• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Hocus Pocus & Co.

Faith2faith

Registered
Reaction score
There's a brand-new small publisher with a niche that is right up my alley: dark and macabre stories and novels for MG, YA, and NA.

Here's the URL: http://hocuspocusco.com/about/ and here's their Twitter handle: @HocusPocusCo

They say there's a lack of the spooky genre in the above-mentioned age groups, and I think they're right.

They've been calling for short stories that they want to add to an anthology to be published around Halloween (they're Halloween-themed too).

I've just written a short story to submit to them, but it makes me wary that they don't list who's behind this new company. It could be one of the shady agents or editors we've been hearing about on this forum... who knows?

I hope someone here can give me some feedback - maybe even Victoria herself - that would be awesome. If you have any publishing contacts, maybe you could ask around who are the owners of Hocus Pocus & Co.

I really hope this is legit because I just love their premise.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Since they're new (the website is copyright 2015), there's probably no good or bad stories to go with them. New publishers are always a risk, since most do not make it. If it's hard to find out who's behind the company, that makes it more risky for you, the author, since you have no idea if it's a newbie with good intentions but no experience, a scammer, or someone who has lots of experience. But if they did have lots of experience, I believe they'd make that information easy to find.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The website is registered to Jolene Haley. It seems reasonable to assume that this is the same Jolene Haley who a YA author, and also the same Jolene Haley who is co-owner of an author services provider. It seems to me that there could be a conflict of interest there (pay Jolene to critique your book, and then submit your book to Jolene's press, and they pay Jolene to arrange blog tours for the book that Jolene published....)

So, I'd suggest finding out a bit more info before submitting.

Faith2faith

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses! I've never heard of Jolene Haley, but will try to find out some more about her. Thanks a lot! If I do submit, I'll post some more about my experiences here.

Faith2faith

Registered
Reaction score
I just found out that Jolene Haley already published an anthology of short stories called "Dark Carnival." It's sold in digital format only for $0.99.

I tried the "Look Inside" feature and wasn't impressed by the first short story. It was written in a sort of staccato tone and I found one or two typos. I just bought the full anthology and will report back what I think about the rest of the stories.

JoleneHaley

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

There's a brand-new small publisher with a niche that is right up my alley: dark and macabre stories and novels for MG, YA, and NA.

Here's the URL: http://hocuspocusco.com/about/ and here's their Twitter handle: @HocusPocusCo

They say there's a lack of the spooky genre in the above-mentioned age groups, and I think they're right.

They've been calling for short stories that they want to add to an anthology to be published around Halloween (they're Halloween-themed too).

I've just written a short story to submit to them, but it makes me wary that they don't list who's behind this new company. It could be one of the shady agents or editors we've been hearing about on this forum... who knows?

I hope someone here can give me some feedback - maybe even Victoria herself - that would be awesome. If you have any publishing contacts, maybe you could ask around who are the owners of Hocus Pocus & Co.

I really hope this is legit because I just love their premise.

Hi there.

Thank you so much for the kind words about our premise. I love our premise too! This is Jolene Haley and yes, I've started up a small horror press called Hocus Pocus & Co. You are MORE than welcome to ask me any questions to may have. I'm an open book.

You wont find any books released from us because we don't have any yet, though there is an anthology in the works with a Halloween theme. You're more than welcome to ask me any questions on here, twitter, or by email jolene dot haley at gmail dot com.

My sole mission with this project is to publish books that I love.

Happy writing,

Jolene

Last edited:

JoleneHaley

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it's Me!

The website is registered to Jolene Haley. It seems reasonable to assume that this is the same Jolene Haley who a YA author, and also the same Jolene Haley who is co-owner of an author services provider. It seems to me that there could be a conflict of interest there (pay Jolene to critique your book, and then submit your book to Jolene's press, and they pay Jolene to arrange blog tours for the book that Jolene published....)

So, I'd suggest finding out a bit more info before submitting.

Hi! Yes, you're right. Thanks so much for pointing her in the right direction, towards me! I am the very same Jolene that writes and has opened up a small press Hocus Pocus & Co. I blog over at Pen & Muse and Pen & Muse Press does run author services.

Though I did want to address one thing. Pen & Muse Press has no affiliation with Hocus Pocus & Co. I would never recommend my editorial services to a rejected manuscript and I do not plan on having Pen & Muse Press run any book tours.

I totally understand the hesitation, as with any new press (or agent), I agree. It's SO important to do your homework.

I have to say, though I'm a huge fan of shady, weird things, I try not to run my business as such.

I hope that addresses your fears and if you have any questions, feel free to reach out. I love meeting new people!

Last edited:

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Is the anthology closed for submissions yet?

Edit: Nevermind, I saw the closing date was Feb 28.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jolene, it's great to have you here. I too am interested in the theme. I have some questions. Will books be in ebooks and print? What are the royalty rates? Do you offer advances?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last activity on site was the cover reveal, however anthology indeed published (Amazon). Currently free on KU.

ETA: published another antho in'17. Also free.

Last edited: