Not open for further replies.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
I noticed that there are a number of ads at the top of my page that slipped through my AdBlock, so I pulled up the location of the images and it looks like they're being served locally, which is a good way to avoid AdBlock. I'm totally cool with that, so long as you're just serving images. I run AdBlock more for protection against drive-bys than because I hate ads. Do you ever intend to allow more than just image ads, though? I only ask because Flash ads are known for being potential threat vectors.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can block those ads, too, if you choose to. But if you block everything on the page, rather than selective blocking, you may block icons and logos. Poor Adblock can't tell 'em apart.

Maryn, who likes it ad-free

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
You can block those ads, too, if you choose to. But if you block everything on the page, rather than selective blocking, you may block icons and logos. Poor Adblock can't tell 'em apart.

Maryn, who likes it ad-free

Yeah, I'd definitely need to be selective if I started blocking things from the AW domain itself. I'm fine with seeing the ads if they stick with just image ads, though.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me, too, mostly. But sometimes there's one that's too eye-grabby and I have to block it, then I start blocking 'em all because I'm in block mode. Or having a block party. Something.

Maryn, who makes sure AW gets other revenue streams instead

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Just turned if off on AW. Oops.

I got it because there's some site I go to that has autoplay video ads. I turn it off, when I remember, on pages I visit a lot that I like that don't do that shit.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Hey man. Is there any chance you could leave them up? Every view of the ad generates money and helps keeps AW open.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
Hey man. Is there any chance you could leave them up? Every view of the ad generates money and helps keeps AW open.

I have. (I assume you're referring to me, since you replied directly to my post.) I was just letting the site operators know that I would be less likely to allow the ads to remain unblocked if they were anything but plain image ads, and I imagine there are others who'd do likewise.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We do not serve Flash ads. Most of the ads are served locally by AW itself. Only three are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.