, or just got seduced by the opportunities once they got there. I suspect both things contribute to any individual case.

But I'm glad we catch at least some of 'em at it.

caw

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Well good for her! Didn't Margaret Thatcher have a start a bit like that? So she's the 2nd (known) LGBT person to make governor? Cool!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? Was Margaret Thatcher a U.S. State Governor?

caw

No, but she was another major first: the first female major party leader, in a dark horse rise to that position, too.

But yes, I'm comparing two female politicians on different continents, to be clear. I didn't know Thatcher needed to be clarified :D

I did make it sound like Maggie may have been bi, though, yeah! Dunno about that part!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
No, but she was another major first: the first female major party leader, in a dark horse rise to that position, too.

But yes, I'm comparing two female politicians on different continents, to be clear. I didn't know Thatcher needed to be clarified :D

I did make it sound like Maggie may have been bi, though, yeah! Dunno about that part!
You do realize Thatcher is the anti-christ, right? How can you sully this transcendent event by bringing her name into it? ;)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Prime ministers are a bit different from governors in terms of how they come into power. It is quite often you will find that a prime minister will resign in between elections in the Westminster system. In Canada, it is how Kim Campbell and Paul Martin became prime ministers.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Oregons only four term governor doesn't make it four whole terms. Oh well and good riddance.

Don't care about the personal stuff (that's not criminal anyway) but don't see any improvement on the political front. Miss living in Sandy, don't miss the stupid leadership in Salem.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Prime ministers are a bit different from governors in terms of how they come into power. It is quite often you will find that a prime minister will resign in between elections in the Westminster system. In Canada, it is how Kim Campbell and Paul Martin became prime ministers.

Yeah, it just came to my mind when folks acted a bit like it's lesser or something to rise without massive or extended campaigning for the final position.

Lots of folks wouldn't have been directly voted in without the immediate circumstances stacking unusual ways. Maggie's rise came after an unusual resignation because of the new party voting situation (imho), so she did get pretty lucky that way. She still won/earned it fair and square, of course.

I am so ignorant about Canadian politics! I'll look up your examples(how they came up).

You do realize Thatcher is the anti-christ, right? How can you sully this transcendent event by bringing her name into it? ;)

:D
I'll admit I respect a lot about her, but it's the whole 'female as major leader' kind of respect. She's the same as a man in the position, in other words. Not that she'd be my choice for a leader. Big difference!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently "serial-marrying" has joined "tree-hugger" as a pejorative term for the far right. :ROFL:

Meet The Corrupt, Serial-Marrying, Tree-Hugging Femme Fatale Who Brought Down Oregon’s Governor
By now, you may know that disgraced Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber, a Democrat, was brought low this week by a scandal concerning his fiancée’s dealings with green energy groups.

You may not be aware, however, of exactly the extent to which Kitzhaber’s fiancée, Cylvia Hayes, is a corrupt, serial-marrying tree-hugger with a background of scandals galore.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Heh, she joins Kathleen Wynne of Ontario. Welcome to the club. The paint is still drying. :)

Oh my God! She's openly bisexual?! I thought she was a lesbian.

mfoley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'd say good for the LGBT community, but it's actually just an example of what they still lack. The fact that her orientation has to be mentioned means that equality still isn't there.