Nerdy characters, stereotypes, and appearances

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Looking at the books I really liked last year, I noticed many of them had one thing in common: nerds. Always a white male, always redheaded, freckled and glasses-wearing. Always very smart and interested on the usual nerdy stuff.

But each of the books twisted the stereotype in a different way. One was a prankster, another caused his own unpopularity, one expected to get beat up by a bully but ended up helping him instead...

So I was wondering if there are other descriptions that act as shorthand for a specific kind of character? The nerdy appearance is the most obvious one to me, but there are probably others. Also, when you're describing a character, do you emphasize stereotypical traits if you're going to subvert them?

(I want to make it clear that I love the nerd-twist books, so please don't think I'm bashing them by calling them stereotypical.)

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that girls with long-blond hair are expected to be superficial. And yes, I think it's great to describe someone a certain way and build reader's expectations than show the reader the character is something else. I think someone also wrote a book with a main character being Asian and struggling in school and saying it was awful because everyone expected him to be a genius.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Nerds at heart have no set shape, color or size. I am not a red-headed boy with glasses, for example.

Yeah, but the ones in books are. :p Or at least the main boy character is. The words used interests me, actually; the character is usually described as a nerd only if they fit the stereotype. Otherwise, they're called geeks, dorks, dweebs, misfits -- but not nerds. It's odd. Or maybe it's just the books that I've been reading.

I seem to remember a book where the brown-haired protag is called a nerd, but I haven't been successful in finding it yet.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
You haven't read my autobiography, which is understandable because I haven't written it yet. Nerds can also be popular and attractive, as I have experienced from the many nerds I have known. It is a state of mind, not a physical type. Sometimes, they are the cool kids, but maybe not officially until adulthood.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
You haven't read my autobiography, which is understandable because I haven't written it yet. Nerds can also be popular and attractive, as I have experienced from the many nerds I have known. It is a state of mind, not a physical type. Sometimes, they are the cool kids, but maybe not officially until adulthood.

Oh, now I get your point.

(Will your autobiography explain how you got the title of "Official Biscuiteer of NASCAR"? Because I'd really like to read that.)

Usher

Registered
Reaction score

That's my experience. When I got to university everyone else was trying to be "different" whereas I'd had years of practice and did it effortlessly.

I was a fairly pretty, female brunette (admittedly with glasses but they were never nerdy).

Harry Potter wasn't a redhead - his mate was.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say as the mother of a nerd that I wish I'd birthed my nerd about 10 years later... Apparently, it does get better.

Which is a good thing.

Just - kind of lateish.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
Nerds at heart have no set shape, color or size. I am not a red-headed boy with glasses, for example.

So true. I like trying to switch things up and make characters not be who the reader might take them as when they read their appearance...though I did write a red-headed nerdy girl with big glasses in one instance :tongue