Curt Rejections

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
In the querying process, am I the only one who gets irritated by curt rejections? I love personalized rejections, I am fine with form rejections (hey, at least they replied, right?), I can handle no response rejections, but lately I've gotten a couple query rejections that just seemed rude.

Stuff along the lines of "Not for us." and that's it. No "Dear author" or "Thanks for submitting" or whatever. Like literally three words in the entire email. Am I being overly sensitive, or would it be nicer to just not reply? I feel like it is the latter but maybe I'm getting worked up over nothing.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say you're being overly sensitive. It's kinder to let people know than to leave them hanging, IMO. And if you've ever had to write a lot of emails in a hurry, you know that sometimes adding any kind of personal touch such as a salutation (Dear Mr. Writer) is more time consuming than it might seem, to the recipient.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I would far prefer a curt rejection to no communication at all. I want to know if they're not interested, so I can cross them off the list and move on.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, different reactions, I guess. I assume they aren't interested as soon as I send the email, until I hear otherwise. I guess if you want the response more than anything it would be better than nothing.

Poor agents can never please anyone.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I find it far more annoying when an agent sends me an e-mail telling me how wonderful they thought my work was, only it just didn't quite suit their list, and then a week later I find out it's a form letter they send to everyone.

At least, "not for me" is straight-up and honest.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, strange to see what other people prefer. Like I said, I'm fine with form or no reply.

I guess I understand the logic behind both of those-- I'm busy, I don't have time to write to you.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I think some agents choose the curt reply because people parse form letters, not realizing they are form letters, and a lot of writers complain about no-response-means-no policies.

It's true, there really is no reliable way to avoid ruffling feathers when you're saying no. :) I've been on that side (not as an agent, but as a book reviewer), and I never found a solution that wouldn't piss off at least a few people (and lead to less civil further correspondence). If I was encouraging, a few people would beg me to at least read their book and give them private feedback, which I didn't have time to do. If I was curt, a few people would argue and try to go above my head for a "second opinion."

When I was querying, I felt the pain of the polite form letter, the Great Silence, and the curt reply. Overall, I kind of preferred the Great Silence because I could just forget that query ever existed. But I didn't personalize my queries much. Had I been really invested in each one, I might have felt like I was getting the cold shoulder when I received no reply at all.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
See, I think I agree with you on The Great Silence, although when there is feedback I do appreciate it.

I don't personalize my queries much, either, though. I don't see the point. If they like what I have to sell they are going to read it whether I know their biography or not. If they don't like what I have to sell they aren't going to read it whether I can tell them their whole life history or not.

Morgan Hunter

Creativity...feel it; live it
Registered
Reaction score
See, I think I agree with you on The Great Silence, although when there is feedback I do appreciate it.

I don't personalize my queries much, either, though. I don't see the point. If they like what I have to sell they are going to read it whether I know their biography or not. If they don't like what I have to sell they aren't going to read it whether I can tell them their whole life history or not.

No! Wrong thinking! You have to personalize, it works, trust me! I've written a ton of query letters in my time and my most recent ones were personalized and that's when I started getting somewhere. They want to know you know them and that you're a good fit for them because you know them!

Keys to a successful Query Letter and publisher relationship:

1-Research the publisher (make sure what you're submitting is what they want to see and edit, edit, edit before submitting!)
2-Address the Editors by name
3-Personalize (Don't just write a blanketed letter, show them you know their publishing house; it's all about them and how you're going to be a good fit because you know them and yourself)
4-Follow Submission instructions/guidelines to a "T"
5-Be Patient!
6-Don't retaliate if you get a rejection!
7-Listen to feedback (if any) and fine-tune your manuscript
8-Resubmit
9-Don't ever give up!

The publisher is not going to care about contracting you if they see that you don't care either. Show them your passion!

Cheers,

~MH~

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I consider curt rejections the norm because people have limited time and lengthy rejections sometimes result in angry stalking for slightly unstable authors.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
No! Wrong thinking! You have to personalize, it works, trust me! I've written a ton of query letters in my time and my most recent ones were personalized and that's when I started getting somewhere. They want to know you know them and that you're a good fit for them because you know them!

