Thoughts on Self-Publishing Vs. Trade Publishing

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This question comes up a lot so here's what I think. Feel free to add or subtract.

Agents and small presses rejecting a book because it's poorly written is obviously not a good reason to self-publish it. Of course the writer is often the last one to realize that it's poorly written. However, one clue would be if no other eyes have been on it but the writer's or if the critiques have been "social" level only, such as friends and family. Another clue is if it's the first draft. :/

On the other hand, I don't think the pat answer "Always start with agents, then small presses" always makes much sense either. I'd consider each book individually. Sometimes it makes sense to not spend a lot of (or any) time and energy pursuing agent after agent or the same with the larger small presses.

Clues would be if it's a narrow or regional topic or one that otherwise has a small audience. You can often get a good idea of this by searching Amazon for similar books. If they're all self-published (or published by micro-presses, which often amounts to about the same thing), then that tells you something. I'd include here nonfiction topics that are on the big publishers' lists but only from authors with either advanced credentials or huge followings (celebrities can probably write about anything they want and have it snapped up, I guess). If you don't have either of those but still believe you have something to say (after researching what else is out there, naturally) then it might make sense to self-publish.

It doesn't hurt to try the agents and larger small presses when in doubt. Advances, marketing budgets and giant established distribution channels are hard to argue with. But when every indication is that it's not likely, I might not bother with it.

That's my two cents. Anything else?

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Does anyone say that every author should always start with agents and then small presses?

I didn't do that, I have never submitted to an agent. And I have never felt a sniff of being judged for that.

I think every book is different, and so are every author's goals. So every choice will be the right choice for some situations.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone say that every author should always start with agents and then small presses?

I've heard that advice over and over again, in various places. Not after things are published but when an unpublished writer asks about it.

Last edited:

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you brought this up. I'm going through the exact same issue. Based on all the advice I've been given and have researched myself, once the novel is done and ready for market, I am going to research literary agents who know I would like options to self-publish if my novels don't fit in well with the audiences publishers have attracted. I'm also going to self-publish anyway. And I intend to do as much as I can so I slowly (but surely) gain a readership. When I do have a novel that looks promising for a publisher, then at least I can bring to the table a body of work that has (hopefully) sold well enough to convince them I'm worth their time and money.

Of course nothing is set in stone. But all I can do right now is write well and write often and share that work with people that matter... and honestly none of them are my family and friends.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've heard that advice over and over again, in various places. Not after things are published but when an unpublished writer asks about it.

I don't doubt you; but the way I've heard it phrased is that if you are interested in working with an agent, don't sub to agents and publishers at the same time, because that can muddy things if you end up with an agent who wants to sub to the same publishers.

Me? I gave myself six months to look for an agent, and planned to self-publish if I didn't find a match. I've heard from many authors that the hybrid plan - a little of both, as Lhowling is planning - is a great idea if you can make it work.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

It's good advice if one wants to trade publish. It's not the way to determine how you should publish. In many cases, self-publishing is the best way to go.

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm going through the exact same issue. Based on all the advice I've been given and have researched myself, once the novel is done and ready for market, I am going to research literary agents who know I would like options to self-publish if my novels don't fit in well with the audiences publishers have attracted. I'm also going to self-publish anyway.

Just in case you mean you're going to self publish and look for an agent or publishing deal for that same book, don't!

(I realise this might not be what you meant, but it's worth issuing a warning, I think.)

If you want a trade publishing contract, pursue it. Don't self publish in the hope of making a few sales while you look for that contract. A publisher is going to prefer an unpublished book.

And I intend to do as much as I can so I slowly (but surely) gain a readership. When I do have a novel that looks promising for a publisher, then at least I can bring to the table a body of work that has (hopefully) sold well enough to convince them I'm worth their time and money.

The problem is that without access to professional editing, production, sales and marketing efforts, your sales are not likely to be good enough to convince big publishers of your worth--you might actually put them off with this tactic. And even if you do make lots of sales, it won't make them want to publish you if they don't like your books. All that you need to have to convince them that you're worth their time and money is a great book.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Just in case you mean you're going to self publish and look for an agent or publishing deal for that same book, don't!

(I realise this might not be what you meant, but it's worth issuing a warning, I think.)

If you want a trade publishing contract, pursue it. Don't self publish in the hope of making a few sales while you look for that contract. A publisher is going to prefer an unpublished book.

The problem is that without access to professional editing, production, sales and marketing efforts, your sales are not likely to be good enough to convince big publishers of your worth--you might actually put them off with this tactic. And even if you do make lots of sales, it won't make them want to publish you if they don't like your books. All that you need to have to convince them that you're worth their time and money is a great book.

Thank you. You're right! And I will keep this in mind moving forward.

Oh! Yeah and I wasn't going to query an qgent for a book that I intended to self-publish anyway. I know for sure that it's a big no-no.

As much I've researched and all, I know I still have so much to learn. But I enjoy the process, as frustrating as it can be sometimes.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

I had forgotten this nuance. The authors I know who have been successful with hybrid were, AFAIK, trade first. My intention was to say that it doesn't have to be an either/or choice, depending on the author's goals and approach (which I know most people here already know). Apologies for offerring fuzzy anecdotes as data.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the advice only becomes that pointlessly absolute when it goes through an echo chamber of people unaware of the nuances of the real word. I generally feel that I have experienced little to no criticism for my strategy of predominantly e-publishing my novellas with self- and mixed model publishing of selected other works, oh and an academic textbook with Wiley. Horses for courses. If you have a sensible strategy other experienced authors tend to see and accept that.

Jackx

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
"Always start with agents, then small presses"

I've never heard this advice, and I wouldn't suggest following it. You should always aim for the top and work your way down to the small press and/or self publishing. Of course it all depends on your goals, but you never know what will happen. Maybe you'll get lucky.