Harper Lee to publish sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm like the only person who didn't like To Kill a Mockingbird. And I disliked The Great Gatsby even more. Come to think of it, I don't think I enjoyed any of the classics we had to read in school. I absolutely did not like Romeo and Juliet. Wait, wait! I did like Taming of the Shrew. Oh! Oh! And Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. :D

We didn't have to read Gatsby in school, but I recently tried to read it.

Why can't I get into it? :(

*end derail*

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That really doesn't bother me as it might others because Harper Lee. I want to read it and have it as the companion to Mockingbird; the fact that it's being released unedited only increases my interest.

Same here. It increases my interest. Raw from the original source! What a treasure! Even if flawed because of that, it's a treasure.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
To Kill a Mockinbird is one of those books that I picked up and had to keep reading until I finished.

I do have fears, though, about this book not living up to expectations. Definitely curious!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Worth leaving these links here:

The heartbreaking story of how Harper Lee was allegedly robbed of the copyright to her iconic novel - Business Insider

and this:

Tonja Carter, Harper Lee's attorney since Alice Lee retired at the age of 100, acknowledges that the author—who was left forgetful and nearly blind and deaf after a stroke in 2007—often doesn't understand the contracts that she signs. "Lee has a history of signing whatever's put in front of her, apparently sometimes with Carter's advice," Gawker reported last July.
- Jezebel

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm like the only person who didn't like To Kill a Mockingbird. And I disliked The Great Gatsby even more. Come to think of it, I don't think I enjoyed any of the classics we had to read in school. I absolutely did not like Romeo and Juliet. Wait, wait! I did like Taming of the Shrew. Oh! Oh! And Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. :D

I don't like Gatsby - I wasn't ever assigned that either, read it as an adult. Like, I get it, I get why people like it, but it's like Picasso to me. I see why it was a landmark-type thing, but I think the characters are terrible and it's obvious and blah. I get why Picasso is famous, but most of his stuff is just ugly, and not in an interesting way, to me.

I do love Twain (also never assigned, but introduced to as a child), and Shakespeare (we did do tons in school - flove).

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
To those saying they haven't read TKaM and thinking that perhaps you should -- Do.

It's not one of those classics that, in the words of Mark Twain, "Everyone wants to have read, but nobody wants to read". It's just a damn good book.

Edit -- oops, didn't see there was a second page of comments.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... or just watch the movie. As awesome as the book was the movie staring Peck was even better !

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I should have read To Kill a Mockingbird, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure we ever did.

In any case, I'm ordering the paperback now and looking forward to reading both.

I know it was assigned to me in grade 10 but could never get past the first chapter. I just mimed my way through the unit, getting a decent enough mark to pass English 10. Never really returned to it to see if more mature eyes would find it more agreeable.

On the flipside, I found The Great Gatsby a very enjoyable read in grade 11.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be suspicious of the new Harper Lee novel.

Sadly, this news is not without controversy or complications. Harper Lee's sister Alice Lee, who ferociously protected Harper Lee's estate (and person) from unwanted outside attention as a lawyer and advocate for decades, passed away late last year, leaving the intensely private author (who herself is reportedly in ill health) vulnerable to people who may not have her best interests at heart.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I am also suspicious, but maybe I'm just a grumpy old fogey. For one, is she really senile? I have not followed her life story. The explanation just sounds unbelievable. Like a plot a novelist would write. I just can't believe that a manuscript, which was apparently submitted to, and accepted by, the publisher way back when, could have remained secret, lost and forgotten all these years. What editor forgets about an accepted ms after s/he has suggested another book based on it? What author forgets her first novel, after its prequel becomes one of the biggest bestsellers of all time?

Colour me sceptical. What I think could have happened in that the publisher appointed a ghost writer to write it in her name. This happens all the time with famous writers, though usually posthumously. If she is really senile all kinds of things could be said and done in her name, for the sake of Mammon; but obviously, they couldn't have her writing a sequel now, with all the rumours of senility. So they just backdate it and come up with the secret-hidden-ms story that author and editor forgot about entirely, instead of, you know, looking for it once tkamb became a success. But yes, I'm just a grumpy old fogey with a dirty mind.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I heard this today on the radio. Pretty cool that she found a copy of the original manuscript.

I always thought it was odd she never attempted to rewrite it after it was lost and never wrote anything else. One hit wonders of her caliber seem to be very rare in literature (even writers who have just one great masterpiece usually have a bunch of "lesser" work floating around).

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I am also suspicious, but maybe I'm just a grumpy old fogey. For one, is she really senile? I have not followed her life story. The explanation just sounds unbelievable. Like a plot a novelist would write. I just can't believe that a manuscript, which was apparently submitted to, and accepted by, the publisher way back when, could have remained secret, lost and forgotten all these years. What editor forgets about an accepted ms after s/he has suggested another book based on it? What author forgets her first novel, after its prequel becomes one of the biggest bestsellers of all time?

Colour me sceptical. What I think could have happened in that the publisher appointed a ghost writer to write it in her name. This happens all the time with famous writers, though usually posthumously. If she is really senile all kinds of things could be said and done in her name, for the sake of Mammon; but obviously, they couldn't have her writing a sequel now, with all the rumours of senility. So they just backdate it and come up with the secret-hidden-ms story that author and editor forgot about entirely, instead of, you know, looking for it once tkamb became a success. But yes, I'm just a grumpy old fogey with a dirty mind.

This was pretty much my thought as well, particularly when you add in the rumors throughout the years that Lee never really wrote it, that Capote did and they put her name on it.

Do I want to believe? Yes but I'm...skeptical...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Good or bad, it's about guaranteed to be an enormous best seller. And equally guaranteed to be trashed by some critics who need attention, regardless of their actual acumen at literary critique.

This event is not without precedent. Google "Henry Ross".

caw

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
This was pretty much my thought as well, particularly when you add in the rumors throughout the years that Lee never really wrote it, that Capote did and they put her name on it.

Do I want to believe? Yes but I'm...skeptical...

I find the whole thing implausible. It's just too convenient, too neat. Forgotten ms turning up 60 years later. Yes, yes.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
OK, I take it back. Read this somewhere else:
There is documented evidence that this book was written on the typewriter she used all those years ago. No one is going to publish anything that looks like a hoax. They have credible documentation.

I really am a nasty old git.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the vultures exploiting this poor old woman are despicable.

Yes, and even so, I hope that won't be the case here.

Good or bad, it's about guaranteed to be an enormous best seller. And equally guaranteed to be trashed by some critics who need attention, regardless of their actual acumen at literary critique.

This event is not without precedent. Google "Henry Ross".

caw

I did and found something about a Canadian gold miner, and a bunch of other fellows? (Maybe I need to check my google settings.)

I think it's probably inevitable though. it doesn't sound as if she's up to working on revisions. I'd expect nothing but correcting typos in it. I personally think it will be more interesting to read it without it having been edited in the shadow of To Kill a Mockingbird.

I agree. I hope there is no exploitation of her or manipulation of her intentions in any way. I expect questions about the genuineness of the manuscript, and what Harper Lee really wanted and intended, will continue. I still want to read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.