Your Guilty Reading Pleasures?

AngelaG

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a series of books, an author, or a particular which you are ashamed to like?

I loved V. C. Andrew's Dollanganger and Casteel series. Ghostwriter Andrew Neiderman took over and wrote under her name after her death. His Cutler series was good, but the rest of his series stank.

LostGurl

Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel too ashamed. I devoured those books as a young teen. I haven't read them in a long time, but I still have fond memories. Did you read My Sweet Audrina? Andrews wrote that one too (her only stand alone novel) and it's pretty fun in my memory serves me. All the craziness of the Dollanganger books in one novel.

I think one of the reasons that I haven't reread them though is that I suspect they wouldn't hold up as well now. That maybe as an adult poor writing would stand out more.

As for guilty pleasures now.... I don't know I don't really feel guilty about reading! Even if it's not "intellectual". But sometimes when I read something like Penny Vincenzi or something with a very "chick-lit" cover I'll feel a bit embarrassed if people see. Not embarrassed enough to stop doing it though!

AngelaG

Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel too ashamed. I devoured those books as a young teen. I haven't read them in a long time, but I still have fond memories. Did you read My Sweet Audrina? Andrews wrote that one too (her only stand alone novel) and it's pretty fun in my memory serves me. All the craziness of the Dollanganger books in one novel.

I think one of the reasons that I haven't reread them though is that I suspect they wouldn't hold up as well now. That maybe as an adult poor writing would stand out more.

As for guilty pleasures now.... I don't know I don't really feel guilty about reading! Even if it's not "intellectual". But sometimes when I read something like Penny Vincenzi or something with a very "chick-lit" cover I'll feel a bit embarrassed if people see. Not embarrassed enough to stop doing it though!

I remember My Sweet Audrina. Later, I loved Jackie Collins, but her books grew just TOO trashy. I don't have guilty pleasures now. I barely have time or energy to read, but I do so when I have the time.