Keys to a successful Query Letter and publisher relationship:

1-Research the publisher (make sure what you're submitting is what they want to see and edit, edit, edit before submitting!)
2-Address the Editors by name
3-Personalize (Don't just write a blanketed letter, show them you know their publishing house; it's all about them and how you're going to be a good fit because you know them and yourself)
4-Follow Submission instructions/guidelines to a "T"
5-Be Patient!
6-Don't retaliate if you get a rejection!
7-Listen to feedback (if any) and fine-tune your manuscript
8-Resubmit
9-Don't ever give up!

The publisher is not going to care about contracting you if they see that you don't care either. Show them your passion!

Cheers,

~MH~

No. I am putting in the the effort. Why am I expected to waste my time researching someone who might give me 30 seconds of time?

Janet Reid had a good blog post about this and I agree with her. If there is something I can readily mention to them that shows them I read their submission guidelines (other than following the guidelines), then I do, but otherwise what's the point?

Also, I don't query editors, I'm querying agents. Maybe your advice makes more sense if I were getting in touch with publishers-- I don't know.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I definitely prefer a curt rejection over a letter that feels like an "almost". And I definitely prefer either of those to no response at all.

Rejection finds all sorts of ways to sting.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
I consider curt rejections the norm because people have limited time and lengthy rejections sometimes result in angry stalking for slightly unstable authors.

It is interesting that you say that, since I've only gotten two. Always good to see what other people's experiences are.

Out of I think around 40 queries I've gotten 1 full request (rejected, unfortunately), 5ish personal rejections, 15 or 20 form rejections, two curt rejections, and the rest are no reply or still waiting.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I once got the first page of my sample chapter with "No" written across the top. That was all that was in the envelope.

Back in the day, they really knew how to hurt you.

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
No. I am putting in the the effort. Why am I expected to waste my time researching someone who might give me 30 seconds of time?

Janet Reid had a good blog post about this and I agree with her. If there is something I can readily mention to them that shows them I read their submission guidelines (other than following the guidelines), then I do, but otherwise what's the point?

Also, I don't query editors, I'm querying agents. Maybe your advice makes more sense if I were getting in touch with publishers-- I don't know.

I stand by my advice; publishers and agents alike.

Let me put it this way...when you apply for a job, what's the first thing an employer sees? Your resume and your answers to any questions they may have asked! If your resume and answers to questions are lackadaisical, jumbled, too preachy, incoherent, or simply unedited, you just lost the interview before you even had a chance. The same goes for a query letter. You have to show them you are willing to go the extra mile and that you care about getting published with them! That's what sets YOU apart from EVERYONE ELSE.

Your tone and attitude towards my cordially extended advice says more about you than actually telling you what I think about your mentality. I'm not the enemy here, I'm showing you what has worked for myself and many others like me.

You're not "expected" to do anything in life, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try a little harder every now and again. If everyone had that outlook, nothing would get done.

You don't have to follow or accept my advice; I give it freely. Take it or leave. Do what works for you.

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors regardless of how you get there.

Cheers,

~MH~

Last edited:

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
Your tone and attitude towards my cordially extended advice says more about you than actually telling you what I think about your mentality. I'm not the enemy here, I showing you what has worked for myself and many others like me.

My tone was intended to be neutral, so I apologize if you read it any other way. I was telling you I disagreed with you but not that I took your advice personally.

Every personalized query, except one, that I have sent out has been a no reply. Every "form query," although I'm not so stupid as to not at least change their name at the top when I send it, has done at least better than that. My one full request, referenced above, came from a non-personalized query.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You have to show them you are willing to go the extra mile and that you care about getting published with them! That's what sets YOU apart from EVERYONE ELSE.

That sort of attempted manipulation of a stranger is not only unnecessary, but slightly insulting to agents. They don't need to be courted and flattered.

