What a long, strange trip it's been....

hendersonl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. My name is Lamar Henderson. I'm writing to you now from snowy Columbia, Missouri.

I've been writing stories pretty much since I learned to write. For quite some time, though, the dreaded Real Life has interfered with writing. A couple of years ago, I sat myself down and decided to get serious about my work.

Currently, I'm shopping around a mystery novel that I've been working on and off with since the first draft sprang out in 1998. As it happens, this is a novel that has already been accepted by two different publishers. The first one just sort of stopped responding to my emails. The second one — well, that's a story shared elsewhere on this site. So, now, I'm looking for a third publisher to say yes, and maybe this time it will stick.

Although my current book is a mystery, I'm actually more inclined to work in science fiction, fantasy and horror. It's just that those genres are harder to craft, for some reason; my first fantasy novel took me seven years to finish.

So, I'm here to meet other writers, check out whatever information anyone wants to share to help me along, and share whatever of value that I've learned with anyone interested.

Thanks.

NeglectedSpace

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to "meet" you. I hear the first couple experiences with publishers/agents might be iffy, to use a broad word! Wishing you luck!

GBin13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smashwords.com
Welcome Lamar. I can see your point in working for that long on a novel. I too have started one but after 6 years or so, have yet to finish it: life gets in the way.

What I have done, until life accords me some more space, is to 'park' first extracts of the novel on 'smashwords. That way you have the idea published and thus copyrighted and you can work on it as time permits.
A writer's life is more than a simple balancing act - have a safety net !
Good luck, GB

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Lamar.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
Welcome and good luck. For my own work, I'm largely considering self-publishing to build up a reputation before I try shopping anything around to a publisher (for fiction, at least; I already have a publisher in mind for my non-fiction). Not sure if that fits your situation but if you haven't thought about it, it's definitely worth considering.

Callegro

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the book!

There is plenty of information on publishing here. Good luck on getting it published, since you already have had two interest parties, I am sure it is just a matter of time till you get your work out there.

Welcome to the Cooler!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... unlike Garcia, you don't drop acid.
But you do have talent alike to him to be sure.

Welcome !