Presenting a Book for Publishing Option

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! :) So, the publishing option date on my contract is approaching. I have to submit either a synopsis or some sample pages (I'm giving a synopsis) of my next work.

The problem is, I'm pretty sure my next work won't really be suitable for this company. It's a romantic thriller with some gruesome elements, and all of their other books appear to be light and happy (so is my other book they are currently publishing.) I've already warned them that I don't have anything like my first book, and they said that was okay, just to remind them when I submitted that it was something different.

I'm kind of just wondering how to word my email to them so it doesn't seem negative? Do I even need to explain why it isn't like my first book, or is simply stating that it's a romantic thriller enough? I feel weird submitting it when it seems so off, but it's in my contract and I don't have any other lighthearted romances.

Appreciate any advice. I always overthink these things. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they would be open to publishing something like this. That's why I want to sell it best I can.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
All you have to do is say that the book they've published is in X genre, but the book you're currently working on is in Y genre, and contains elements of Z.

I've not heard of a "publishing option" being used in this way before, nor of there being a deadline for it.

It sounds as though your book is not yet finished, and the publisher might sign it without seeing it all. Have I got this right? If you have a deal where a publisher has the right of first refusal they usually only get to see it once it's finished.

I'd welcome a little clarification.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps it's supposed to be finished, it really didn't say. It said that the writer "must submit either a sample page or a synopsis of his or her next work by [date]. Publisher will give response within two months."

I was freaking out because this was my first book that's getting published, and I hadn't written anything else, and the due date was only a few months away when I signed the contract. I don't know if they just assume most writers don't get published til they've written tons of books or what. But I had nothing else. So, I've been scrambling since December to get a draft of my next book as well as a synopsis. I told them that I was just getting started on this story, and they said "That's okay, just show us whatever you're working on." So yes, they may possibly sign it without it being done.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
And, if they reject it...what then. Will they expect you to deliver a manuscript on a certain deadline anyway? Will you have to give back part of the advance if you fail to deliver?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
And, if they reject it...what then. Will they expect you to deliver a manuscript on a certain deadline anyway? Will you have to give back part of the advance if you fail to deliver?

If you sign a contract agreeing to deliver a specific work on a given date and then you don't, then yep. You usually have to pay your advance back. (If it's the second in a two-book deal then you pay a portion of the advance back, usually.)

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get any sort of advance, so no worries there.

It's not really a promise to deliver a certain book. I just legally have to show them the next project I have so they have first dibs on it if they want it. If they don't want it, there's nothing left to do and I'm free to move on to whatever agent/publisher I want to pursue next.

You pretty much answered my question with
All you have to do is say that the book they've published is in X genre, but the book you're currently working on is in Y genre, and contains elements of Z.
So thank you. :)