Same Sex Marriage in Alabama - for now

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also I feel that the probate judges who are refusing to issue licenses on the basis of religion don't understand their job. They either need to follow the law or quit or be fired. IMO.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The Alabama Republican Party website has a piece written by the chairman that is nothing but a Christian defense of their state's marriage ban. A sample:

So, how is it that God’s truth can be turned on its head as the debate now rages in Alabama regarding the meaning of marriage? The answer is that we, as a society, have become our own god. We have made God in our image. But, God will not be mocked. The State of Alabama and the United States of America will reap God’s wrath if we embrace and condone things that are abhorrent to God, such as redefining marriage as anything other than a union between one man and one woman.

He's very happy that Ted Cruz is trying to pass the State Marriage Defense Act. Several Republicans join him as co-sponsors, including David Vitter. Because, you know, marriage is sacred and all that.

The Mobile hearing is in just over an hour, so I hope to have a positive update later.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting how the Bible allows for all sorts of marriages that are not between one man and one woman - or even one man, one woman, a concubine or two, and some slaves. I mean, actual straight-up plural marriages.

Sounds like he's trying to speak for God, IMO.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Interesting how the Bible allows for all sorts of marriages that are not between one man and one woman - or even one man, one woman, a concubine or two, and some slaves. I mean, actual straight-up plural marriages.

Sounds like he's trying to speak for God, IMO.

Some people have apparently set aside their differences on other matters and decided to concentrate on hating gay marriage.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...y-marriage_n_6613710.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

So true. Also funny that the people who are trying to ban same-sex marriage because of the Bible aren't trying to change our laws about divorce and remarriage. I get Matthew 19 quoted at me in opposition to marriage equality all the time, which is Jesus condemning divorce. Such a disconnect.

Judge Moore echoed these words on CNN today:

“I believe that marriage was defined by God,” Moore told CNN’s Chris Cuomo during a lengthy and heated interview. “Especially in Alabama we recognize that it’s a divine institution in our law.”

I'm sorry, but how do so many elected officials keep the job that includes an oath to uphold the Constitution after being this blatant? Every day I read about some legislator putting their religion into my our government.

I was going to start a different thread on that same theme, but maybe I should make a general thread as a catch-all for them.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the constitution forbids recognizing "a divine institution in our law."

It's weird, to me, that the political Right are the ones who talk most about keeping government small and being constitution-loving patriots, and also the ones who tend to be most in favor of going against the constitution when it suits them, especially on issues of individual choice.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know, right?! I don't understand why people get so uptight about it or how they draw some of their conclusions. THey say marriage has been the same for thousands of years but it hasn't. They say next will come incest which is absurd on its face and I can't for the life of me see how they get from same sex marriage to incest. Biblical marriage included multi-wife households, and Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because there was nothing and no one worth redeeming, not because of homosexuality. and if you are going to cite Leviticus you better not eat pork, if you are woman you best cover your head, and don't forget to make a separate room in the temple for women.

I heard Roy Moore on the TV this morning talking about destroyed values and that he's looking out for families. BullSh*t. This court ruling came about because a woman was trying to adopt her spouse's child. They were married in another state but an Alabama state court denied her request stating they did not recognize their marriage. So they appealed in federal court. So how is he helping families when this family is not whole? I guess he would say it is wrong for a kid to have two moms so that's how he is helping. I am so angry that he got re-elected. The vote was split 3 ways in the primary. If there had only been one other candidate I don't think he would have won, and now he's making Alabama look bad to the rest of the country. I'm surrounded by people who are open and posting #lovewins and supporting this but the face of Alabama is that idiot.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The hearing's over and Judge Granade promised to rule "soon," but she didn't rule from the bench and I don't know what "soon" means. I'm following.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, Sass. As a Texan, I know better than to see idiots like this as "the face of" their state, and I know there's a lot of others that feel the same.

I mean... we Texans have Louie Gohmert. (Hides face in shame)

But they do get elected, somehow, and that's discouraging.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard Roy Moore on the TV this morning talking about destroyed values and that he's looking out for families. BullSh*t. This court ruling came about because a woman was trying to adopt her spouse's child. They were married in another state but an Alabama state court denied her request stating they did not recognize their marriage. So they appealed in federal court. So how is he helping families when this family is not whole?
He's protecting families like his: white, conservative, and Christian.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gary Palmer our new representative said on the radio that making same sex marriage legal is going to change our culture. BUt on Monday, the first day it was legal, we had ppl lining up to get married, which says to me we already have this in our culture. The only thing it is going to change is providing rights and protections to everyone. I just don't get the fear and hang ups about this.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Reading updates from those who were in the courtroom, it looks like the attorney for Judge Davis, Mobile County probate judge, took no position and simply asked for clarification, and the ACLU asked for a broad ruling. I can't see that anyone was arguing against issuing licenses to same-sex couples.

Here's one update:

Does Roy Moore even have the authority to exercise his duties - including issuing an administrative order - while an ethics complaint remains pending? Attorney Christine Hernandez agues that he does not, and she cites an Attorney General's opinion from the Ten Commandments case as evidence.

I love that his prior overreach is being used against him and I would love Judge Granade to smack him down in her ruling.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
U.S. Judge Orders Alabama Official to Issue Same-Sex Marriage License

So Mobile is a go, but Granade didn't give the broad order the ACLU asked for and and only ordered Judge Davis to comply. The other judges should, but it remains to be seen. I hope tomorrow all couples--straight or gay--who want to get marriage licenses and/or be married in their home counties can, but I wouldn't bet on all counties issuing licenses tomorrow.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Tangentially related: does anyone have a list of denominations that allow their clergy to perform same-sex marriages? Obviously the Catholics don't, and I assume Lutherans don't either. I know Nazarenes won't either.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Presbyterian Church (USA) is headed that way:
http://www.religionnews.com/2014/06/19/presbyterians-vote-allow-gay-marriage/
(RNS) The Presbyterian Church (USA) voted Thursday (June 19) to allow gay and lesbian weddings within the church, making it among the largest Christian denominations to take an embracing step toward same-sex marriage.
By a 61-39 percent vote, the General Assembly of the 1.8 million-member PCUSA voted to allow pastors to perform gay marriages in states where they are legal. Delegates, meeting in Detroit this week, also approved new language about marriage in the church’s Book of Order, or constitution, altering references to “a man and woman” to “two persons.”
This change will not become church law until a majority of the 172 regional presbyteries vote to ratify the new language. But given the lopsided vote, approval is expected.

The United Methodist church does not currently but change may be coming there too:
http://www.ibtimes.com/united-methodist-church-moves-allow-lgbt-clergy-gay-marriage-1814812
Gay clergy and same-sex marriage may be allowed at United Methodist Churches thanks to a proposal drafted by the Connectional Table, a respected international body of clergy members and lay people in the church. On Tuesday, the committee affirmed the proposal to remove church legislation that punishes clergy for being “self-avowed practicing homosexuals” or officiating gay weddings, the United Methodist Church News Service reported.
This was not a formal vote; the committee will reconvene in May, when the proposal will be held to an actual vote. If passed, clergy members would not face punishment, church trials or be defrocked if they officiated same-sex weddings or came out as gay.