Ms. Marvel vs. a Big Bus of Hate

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-...sco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane

Apparently, an organization dedicated to the hatred of Islam has shelled out the cash for bus adds in San Francisco. I'm not sure why the buses would agree to run the ads, but they're there.

Anyway, someone came up with a novel (or should it be... graphic novel?) way to - repurpose - the space. They've covered the hateful messages with images of Marvel's newest Ms. Marvel incarnation, a Muslim teenager.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome (in this case)! They should have painted over the URL and more text, too.

My only problem with it is that I couldn't support it if the reverse had happened, so it's hard to be consistent. I think I would prefer to have city buses not allowed to carry such controversial opinions in the first place. It's certainly not the place for that.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's illegal. If you look at the images, they're not painted onto the bus, but stuck on - there are bubbles beneath the surface, like with large stickers. That makes sense, as it's not easy to get access to a bus long enough to do a major piece of artwork.

Someone's stuck a cut-out image over the add, meaning it's not permanent disfigurement and could technically be removed if someone running the buses wanted to remove it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I really don't understand why the City of SF would have ads run by a known hate group on their buses in the first place. What's next? Ads from the Aryan Brotherhood, Westboro Baptist Church, or the KKK?

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I'd be a lot more favorable if the message with Ms. Marvel were stuck next to the original ad, not over it. Expressing a positive message is great; trying to suppress expression of something that offends you is going down the wrong road.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I'd be a lot more favorable if the message with Ms. Marvel were stuck next to the original ad, not over it. Expressing a positive message is great; trying to suppress expression of something that offends you is going down the wrong road.

As a one-time act, that issue bothers me less. If they constantly stuck new stickers on as the old ones were removed, it would bother me more.

Although on a purely philosophical level, it bothers me in ethical terms no matter how they do it, on an emotional level, I am more forgiving.