Your Top 10

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
I love can't buy a thrill (change of the guard!) but I love countdown to ecstasy (my old school) and two against nature (cousin dupree!) too. Hard to pick just one!!! Such a fantastic line up! (seeing your reference to can't buy...I had to throw on my old school!)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I love can't buy a thrill (change of the guard!) but I love countdown to ecstasy (my old school) and two against nature (cousin dupree!) too. Hard to pick just one!!! Such a fantastic line up! (seeing your reference to can't buy...I had to throw on my old school!)

California, tumbles into the sea, that'll be the day I go back to Annandale...

Brooklyn Owes the Charmer I heard the story of this song. When a couple of Dan were living in Brooklyn they used to hang with a neighbor who lived beneath their unit, and who was always complaining that life hadn't done him right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCGiG4rgx5I

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant
Simon and Garfunkel
Ray Charles
Goo Goo Dolls
Ozzy
Rolling Stones
Flight of the Conchords
Fleetwood Mac
Motorhead
Nickleback.

I need a separate list for Christmas music, which I love. That includes:
Andy Williams
Tony Bennet
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Martina McBride
Dean Martin

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
A top ten is almost impossible for me. So many great ones I have to leave off that I could easily put on here tomorrow.

Yeah, keep 'em coming, Axl. For every one on my list there are probably five more I wouldn't want to do without. Hendrix and The Beatles from your list for example. I could have also added S&G and Led Zeppelin and Ray Charles from C. Bronco's list as well. Voo Doo Child is one of my favorites from Jimmie. Just imagine what he could have done. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAMM2Wg3DW8&list=RDDzAx_w9XoC0&index=5

I think my two favorite Beatle albums are Rubber Soul and Revolver, which I've heard, I think Harrison say were really like one album. That era marked a transition for them, I think. 'Course, when was there ever a time when The Beatles weren't transitioning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBpRCkWE9dA

Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant
Simon and Garfunkel
Ray Charles
Goo Goo Dolls
Ozzy
Rolling Stones
Flight of the Conchords
Fleetwood Mac
Motorhead
Nickleback.

I need a separate list for Christmas music, which I love. That includes:
Andy Williams
Tony Bennet
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Martina McBride
Dean Martin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NaQZojWi6U&list=RD9NaQZojWi6U#t=1

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Taking a hint from Axl Prose (that's a pretty great username, isn't it?) I'll add a few more of my favorites, other than the few that I mentioned above:

Stan Getz
Bill Evans
Marvin Gaye
Elton John
John Coltrane
Aretha Franklin
Credence
Tom Petty
Sheryl Crow
The Eagles

It's Good To Be King https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SF1iLXSQto

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
^^^^Aretha, Tom Petty, CCR, Marvin Gaye. Some of those you guys just named are all time greats.

I think my two favorite Beatle albums are Rubber Soul and Revolver, which I've heard, I think Harrison say were really like one album. That era marked a transition for them, I think. 'Course, when was there ever a time when The Beatles weren't transitioning?

Both great albums. I'm really hip on Revolver, one of my favorites. See, that transitioning thing you're talking about, that's one of the huge changes they brought to the table. Before them it was ok to put out the same sounding stuff over and over. After them, if you were a band and wanted to be taken serious, you had to evolve. You couldn't just say hey this worked last album let's just keep doing that. No, have you heard what The Beatles have done on their last two albums? Go back to the studio and regroup homie.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, they even had that effect on Brian Wilson, right? And then he came back with what? Was it Pet Sounds? Even after the other bands figured out you had to evolve, I'm not sure anyone ever did it as good as they did.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
And look what happened with Pet Sounds, it's considered their masterpiece. They had to move forward. And you are exactly right, I don't think any band has evolved the way The Beatles did. Start from the beginning with stuff like, I Wanna Hold You Hand, then on to Yesterday, to Back in the USSR to Come Together. It's pretty astounding really the progress they made in what, a little over 5 years.

A few others I left off my list that deserve mention...

Red Hot Chili Peppers (going back to the Beatles, these boys have evolved greatly since they came out)
Eminem (a song you need to sing while standing on a podium that raises you up from underneath the stage with smoke everywhere and a fist in the air)
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Elvis
The Doors

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, really. A big part of it was the dynamic between John and Paul. John, and I love him, was manipulative in a way with Paul, but for his own good, and for the good of the band. I think John sniffed it right away that this was a special musician.

One of the things about Pop music too, is I think it's freeing. Not that they couldn't rock. But they weren't confined by genre at all. They could do whatever they wanted to, and look at all the different kinds of stuff they did. It's really incredible.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Did someone say Elvis ...

Absolute god of an artist. I need to be slapped for leaving him off my first list.

The thing with Elvis, and this is more for the kiddos out there, you have to get past the whole, King of Rock n Roll-thank ya thank ya very much, persona that we're all use to seeing.

When you push that aside and dig into his music, not only is he great but he literally has music for everybody. Swingin rock n roll, love ballads, the blues, soul, country. He seriously could do it all and do it all well. Not many artists ever can pull off all of those as great and sincerely as he did.

And look at the pic in that link, dude invented swagger.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Axl. Yeah, Tupac is one of the ones I've liked. I know the first two very well, listening to "My Block" right now. It might be a funny thing to admit on a writing board but as poetic as the lyrics can be, to me melody is king. Why I like Motown and the Standards so much. Again, this is often a question of exposure. I can't like or dislike what I haven't heard. Tupac is one whose stuff I often liked. But my exposure is limited at best.

It's like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under

Goin' old school...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMkEMCHtJ4

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Top 10 (overall)

1. Santana (pre-Supernatural. Post-Supernatural Santana sucks ass.)
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Stevie Wonder
4. Annie Lennox
5. The Clash
6. Prince
7. Miles Davis
8. Keiko Matsui
9. Metallica
10. Sade

(Close, but didn't make the cut: Earth, Wind & Fire, Public Enemy, Funkadelic, Jimi Hendrix, Ministry, Van Halen, Barbra Streisand, Aretha Franklin, Al Jarreau, Weather Report, Hiromi, George Duke, Pink Floyd, Tony Williams, Billy Joel, Korn, The Beatles, Elton John, Everything But the Girl, The Rolling Stones, Oleta Adams, Donny Hathaway, Steely Dan, Garbage, Yes, Marvin Gaye)

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Top 10 (overall)

1. Santana (pre-Supernatural. Post-Supernatural Santana sucks ass.)
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Stevie Wonder
4. Annie Lennox
5. The Clash
6. Prince
7. Miles Davis
8. Keiko Matsui
9. Metallica
10. Sade

(Close, but didn't make the cut: Earth, Wind & Fire, Public Enemy, Funkadelic, Jimi Hendrix, Ministry, Van Halen, Barbra Streisand, Aretha Franklin, Al Jarreau, Weather Report, Hiromi, George Duke, Pink Floyd, Tony Williams, Billy Joel, Korn, The Beatles, Elton John, Everything But the Girl, The Rolling Stones, Oleta Adams, Donny Hathaway, Steely Dan, Garbage, Yes, Marvin Gaye)

Some great ones, Nighttimer. Sade, Led, Prince, etc.

I think Streisand is one of the most naturally gifted singers I've ever heard. But her taste, to me, is usually a little on the square side. But she did an album, trying to remember... Simply Streisand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTM8HZsw_Zo