You can't know that you're a great fit and any ingratiating attempts to convince them at the point of query can easily look disingenuous. In a query, all you need to be is professional, courteous, attentive to the submission guidelines, and have a sample that sparks them to the rest of your manuscript.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

You have to show them you are willing to go the extra mile and that you care about getting published with them! That's what sets YOU apart from EVERYONE ELSE.

I entirely agree with the OP. It's simply uneconomical to spend hours personalising a query that will get ten seconds of consideration at most. Many of my very talented friends racked up 200+ query rejections before getting an agent. If they had lovingly personalised each query, they'd still be querying into next century.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
200 makes me feel better at least! I still have a shot!

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
My tone was intended to be neutral, so I apologize if you read it any other way. I was telling you I disagreed with you but not that I took your advice personally.

Every personalized query, except one, that I have sent out has been a no reply. Every "form query," although I'm not so stupid as to not at least change their name at the top when I send it, has done at least better than that. My one full request, referenced above, came from a non-personalized query.

If I misinterpreted your tone, I apologize. Not trying to make enemies here. I just want to help. I've had good experiences personalizing queries and I thought it was advice I could extend to others for their benefit.

Cheers,

~MH~

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
I entirely agree with the OP. It's simply uneconomical to spend hours personalising a query that will get ten seconds of consideration at most. Many of my very talented friends racked up 200+ query rejections before getting an agent. If they had lovingly personalised each query, they'd still be querying into next century.

I still don't agree with this sentiment. The query is your first impression for an agent, publisher, employer, or otherwise. And it doesn't take "hours", maybe fifteen minutes to a half-hour at most to familiarize yourself with a website and glance at the "About Us" section before writing a letter. I still contend that if you go the extra mile, you'll have more luck retaining an agent or a publisher. It's what sets you apart from others.

Cheers,

~MH~

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
There are some simple personaliztions that can be professional. Using the agent's name, spelled correctly, is a good start. But it gets dicey once you start referencing back your approval of their Mission Statements or dropping mentions that you've read their blogs or social media. The difference between looking thorough and looking stalkerish is not something you want to draw too finely.

Then there are the dangers in aligning your work with their existing list, inviting comparisons that may not stand up as a good thing for any number of reasons.

In the beginning, all you've got is your professionalism and a manuscript. Any gilding risks both.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I still don't agree with this sentiment. The query is your first impression for an agent, publisher, employer, or otherwise. And it doesn't take "hours", maybe fifteen minutes to a half-hour at most to familiarize yourself with a website and glance at the "About Us" section before writing a letter. I still contend that if you go the extra mile, you'll have more luck retaining an agent or a publisher. It's what sets you apart from others.

My feeling :) is that a cursory glance at a website isn't genuine, meaningful personalisation. Personalising a query in a way that would strike a real chord with an agent takes time.

Last edited:

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
There are some simple personaliztions that can be professional. Using the agent's name spelled correctly, is a good start. But it gets dicey once you start referencing back your approval of their Mission Statements or dropping mentions that you've read their blogs or social media. The difference between looking thorough and looking stalkerish is not something you want to draw too finely.

Then there are the dangers in aligning your work with their existing list, inviting comparisons that may not stand up as a good thing for any number of reasons.

In the beginning, all you've got is your professionalism and a manuscript. Any gilding risks both.

I completely agree. I'm not talking about gloating about your alignment and how much you love their blog or whatever, just things like addressing them by their name/s(spelled properly), maybe referencing one or two reasons why your work aligns with their vision or other works represented, and setting a professional tone that shows them you're easy to work with and have a great outlook.

You don't have to be "stalkerish" to show them that you care about your work and what they publish or represent. There is a right way to write a query letter. I know, because I've written quite a few and, while I used to get curt one-liners, I now get paragraph responses from every publisher I submit to with pointers and likes/dislikes about my work--not all the time, but at least 80% of the time. I must be doing something right and I thought I'd share with others.

Once again, I'm not forcing you to take my advice. If you don't agree, then don't agree and move on. However, maybe there's someone out there who will see this and it will help them. That's who I'm posting for.

Cheers,

~MH~

Status
Not open for further replies.