Army Approves Mannings' Hormone Therapy

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WASHINGTON — In a first for the Army, Chelsea Manning, the convicted national-security secrets leaker, has been approved for hormone therapy for transition to a woman at the Army's Fort Leavenworth prison, according to a memo obtained Thursday by USA TODAY.

Manning remains a soldier as well as an inmate.
"After carefully considering the recommendation that (hormone treatment) is medically appropriate and necessary, and weighing all associated safety and security risks presented, I approve adding (hormone treatment) to Inmate Manning's treatment plan," Col. Erica Nelson, the commandant of the Fort Leavenworth Disciplinary Barracks in Kansas, wrote in a Feb. 5 memo.

Formerly named Bradley Manning, the soldier was convicted of sending classified documents to anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks. Manning is serving a 35-year prison sentence and is eligible for parole in about seven years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/02/12/chelsea-manning-hormone-therapy/23311813/

Great news for my pal Chelsea, good news for the army and society, bad news for those stuck in the past...

badwolf.usmc

#CustomUserTitle
Registered
Reaction score
I fail to see the good news in this, but sure, congrats to the hero of the republic manning for getting what she wants.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I fail to see the good news in this, but sure, congrats to the hero of the republic manning for getting what she wants.

Um...trans rights being recognized as human rights by the army is good news to some of us.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

Would you feel differently if she was getting treatment for, say, a heart attack whilst in jail? I don't see why gender dysphoria should be regarded any differently to any other health issue.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Thumbs: and hooray for Chelsea! I thought it showed awesome ovarios for her to announce her gender direction when she did, and pursue it.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not commenting on any type of rights, but the person in question, who I don't like.

Then you could see the good news as this decision ultimately helping other people, some of whom you might like. The broader implications of the decision.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'm not commenting on any type of rights, but the person in question, who I don't like.

You sort of are actually. Whether you like her or not, and clearly you don't, this has the potential for trickling down to other prisoners who identify as transgender as well. Right now the treatment of gender dysphoria in the prison system, both millitary and civilian is treated as optional. A choice if you will. But it is as valid as giving a diabetic their insulin, or an epileptic their medication. And to deny someone treatment, while it may seem just to you in this instance, is cruel.

badwolf.usmc

#CustomUserTitle
Registered
Reaction score
Then you could see the good news as this decision ultimately helping other people, some of whom you might like. The broader implications of the decision.

More rights for some people are more rights for all people.

You sort of are actually.

I can seperate the person from the issue. I don't like that Manning gets anything, period. If this helps other people who need the help then at least something good will come out of it.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I assume this is because she revealed evidence of American war crimes that our military and government wanted swept under the rug and hidden from the American public and the world? It's funny that the reason you don't like her and I do are exactly the same. Takes all kinds, as they say.

badwolf.usmc

#CustomUserTitle
Registered
Reaction score
I assume this is because she revealed evidence of American war crimes that our military and government wanted swept under the rug and hidden from the American public and the world? It's funny that the reason you don't like her and I do are exactly the same. Takes all kinds, as they say.

Yes, that is the exact reason.

#TwirlsEvilMustache

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Good. She deserves treatment just as anyone else with any other issue, condition, or whatever they or their doc feel they need treatment for.
Someone who exposes brutal mass murders should, in addition to that, get a walk-in closet annexed. No, wait. Someone who exposed mass murder to the people funding it, shouldn't be in prison to begin with, but we don't live in an ethical world so whatevs?

Anyway. Good news.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Private Manning deserves all appropriate medical treatment for an inmate... and a life sentence.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This is great news for...pretty much everyone.

Treatment of mental disorders (and yes, I think of body dysmorphia as a mental disorder, because it is caused by their brain being the wrong gender for their body...) could stand to be improved by a lot.

Just because your injury is inside and invisible doesn't mean it doesn't need treatment beyond, "Ehhh, suck it up."

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I heard someone complaining about "tax dollars" going to a "freak traitor." For every victory we have, a few more trogloldytes appear to remind us that we're still amidst a bit of push-back on these types of challenges.

Heck, if I could reallocate any of my taxes to helping Chelsea Manning, (away from other undesirable tax-funded projects), I'd be slap-happy to do so.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's good news for Chelsea Manning that she will get the hormone treatment she desires in prison and its equally good news she's still in prison where she belongs.